PDA

View Full Version : Layer style texture scaling problem

Speaky
06-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Hello all,

I need some advice, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm working on a logo for a client, and have used a texture as a layer style, which they really like. This works fine at 72 dpi, but I also want to be able to use it at a 600 dpi print resolution. When I create a larger logo the texture I want to use tiles really small, and if I increase the texture scale so it resembles the lower res one, it pixellates badly. Is there any way around this, or is this approach a dead end?

See attached file of an example of this....

Thanks

theGuest
06-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Just gonna name a few options...

When you go to change the DPI... untick the "Resample Image" option. See if that works.

If that's not to your liking, because of the resulting print size, then take note of, or work out the % of scale your document is being changed by. Then take that % and apply it to your Layer Style.

Start out working in your 600dpi doc first. It's better to scale down than up when using raster based images.

Create a hi-res version of the texture you're using. Again... it'll look just fine when you scale it down for the Web versions.

:bounce:

Speaky
06-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Thanks for replying, theGuest. I think the only option is to create a higher res texture really because resampling compromises the end result. I don't normally use a texture - I stick to vector artwork and pantone spot colours, and I had just assumed that any built in photoshop texture would be procedurally generated to whatever resolution I was working in. And what an assumption that turned out to be.

Cheers, :thumbsup:

theGuest
06-03-2003, 11:09 PM
hehe yup, not a good assumption really huh? :rolleyes:

The Raster image format is a very limiting one. Too bad. But at least you have a vector app as well. That's good news. :thumbsup:

:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.