PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Game Icons - Character - Gamoron

Gamoron
06-03-2003, 02:49 PM
This looks like a good one. Hopefully I can get some time in to do this one. Good Luck everyone. Looking forward to some awesome work.

Cheers!

wildsheepchase
06-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Good to see you back! Good luck!:thumbsup:

lildragon
06-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by wildsheepchase
Good to see you back! Good luck!:thumbsup:

Likewise ;) rock da house!

-lild

Gamoron
06-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Thanks lild! I'm really busy since getting a job. It's both my salvation and I guess damnation. (?) Anyways they probably wouldn't steal my images if I created them there, but I can't ignore the technicality. So... I've got to work on this here at home, and that doesn't leave me with much time. But here's what I'm concepting. I'm pretty sure I'm going along with this route but it might change. Either way I felt I should post something.

Cheers!

http://www.orbofday.com/images/ConceptGameIcon1.jpg
http://www.orbofday.com/images/ConceptGameIcon2.jpg

Hope you guys like it. I'd really like to add more action depending how I'm feeling about this. I'm thinking about this one a lot. Too many damn influences out there that cross over so many genres. but I don't think FPS needs anything from me. So I think I'll head the RPG adventure route.

nuff ramblin'.

wildsheepchase
06-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Those are some nice looking sketches you've got there:thumbsup:
I'm watching:surprised
:beer:

Gamoron
06-05-2003, 05:13 AM

SEL
06-05-2003, 07:40 AM
good start, missed you on the last one. Ill keep an eye on the progress of this. Finsh! you got a month! :thumbsup:

SEL

Rey
06-05-2003, 08:04 AM
I really like the top sketch, interesting character and expression even at this stage.

OZ
06-05-2003, 12:53 PM
There is nothing to do! U ARE My FAVOURITE 2D ARTIST!
Cool,cool,and again cool!:cool: :buttrock: :bounce:

Gamoron
06-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys. :love:
SEL: I'll try to finish. Looking forward to seeing what you're doing.
Rey: Cheers Man! I hope I can improve on it a lot.
-OZ-: You da shizznit! I hope you're rocking the house in the 3D section man! I'm going to look right now. (edit) I don't see yours. :curious: (edit)

:thumbsup: :D:

schmu_20mol
06-05-2003, 02:48 PM
the top sketch is awesome :) ....hope you've got the time to finish this one

Gamoron
06-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks dude. I'll do my best.

Speaky
06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Great concept sketches there! Your characterisation is superb with just a few lines having been drawn. I visited your website and loved what I saw too.

:thumbsup:

art7sayan
06-09-2003, 04:53 PM
:xtreme:
I'm diggin' your last sketch...yeah a lot of influences but a really really (really) great sketch!
Hope you'll find the time to finish this one!

:wavey:

Gamoron
06-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Cheers guys. I wasn't able to work on it much over the weekend. I had engagements that stole my time. But it was fun. Late last night I made some doodles. I'll post them soon. I think for this image that I'll be shooting for a 70's and eighties ispired Movie Poster layout like the StarWars films. First I gotta get the story figured out.

Thanks for the encouragement!:bounce:

Gamoron
06-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Bad update. But I've done some work. This shows the evil wizard that the Icon must go up against. Also I think the girl who is the love interest is in there too. Ummmm... I'm aiming at an RPG, but I don't want to do an epic storyline. I'm taking cues from smaller scale fantasy like The Innkeeper's Song by Peter S. Beagle. Awesome.

wildsheepchase
06-10-2003, 10:00 AM
It's always interesting to see a page of someone's sketch book. I like the sketch of the villian:thumbsup: It seems like you're on to something there.:beer:

Hellwolve
06-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Gamoron
Bad update. But I've done some work. This shows the evil wizard that the Icon must go up against. Also I think the girl who is the love interest is in there too. Ummmm... I'm aiming at an RPG, but I don't want to do an epic storyline. I'm taking cues from smaller scale fantasy like The Innkeeper's Song by Peter S. Beagle. Awesome.

I love the sketches. Really. But may I ask what the white block is for?

:p

Gamoron
06-10-2003, 03:31 PM
While I was doodling I threw a character in there that doesn't belong in the story. He's a raving mad emperor that, although I like a lot, he's part of a different story and I didn't want him to get mixed up in this. Sorry.

JahnkeKong
06-10-2003, 05:09 PM
this really looks fantastic, in fact looking at these threads is so inspiring I may decide to do a painting instead of a 3d entry!

Hellwolve
06-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Gamoron
While I was doodling I threw a character in there that doesn't belong in the story. He's a raving mad emperor that, although I like a lot, he's part of a different story and I didn't want him to get mixed up in this. Sorry.

Ah, okay. Thought it was censorship for something naughty ;)

digital_rhino
06-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Looks great so far Gamoran! Really dig your style. I would love for you to show me a sketch of my 3d entry character in your style...since I suk at drawing. Your style is how I envisioned him. If ya have the time...check it out.

Cant wait to see more updates :bounce:

Gamoron
06-11-2003, 03:30 AM
Roger!

Gamoron
06-11-2003, 05:25 AM
I pushed myself on it tonight and got some stuff done. But now it's bed time. Here's an update, the layout may change a little but this is pretty much it. An RPG game named "The Apprentice" about a young apprentice who's master, a powerful wizard, casts him down and kidnaps his girl. He must find and rescue her and save his master.

http://www.orbofday.com/images/TheApprentice.jpg

OZ
06-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Ur last attach WROX!!!! WOW!! the little guy in dinamic pose and his puppy ROX! :bounce: Still i think u are the best!
And i hope a day i can buy ur comix! U have To do IT!!!
MMMH not sure to open a 3d thread 4 this challenge....mmh...better start with 2d.....it helps me to focus about all the ideas rolling in my flipped brain!

Gamoron
06-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Cheers Dude!:beer:

davemcd
06-11-2003, 04:04 PM
very nice sketches. I really like the feel of the very first one and love your style. Cant wait to see some more.

Gamoron
06-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks Dave. I liked the original too, but felt I needed to get some more action into it. I may end up painting that one later though.

Jake
06-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Damn! Great composition!!

Gamoron
06-11-2003, 07:38 PM
Cheers Dude! When are you and you're sister going to update?

Jake
06-11-2003, 07:49 PM
I've been sending her stuff via email which she has been uploading to the thread. There's at least one update in the pipeline, but it doesn't look like she's gotten to it yet. I think she's probably overloaded at the moment working on two things at once.
Anyway, this is the first time we've collaborated on a cgtalk challenge, so we don't really have the process down.

Hamsterhead
06-11-2003, 08:04 PM
I really like the expressions in this peice, like the over-exagerated look of anger/ pain/ whatever on the lead, its genious

Dave Black
06-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Fantastic work, man. You illustration skills are simply breath-taking...I literally gasped when I saw them, and then slowly began uttering all sorts of foul things under my breath.

Really looking forward to seeing where you take this.

-3DZ

:D

Virtuoso
06-12-2003, 09:20 PM
What can one say.................Just sit back and enjoy is what i will be doing.You know it's going be great.bring it on Gamoron,bring it on.:thumbsup: :beer:

Pancreas
06-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Great sketches, the lines are full of energy, as the last character´s pose. Love the last composition, that should do a great box cover or poster. The little pet imitating the apprentice pose is really funny.

Go go go! :bounce:

Gamoron
06-13-2003, 03:36 AM
Cheers guys.

Zealot: I hope you're aying nice things now. Unless its to some dummy. :D

Virtuoso: It's already been broughten... I think. :scream:

Pancreas: :thumbsup: I wish he could march around that town your working on.

Now I'm stumped. I've been thinking about my composition and I was thinking of changing it. Not completely. But changing it. Centering her and taking out the guys on the right and then changing the apprentice. Making him in a more pensive pose like the first image I drew. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should quickly do it up and ask what you all think then.

Gamoron
06-13-2003, 04:49 AM
So I did this...

http://www.orbofday.com/images/TheApprentice2.jpg

But I might still do both ideas. Keeping the same background.

Rey
06-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Nice dynamic pose and compsition.
You should definatly go with this one .

I agree with Pancreas this would look great as as a cover or poster piece.

OZ
06-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Y O U A R E T O O G R E A T ! :drool:

W o r d l e s s !:eek:

EXCITED!(not sexually:p )

:buttrock:

Totyo
06-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Piouuuf ! Really nice composition ! dynamic, expressionfull (I don't know if I can say that in english ;) ! Nothing wrong to say !

cleptocat
06-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Wow Gamoron this really has a lot of energy to it. Really digging this.

Gamoron
06-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Rey: Cheers Mate. I'm feeling better about it now. I'm trying to make it a poster design

-OZ-: Glad you're keeping yourself under control.;) Coming from a guy whos work I respect so much, I'm so happy.:beer:

Totyo: Thanks for saying nothing but good things.:thumbsup:

cleptocat: Cheers man. I'm glad you like it. I've been starting to second guess it.:buttrock:

SEL
06-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Hey Gamoron,

looking good but it feels unbalanced now with the female on the left side and nothing on the right. I really like how everything is coming together. A suggestion I was thinking when I saw this would be to have this awesome atmosphere over your main character with tons of ships or amazing sky etc. Then have that blend into the older guy above as if hes controlling everything. Then have a perspective shift where a ton of depth like in 3d, goes from the little gremlins to the main character. Just an idea thrown up in the air to help out. Looking forward to that next update, either way I know its going to come out great..

SEL:buttrock:

Gamoron
06-13-2003, 11:34 PM
That is actually an awesome suggestion dude. I've been mulling over what to do about all this space around him. It is a little too bland there eh? Maybe I'll have to expand the canvas. Great Idea!:beer: :beer: :wavey:

Gamoron
06-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Update. I was trying to implement SEL's suggestions and I came up with this. I felt that it looked odd having him looking the way he did without something before him. So I've stuck a generic dude in front of him and increased the canvas size. I'll be working more on the BG as well I want to come up with something creative for the demons.

http://www.orbofday.com/images/TheApprentice3.jpg
C&C welcome!

Virtuoso
06-16-2003, 04:50 AM
Yes Gamoron,yes this works.That was a very good suggestion from Sel.It seems you have killed two birds with one stone.The space to the right,and now an antagoniser of some kind........I'll let you work out the details of what this being will be.;)

Nice stap forward.it's a very good move this new version.It also somehow makes me think Tim Burton somehow,and Van Gogh.Oh well looking very good,keep it up.:thumbsup: :beer:

Gamoron
06-16-2003, 05:00 AM
Cheers Virtuoso! I'm browsing other artists work all over the place. Its good to hear you like it. :D I want to nail a good image down here. :thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
06-16-2003, 05:02 AM
Wow! It's looking fantastic:thumbsup:
I really like the color scheme you've got going, too. I think the two characters in the foreground are going to do an excellent job of leading your eye into the painting. Can't wait to see it done:D

Rey
06-16-2003, 05:45 AM
Nice facial expression.

It seems like you should push the creature in the right foreground
a little further to the right or scaled down a little so he doesnt cover your main characters hand as much, especially with that cool energy field around his hands. (why hide it).

art7sayan
06-16-2003, 05:52 AM
Cool one,Gamoron!

Yeah, I was thinkin' the same thing that Rey for the generic char on the foreground, I agree with him.

Go on! :buttrock:

shaangfx
06-16-2003, 07:54 AM
ya seems preety promising wrk comin up!

all the bst! ;love to c the making of it!

Gamoron
06-16-2003, 02:29 PM
@ wildsheepchase: I've limited myself to a smaller palette. Normally when I need a colour I just grab anything from the picker, I think that's why I feel my stuff is always too saturated and mixed up. Cheers!:thumbsup:

@ Rey: I think you're right dude. I'm gonna do that. I might do some concepts for the demon. I don't want him dominating so much (and blocking that hand). Though I was thinking of shifting his hand, but now the more I think on it, I think it would look good if the light was silhouetting the demon.:buttrock: Thanks!

@ art7sayan: I'll do it, I'll do it!:D Your website gave me some ideas for the demon. No worries though I won't do any total hacks! Just inspiration.:beer:

@ shaangfx: Good to see another Canuck in the running! :D I'm off to check yours right now.

Mangled Poly
06-16-2003, 07:18 PM
nice concept, awesome layout/design of the piece i want to see more!

shaangfx
06-18-2003, 04:18 AM
update!!! we want update!!!:beer: :bounce:

Gamoron
06-18-2003, 05:18 PM
hehehe. I'm going to try to get something in this weekend at the latest. I'm taking off after that for week's vacation. But I should be able to get something in soon.

Amir
06-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Cool concept and cooler characters, best of luck and eh... enjoy youre vecation :)

Gamoron
06-18-2003, 09:50 PM
Cheers Amir!:thumbsup:

Neox
06-24-2003, 12:09 AM
i really like that picture, nice style and really well designed :thumbsup:

Gamoron
06-24-2003, 12:29 AM
Thanks Neox. I'm loving the work you've done in your thread.:thumbsup:

@ everyone:

I wasn't able to update folks and I leave on Wednesday for my Vacation. I'll be back after July 2nd and hopefully will have an update within a few days after that.

Carlocki
06-26-2003, 01:49 PM
I like your drawings

....................from Toronto like an Hurricane

OZ
06-26-2003, 02:04 PM
RRRROX!!!!!.....yuuhuuuu!!...suppacool!......
but is a sin that the shadow like character in very first field,cover the boy a little!:applause:

Gamoron
07-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Cheers Carlocki and -OZ-! I haven't had an opportunity to update. Bermuda made me lazy. But here's the latest, working on it some more tonight.

EDIT: This is the most recent update. Still some more tweaking to do.
http://www.orbofday.com/images/TheApprentice4.jpg

Gamoron
07-09-2003, 05:40 AM
Image is a little darker from compression, but close enough.

shaangfx
07-09-2003, 08:16 AM
dont forget to post it! tonight!
want to c more!:beer:

jgb
07-09-2003, 11:13 PM
hey gamoron, great work :buttrock:

i would suggest some tweaking on the color of the grass, it seems too green for a night scene, in my opinion, try to desaturate it just a bit and add some brown tones. i suppose it' would work better :)

also some simple shadows on the bear would add them more volume and detail.

hope it helps... and good luck :)

Gamoron
07-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Cheers jgb. I've got some more work to do on it. It's not a night scene. Compression just darkened it a lot.

pigwater
07-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Gamoron ... this is really comin along sweet .... lovin the composition .... i like how you've mixed so many elements into it

yah , is does look pretty night-time right now though ... will look for the uncompressed version :beer:

Virtuoso
07-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Finally back in action,and I am very happy for that.This looks like Vangogh meets Tim Burton..........and thats a very good thing.It really is avery nice looking piece of work.As always gamoron excellent.:thumbsup: :applause:

Gamoron
07-12-2003, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys! Last update. I'm not doing anymore than this. I know its loose, but that seems to be how I'm doing things these days.

http://www.orbofday.com/images/TheApprentice5.jpg

Hellwolve
07-12-2003, 11:31 AM

Looks good! And with those white eyes of his, I wonder wich one is more evil ;)

OZ
07-15-2003, 11:02 AM
:bowdown: M A X I M U M R E S P E C T ! ! ! ! :bowdown:

Gamoron
07-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks -OZ-, you da MAN!:thumbsup:

Pancreas
07-15-2003, 06:15 PM
I love how it turned out, really dig it very much. The skeleton on the foreground is great, gives depth and doesn´t cover much of the background (a smart chose, the thinnest enemy).

the scene is readable quite easily, colors and light sources center the composition and leads the eye.

The girl´s faces should be smoother, blending the strokes, I´d add stars, or those bugs with light in the arse, wossname, as a replacement of the red eyes (i like them, but at first sight I thought they were rose petals, too much American Beauty for me?)

The apprentice´s grimace is great, but the raw white eyes and teeth makes him evil, or at least slighty aggressive.
I love the lousy strokes, give movement and vigor, but some areas could get a little more work so the piece could bear a more detailed observation (I mean, people touching the screen with the nose).
I like the font and place of the text, great piece!

Gamoron
07-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Thanks Pancreas I'll probably do those changes. I think this guy is going into further development.

Aelius
07-25-2003, 09:17 PM
I love this one!!:applause:

Gamoron
07-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Hey thanks man! I didn't think anyone would be responding back here.

Cheers!

Aelius
07-26-2003, 03:52 PM
I wuz bored and in need of inspiration. Where better to find it than in the murky depths of the CGtalk basement!!!!??:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.