PDA

View Full Version : Game Icons - Character - Dargon

Dargon
06-03-2003, 02:47 PM
Ooooh, this is definately something I can sink my teeth into...

Started this sketch on me lunchbreak, gonna se where it goes from here.

Concept:

Robotic foot soldier for a Fantasy/Scifi type RTS. Think final fantasy with a grittier edge.

I'll polish this sketch over the next few days, get the idea firmly in mind before tackling the modeling...

EDIT added link to CGChallenge pic, so you all don't have to go to the end of the post to see... EDIT

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/24430/36_large.jpg

ofir3dvb
06-03-2003, 05:52 PM
wow look really goodddd man!!

Kid-Mesh
06-04-2003, 03:06 AM
Looks sweet!... Reminds me of the characters from the PS2 game KINETICA

Dargon
06-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Did a bit more work on the sketch - just doing a bit over each lunchbreak, so it'll take me a little while...

Whirlwind
06-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Wow, nicely done.

-D

Stygian
06-05-2003, 10:22 PM
good character dargon and that pose deffinitley has that "you'll want me right up until I kill you appeal to it" :applause:

Apt Pupil
06-06-2003, 04:59 AM
I am very interested in this thread:cool:

Nice concept you got there so far.

goodlag
06-06-2003, 08:29 AM
wow sexy robot :thumbsup:

Dargon
06-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Cheers guys!

I shall do my best not to let you down!

Here's today's lunchbreak update on the sketch:

Grooveholmes
06-08-2003, 01:42 PM
I'm digging the design so far man, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Goodluck

DimitrisLiatsos
06-09-2003, 01:27 PM
:buttrock: This is so great....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dargon
06-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Glad you guys are likin' it so far...:D

Here's a bit more...

illOgic
06-09-2003, 04:44 PM
ohhhh thats sexy. :)

Dargon
06-11-2003, 02:59 PM
OK, this is the last post for sketches...

Already started on the model, but I'll post when I have something real to show...:)

davemcd
06-11-2003, 05:09 PM
cant wait to see the model to see what you decide will be model detail and what will be texture detail... keep it up

DaveMcD

Dargon
06-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Hoping this link will work. My first try for linking to other sites for images...

It's just a start on the model, around the 1300 tris mark. Adding hands will pump that up quite a bit, but I think I should have plenty to work with getting it up to 4k. Gotta keep some room for weapons, tho...

EDIT: Liking didn't work out for me... I'll have to try later...
Here;s a low-res post of the image-

Dargon
06-15-2003, 01:09 AM
Here-

Virtuoso
06-16-2003, 06:59 AM
Beautiful elegant design.Almost surreal,mystical in a way. Somehow abit like Samus from the Metroid series.I like the style look very much Dargon.:thumbsup: :beer:

Dargon
06-27-2003, 03:07 AM
Cheers Virtuoso!:)

Well, after a oh too breif vacation to the Western Isles of Scotland, I'm back to add a bit more...

1st off, a bit more story background.

So it's a Real Time Strategy game, based in a fantasy world, filled with sword, sorcery, and odd part magical, part machinery robotic warriors.

A number of different armies would be up for playing, with the simple humans, the beast masters, the Dark Aeldir, and the Fenrithe, wizard warriors who bring machinations to life with a powerful element, magica.

This particular character is a golem knight, created to be relatively lightwieght, so she can ride golem steeds, such as mechanical horses and dragons.

I imagine the game to have a Warcraft style of play, with Homeworld style controls (Orbiting around a single unit, complicated order system, being able to zoom in to watch the action)

Of course, this is the highest res version of her (or will be), and there would have to be LODs for the further away ones.

To finish: an update to the modeling...

Mangled Poly
06-27-2003, 07:55 PM
awesome work so far wish you could post bigger images.. Get some hosting dammnit! :)

Jonny Bubonic
07-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Hey Darg...looking nice so far, but I wouldn't mind seeing it with more stylised proportions. I like the long-legged anime style, and I reckon this might suit this character, make it look sleeker and more elegant. Just an opinion though...

Dargon
07-03-2003, 01:14 AM
Thx Mangled Poly! I'll be posting some bigger ones at CGChallenge whilst I attempt to get some hosting...

Cheers Mr. Bubonic!:beer: Check the update, and tell me if you think I'm heading in the right direction...

I think I may be changing the concept of the game... not sure if I want it to be a RTS anymore, especially with the polycount and texture sizes. I'll post later if I come up with something.

Pretty much finished modeling, I have a bit more space on my texture sheet for more wargear, though. With the sword, I come in at 3414 polys, so there's some room there too.

Mapped my UV's, but I still need to paint the textures properly.

Dargon
07-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Just a quick update - a bit of the texturing done, lots to go tho...

Virtuoso
07-06-2003, 10:44 PM
I am impressed most with the style and feel,nice job.Come on you can add some more polys....you know you want to....:p

The days of highere poly counts are getting closer you know...don't listen to me,I love high poly counts.;)

Anyways,I think you have an impressive piece here,nice look,the style is very nice.get it textured and you have a true contender for sure.:thumbsup:

Dargon
07-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Cheers Virtuoso! Glad you're liking it! I may just yet add a couple of extra polys here and there, if I have time after doing the textures...

So, just a quick update after a few hours work, just working my way down the character.

Crits are welcome, of course...

NOV
07-07-2003, 10:52 AM
nice work, Dargon! the texture is coming along nicely. there is only one thing i can say about the model/texture is that the chest is a little bit small in proportion, as well as in compairison to your concept drawing. other than that, it's coming along really nice:thumbsup: looking forward to see it finished.

Dargon
07-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Glad you're liking it [NOV], losta work left to do still, but I hope to have a good showing.

As far as the chest goes, a lot of it has to do with the angle and the pose, but I want to keep it subtle, 'cause she's a robot, and doesn't actually have any use for them...

Getting Maya 5 this week, so I should be able to start using GI!!!

I'll have another post of progress tonight, I'm sure...

:wavey:

Apt Pupil
07-07-2003, 01:34 PM
I would also have to agree with [NOV]. I find the chest a wee bit small too. Perhaps it's because the outer green areas are taking up to much of the chest area. Also, I find that both circles to either side (the pieces that look like they are holding the arms to the shoulder) could be made much bigger.

Other than that, it's shaping up nicely. This will be a great piece once it's finished:thumbsup:

Dargon
07-08-2003, 02:09 AM
I got a bit of an update for y'all, redid some of the proportions, as per crits both in and out of CGTalk, - I resised the disks off her shoulders, shifted the position of the shoulder pads, lengthed the top part of her arms, and lengthed her legs as well. Oh, and I minutely upsized her chest, but not by much, 'cause she's both a warrior, where they really wouldn't help, and a robot, where breasts at all don't really make sense...

Changed the colour scheme a bit, I had always intended for more of a brass kinda look, and it was getting way too orange.

I'm trying to link to geocities here, if nothing shows up, I'll attempt to fix it later (tell me if you get nothing), but I am also posting this on CGChallenge, you can check it out there...

Cheers for your crits, keep 'em up!!
:beer:

EDIT: Ack! link didn't work, try this

EDIT AGAIN: Nope, that won't take either. Any hints? In the meantime, I'll post a little version, and check the CGChallenge one for a bigger version. Grrr.

Dargon
07-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Here.

Apt Pupil
07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
To link your image from your challenge site's entry, just right click on the image, go to properties, and then highlight and select the address {URL} and copy it. Then, paste that text here between this -->

paste text here

As for your modifications so far, [NOV] and I were not refering to her breasts size:p We were talking about her chest in general. From her side view, all vertices . . . actually, I think an image would be faster at this point. I hope you don't mind, I always get a little worried when I modify someone's art but it's so much quicker:

Image deleted

As for your color improvements, yup, it's alot better this time around, and I exspecially like how you improved her legs and arms.

Keep up the good work dude!!:beer:

Dargon
07-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Cheers Apt Pupil!

Thanks for the input! I think I'll take some of your advice to heart!

(not all, the shoulder pads stay pretty much as is.)

Thanks for the tip of using the CGChallenge site to link to... ...that will help a lot.

Apt Pupil
07-09-2003, 01:29 AM
No problem, I find that the larger shoulder pads makes her look more feminine anyways. As for everything else, see and use what works:)

Just be sure to get this great piece finished, it's coming along great!!

Dargon
07-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Got a bit more doe, this is really getting down to the wire!

Rigging is as about 75% done, texturing at about 85%. Only 2 more evenings to get it done. It's not going to be easy to finish, but I'm going to have to... ...tommorow's going to be a long night...:shrug:

Thanks to Apt Pupil, here's a larger pic, straight from the CGChallenge site:

*SEE NEXT POST*

Dargon
07-11-2003, 02:52 AM
Well, she could use a bit more work, of course, but I think she's done enough to submit. Would've liked to make a bump map, and a bit more weaponry (even left some polys and texture space). Probably will add the extras over the next little while anyways...

Cheers to all who helped me out, and to those who gave crit! It was a lot of fun working on this!:beer:

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/24430/36_large.jpg

Dargon
07-11-2003, 06:37 PM
As to the contest rules, here's the shaded front 3/4 view:

Dargon
07-11-2003, 06:39 PM
As to the contest rules, here's the shaded rear 3/4 view: (and wire, like the last one)

ionanism
07-12-2003, 11:08 AM
I just got to say you’re concept sketch is awesome, well you whole project is, but my question pertains to your concept sketch. Do you have a wacom tablet or did you do all that with just a mouse? Just wondering.

Virtuoso
07-12-2003, 11:19 AM
You did very well dargon,cheers to your talent and to your effort,I think you have a very good contender here.Nice feel,look,and style.Very nice.:thumbsup: :beer:

Dargon
07-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Cheers Virtuoso! It's been a fun project, I'm already looking forwrd to the next one! ...maybe something more cartoony this time...

ionanism: I do have a Wacom tablet - they rock! Never used one until about 8 months ago, I did everything with a mouse before that. The tablet is great, but I can't seem to get used to pressure sensitivity, so everything here is with that turned off. It certainly saved me a lot of time, tho. Thanx for the compliments! Your stuff is looking quite good as well!

Jonny Bubonic
07-13-2003, 05:05 AM
Hey Darg...turned out really nice. I like the proportions now I'm not seeing it in that bind pose of yours :) See you soon dude and good luck in the comp. :beer:

Ivars
07-17-2003, 08:07 AM
This is superb work. I really like that design. And what an exciting challenge this is!!! :eek:

Chris88
07-17-2003, 08:16 AM
great work. Terrific design.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.