PDA

View Full Version : The Drakus Stone, Boyd Lake (3D)

BoydLake
06-03-2003, 11:47 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3193/the_drakus_stone_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3193/the_drakus_stone.jpg)

Just something I put together recently

It turned into sort of an homage to Luis Royo. You'll note
the obvious cues... chick....sword....inexplicable
highlights and lighting effects.... etc.. ;)

As always, suggestions and helpful critique are welcome.

Later,

-Boyd

P.S. Shag:Hair.....goood. :)

baka-raven
06-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Really nice Boyd!! Love the whole concept :D
Lots of really nice details :)
No crits from here! to good for crits hehe :)

Psycholink
06-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Very nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:D

hypercube
06-03-2003, 12:40 PM
oops, you did it again :p :D

Really great stuff, like all the little details on her gauntlets. :thumbsup:

Nice inexplicable highlights too, definitely with the Royo vibe. Only thing kinda distracting me when I look at it is the clouds in back seem a little hasty, and the big light blue spot on the moon behind the sword hilt..but keep returning to focus on her, so it's all good.

danne82
06-03-2003, 12:59 PM
is that 3d? Looks like a drawing in some way... luv it anyway!! :thumbsup:

mccordia
06-03-2003, 02:00 PM
I realy like your style, it's realy a shame you didn't do your own composition...

curious to see more...

digital_realm
06-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Wow, what a great image. No critics here it's just awesome.

lildragon
06-03-2003, 04:20 PM
I sincerely hope this was entered into Expose ;) [plugged]

-lild

swampthing
06-03-2003, 04:27 PM
i really like it, the work is top notch, but the focus of the picture is very very odd and leaves me not liking the picture as a whole. cutting her off at the neck really moves the focus of the picture to a strange place. It seems like you want us to look at the sword hilt and not her and considering there's nothing really to look at on the sword hilt....

paintbox
06-03-2003, 04:28 PM
This is top-stuff, superb ! What's so cool about it is the hand drawn feel to it..:thumbsup:

I have to agree with the moon being a bit too distracting, maybe if you desaturate it just a bit, it would push it to the background.

sarfarazsoomro
06-03-2003, 04:31 PM
good work.. really like that:)

goodlag
06-03-2003, 04:35 PM
wow :drool: Pretty sweet:drool:
great work :thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
06-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Woooooouuu!! Great Job! She is so beautifull !:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

insanepoly
06-03-2003, 04:39 PM
How did you ever get Shag to turn out this way? You are a Shag god(pardon the expression):bounce: :bounce:

Askhanir
06-03-2003, 04:51 PM
I like Luis Royo and your hommage is excellent !!! :applause:

tyio
06-03-2003, 05:14 PM
i'm trying to make hair , you're job is awesome, but , could you give up some explication about the setup for shag ??

Signal2Noise
06-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Va-va-voom!:eek:

:thumbsup:

Dreamwave
06-03-2003, 05:23 PM
wow great, she reminds me of the chick from WIII (can't remember her name :shame: )

edit: Jaina Proudmoore :buttrock: :)

FatherGlory
06-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Excellent Work :beer:

braam
06-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Love her piercing blue eyes. Which application did you use? Good job!

mattregnier
06-03-2003, 05:47 PM
That is the best use of Shag:Hair I've EVER seen. You absolutely have mastered it and must share some of your tricks :D I thought it was another photoshop image, but now i'll have to join the bandwagon and say I must see a wireframe :)

Waz
06-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Soo sweet man, jsut like everyone else I need to know how to do that with SHAG, is there any tutorials you found, or jsut playing around with it?

I wanna use it for my character, or does anyone know of a better hair plug in for 3ds max?

FatAssasin
06-03-2003, 06:22 PM
I agree with everyone else one the awesome use of Shag: Hair. I'm guessing you're using a lot of custom splines to shape the hair, and that it's only set up to look good from this particular angle. I'd really love to get some insight into your Shag setup.

Oh, and the rest of the piece is cool too. ;)

Boristone
06-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Excellent work!!!....very pretty girl men !!!... and amazing treatment of the plug-in shag-hair!!

Congratulations...:thumbsup:

Regards

Reality3D
06-03-2003, 06:42 PM
The hair shape and skin tone are very good indeed!

shaangfx
06-03-2003, 06:56 PM
bravo... ur wrks have always been remarkable!:bounce: :beer:

BoydLake
06-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone!

I have to add a caveat to my comments about Shag:Hair before people get the wrong idea.

For all of the still images I do, there's a reasonable amount of overpaint mainly to save time. The great advantage to working this way is that much of the hair is rendered by Shag and that gives me all of the color pallete I need to quickly finish the job.

And since I can't paint as well as Shag renders, much of the overpaint is done to integrate the two techniques. I also add volume using overpainting. Shag saved me a bunch of time on this image, so I thought I'd plug them. I love using their plugin especially for still image rendering. When I get home this evening, I'll post a wireframe and show the hair splines.

The specifics of my setup are that for every major hair clump, there is either a unique emitter element, or a unique emitter object. Every vertex has it's own custom modelhair/spline. this is the only way to get the control needed to render the hair this way.

Thanks again for the comments!

P.S. the_hand....that was funny! I'm going to tell my wife about my new title! She'll get a bang out of that one for sure!

Lander
06-03-2003, 07:17 PM
It looks to me like the last joint on her left hand fingers bend a little unatural. But maybe it's only me having a problem with only bending the last joint. Besides that totally nice.

Markuss
06-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Wow, really nice! Looks more like a digital painting than a 3d rendering! I would also like to know how you got the results with shag hair (other than the overpainting). I have struggled a bit with it on my model, but I haven't got any great results...

I'm also looking forward to "Shave and A Haircut" coming out for Max, since that looks very promising. Does anyone know when? It seems to take forever....

Keith Young
06-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Beautiful work as usual! I love the features of her face.:thumbsup:

KOKE
06-03-2003, 08:10 PM
great job!!!!

but i dont like the girl being cut from the neck, it makes a strange composition.

:thumbsup:

Indus
06-03-2003, 08:20 PM
:applause: That my friend is some nice work. Clean....neat and great concept.

Animator395
06-03-2003, 11:14 PM
amazing lighting. I find that to be one of the hardest things to get right.

xeno
06-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Looking very nice! compisition looks tight and i love the palette u used

Vexed
06-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Gorgeous image! I love the look of her hair quite an amazing plug in. Very nice attention to detail, thanks for the new wallpaper:thumbsup:

BadKarma
06-04-2003, 12:21 AM
oh dear that is very good mate. what software did u use? some rendering advise wouldnt go a miss :d

only one problemi can see wiv it tho... dont no if anyone has said this yet but her left eye i think it should be slightly darker. becuase you have the shadow over half of her face.
i know that the eyes would stand out neway because of the light... but the shadow would have some sort of impact surely?

only a suggestion rather then a cit.

BadKarma

Tero
06-04-2003, 12:51 AM
VERY pleasing to the eyes. :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Volcandro
06-04-2003, 12:53 AM
A beautiful painting with great details.

mage111
06-04-2003, 01:13 AM
i think mr.royo shows a bit more skin then you showed ;-).

but i still really likes yours man, great work
<3 it

dimitrios_c
06-04-2003, 01:54 AM
The highlights on the hair don't look quite right to me, other then that it rocks and should definately be entered into EXPOSE.

dazrenius
06-04-2003, 03:44 AM
She is one sweet, beautiful evil chick.....oh! i luv her so much!!!:love:

facial
06-04-2003, 05:01 AM
very nice work, Keep post up more.:thumbsup:

DSedov
06-04-2003, 05:03 AM
Amazing, isnt it =)

ToBSn
06-04-2003, 08:20 AM
wow, looks really great, nice nice. :applause:

Werner
06-04-2003, 09:39 AM
wow, she is beautiful! great work Boyd!

She reminds me of the people in " Frank Herbert's Children of Dune " with those blue eyes. :drool:

DSedov
06-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Askhanir
I like Luis Royo and your hommage is excellent !!! :applause:

Kuis Royo is really amazing. There is also an artis called Boris ... forgot his lastname. He paints in a similar style as Royo.

FabioMSilva
06-04-2003, 09:46 AM
sweet

grihan
06-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Very good!! Although I'm not a big Luis Royo fan (too many highlights, always drops of sweat,etc) but I like your image very much....I always like 3d images that look as 2d...

keep up the good work!

Magius
06-04-2003, 03:44 PM
There are tears in my eyes!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry:

lildragon
06-06-2003, 11:40 AM
:bowdown: seriously... I mean wow those eyes and lips, the entire face is wonderful! And you're officially the Shag master... er let me rephrase that the "Shag:Hair" master ;) much better. And I must say I'm sorry you didn't finished in time for this issue of Expose, but do get it in for the next. BTW how much work was done in post?

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Boristone
06-06-2003, 04:48 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by DSedov
Kuis Royo is really amazing. There is also an artis called Boris ... forgot his lastname. He paints in a similar style as Royo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boris Vallejo is the entire name and is an Peruvian Artist who lives in New York, i think so...His work is really outstanding.

Regards from Peru.

BoydLake
06-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
:bowdown: seriously... I mean wow those eyes and lips, the entire face is wonderful! And you're officially the Shag master... er let me rephrase that the "Shag:Hair" master ;) much better. And I must say I'm sorry you didn't finished in time for this issue of Expose, but do get it in for the next. BTW how much work was done in post?

Shag Master......I love it! Thanks for the comments and the award. You've made my day. :)

For still images, I do a great deal of post work for things like hair and color processing. While I'm a great believer in letting the 3d rendering take care of what it's designed to do, there's always "something" to do to improve the image. I do a lot of color processing with Photoshop and strategic blurring etc. to get rid of general CG cleanliness.

Here's a bit more on the Shag setup:

Screencap 1 (http://www.rainbowstudios.com/people/boydl/shag_setup_1.gif) shows a screen-cap of the model with model hairs.

Note that there's a full head of hair, that's because I used a hair set-up built for another project and altered it. I've revealed all of the unused model hairs from the complete hair setup to show my basic approach to creating a layered hair-do. Only the splines hanging down and forward were edited to be used for the final image.

Screencap 2 (http://www.rainbowstudios.com/people/boydl/shag_setup_2.gif) shows the emitters for the hair set-up.

The red highlighted faces show the emitters used for the image, the rest is from the old setup. Note that the model hairs start at the emitter vertexes, so that the shag vertex strands follow exactly the model hairs. This gives maximum control over the hair. For the smaller emitters, there are four model hair splines (one per vertex).

Screencap 3 (http://www.rainbowstudios.com/people/boydl/shag_setup_3.gif) is a capture of just the splines used in the final image render.

Note that the arrangement is one clump per emitter, with clumping also being used in the shag controls in the environment layout.

I do like Boris a great deal too. His poses seem a bit forced, though I understand he draws a lot from the world of bodybuilding where that is concerned. The great thing about those poses on the other hand is they tend to feture high tension elements, and that's exciting for figure artists. You can tell he loves the human figure a great deal.

One thing I appreciate about Royo is that he can be rather loose. Some of his best stuff are his quick watercolor sketches. Bisley would be another illustrator who is rather loose. Perhaps the master of painterly illustration in the sci-fi-fantasy realm is Frazetta.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

friedmike
06-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Good job with the soft texturing and lighting. That's 3d hair? Looks amazing.

BoydLake
01-02-2004, 12:29 AM
Here's an update. I extended the composition and changed a few other minor details. thanks for the feedback everyone! :thumbsup:

http://www.boydlake.com/resonance/images/the_drakus_stone_small_2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.