PDA

View Full Version : MayaMan 1.2 Released!

Noxerus
06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Finally, a Maya 5.0 version of an extremely good Maya to RIB translator :)

CGmonkey
06-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Awesome.. any links perhaps? :)

Sentenza
06-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Isn't Mayaman from Animalogic ... So its Animalogic.com I think ... !

Yes ...: http://www.animalogic.com/research/mayaman/

roger
06-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Here is the link (http://www.animalogic.com/research/mayaman/onlinedocs/WhatsNew.html) to get the release notes on MayaMan.

Array
06-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I dont see why anyone would spend $2000 on this when there are production proven tools like liquid out there. plus, mTOr only costs $3000 (slim, alfred, it, mtor plugin).

maybe for under a thousand dollars this would be worth considering.....

Flinch
06-04-2003, 12:35 AM
don't you think mayaman isn't production proved?? do you think they use mtor or even liquid for the vfx they've done for matrix reloaded or hero (just to name the lastest ones.) and it isn'T their first rib-exporter they wrote, which is used in professional productions. (e.g. softman was used years ago in godzilla...). and i won't compare liquid with mayaman. of course weta used liquid and as we all saw the last years, it did a great job. but they had the guy who developed it sitting right in their house. and imho liquid is by far not so complete and "user-friendly" for the normal artist who hasn't that strong knowledge of coding rman-shaders for example. of course it's better if you've some knowledge about renderman when using it, but with mayaman i would say almost everyone can use it. so you can only make a fair comparisson with mtor. and for 2/3 of the price of mtor it's really worth considering.

Array
06-04-2003, 01:38 AM
i thought matrix reloaded used mentalray and an in-house connection to said software? i could be wrong.

but as far as mayaman goes, it's obviously priced towards production studios. why would these larger studios need to worry about not having someone around that knows a thing or two about renderman? chances are if they can afford a few liscences of prman, they will also have a few TD's around to look after it as well, hence the viability of liquid in such an environment.

Flinch
06-04-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Array
i thought matrix reloaded used mentalray and an in-house connection to said software? i could be wrong.

ah.. sorry. i only meant the animal logic contribution to matrix reloaded. escfx used mr alot from what i read about it. but as there are a lot of the big cg-houses involved in the making of the matrix you can't really say the matrix-stuff was done with mr or renderman anyway.

i only wanted to give my opinion as mayaman-user, that mayaman isn't out of the race only because there's liquid for free and mtor for "only" 1000$/license more than mayaman.

Array
06-04-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Flinch
ah.. sorry. i only meant the animal logic contribution to matrix reloaded. escfx used mr alot from what i read about it. but as there are a lot of the big cg-houses involved in the making of the matrix you can't really say the matrix-stuff was done with mr or renderman anyway.

i only wanted to give my opinion as mayaman-user, that mayaman isn't out of the race only because there's liquid for free and mtor for "only" 1000$/license more than mayaman.

yeah, i guess it is a decent alternative. i bet they did more business when entropy was still around though.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.