PDA

View Full Version : Environment Renders

JA-forreal
06-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Here is a link to some texture and lighting setups that I have come up with for my Blender made "side" project. These rendered 3d elements show the knid of detail and lighting that I'm aiming for for my project. Check it out here-

http://www.solarflarestudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100

Here's my work in progress cgtalk link for this project-

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66828

harkyman
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Nice glass material.

JA-forreal
06-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks, at one time when I started using Blender I had reasoned that I would avoid using Env mapping altogether. But after I got the hang of it I started adding Env mapping to more renders.

I learned alot from studying your renders harkyman. I feel the Blender love now man. Hehe. I remember that reading blengine's
Chrome envmapping tutor on the old Blender website set me off right on certain issues too. I have been putting alot of details into the project. Now that I have reduced my render times with Blender I think that I will be able to finish this project on time. I want to add some Yafray renders to the scene as the project will always be needing constant updates of 3d rendered scenes. I just haven't completely figured out many of the Yafray features enough to use it as much and as usefully as Blender. Raytracing is not that fast so for the most part I've had to opt that out for now.

Seeing the success that other Blender users are having with their projects keeps me going. Have you been keeping up with the Landis Airman project? He's been adding Yafray to his bag of Blender tricks and he's really getting the hang of it quickly. I have been thinking that we Blender users need a new offical gallery to showoff the status of current Blender artists 3d design work.

Got to start up the render machine again.

harkyman
06-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the nice words.

I'm with you that Blender->Exporter->Raytracer-with-separate-material-setup is just too rough of a cycle for any reasonably fast production. You CAN get nice results from the Blender renderer. Now if we can just get some of the cool things in place that they're talking about over at .org like deep shadow maps!

I haven't look at Landis' stuff in almost two months. I'll have to take another look. And I also agree that we need a master gallery. I've been waiting for the one that's always been promised with the CMS at Elysiun, but it just hasn't happened, and I wonder if it ever will (I've written php/odbc web-based apps for my company, and it's not that hard.)

Oh well. Later!

BgDM
06-03-2003, 08:36 PM
Very nice glass! Probably the best I have seen yet in Blender. Good job!

I also agree about the external rendering deal. As long as you can get the lighgts set up correctly on Blender, there is no need for raytracing at all. I have used it, sure, but just for the heck of it. It is way too slow and cumbersome for me anyway. I am very used to using Blender and can work fast with it. I may not grasp everything about it, but I can do what I need to.

A gallery eh? That would be nice. Not that any of my stuff will make it. :p

BgDM

JA-forreal
06-03-2003, 10:53 PM
I am very used to using Blender and can work fast with it. I may not grasp everything about it, but I can do what I need to.

Same here. Blender is really deep. And when you consider the power of python scripting, the power of Blender is almost limitless.

I think that there are alot of Blender users who try to push Blender to it's limits. But I think that Blender users are a bit more quiet about their personal projects that most 3d designers. Because we don't have to prove that the price that we paid our 3d app was worth our efforts. We just have fun being 3d artist ourselves, discussing and building up Blender with our fellow Blender users and showing off our great 3d project works to clients. Hehe.

Thanks all for your support!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.