PDA

View Full Version : shader strategy for partickle tail?

dougie0047
08-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi. So, I have this problem with a particle animation I'm doing right now. Basically, I am emmiting from the surface of a NURBS obj. that has a white glow material applied. This "meteor (just for lack of a better words). This object looks like a an elongated drop and should leave behind it a trail of particles.
My problem is that I cannot seem to get the trailmaterial/shading right, the way I want it. I have tried multipoint, multistreak and particles cloud types, but I don't seem to be getting the look I want.

One of the problems I have with multistreaks, for example, seems to be that when emitting from surface you get a nice distribution of particles, but they are emitted along the normal of the surface. That doesn't look very realistic when emitted from an object that moves fast along a motioncurve, with particles that only live around 1.5 seconds...

It should not look like smoke, but more like a trail of twinkling lights or similar, starting with the same glowing white color that the light/meteor has, and then quickly fade to a random range.

Does anyone know a good strategy for getting this to work?

Some suggestions would be great! :-)

Dougie

phix314
08-28-2008, 04:11 PM
There's a pretty sweet tutorial at gnomonology that goes over how to make pixie dust... I don't want to steal the spotlight, so I'd check that out and adapt it.

dougie0047
08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Yes, that looks pretty damn good. I went ahead and bought it right away, and am downloading (slowly) as I write. Not exactly what I need, but it should be customizable for my purposes.

Thanks a lot phix314!

Dougie

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.