PDA

View Full Version : Can you do this?

Jozvex
06-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi, I was looking at this tutorial on Highend:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/emitgeometry.3d

But I can't get the effect to work. I understand what's supposed to be happening, but I just can't get it working. There was a similar tutorial to this on another site and I couldn't get that one working either!

Can you guys do it?

:shrug:

alexx
06-03-2003, 11:47 AM
funny.. i thought that was just click and go..

but it really seems that the soft body particles are a bit picky :)

maybe later when i have more time.

cheers

alexx

sunit
06-03-2003, 07:17 PM
try turning off "enforce count from history" on your particle object. this should work....

-sunit

viseff
06-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Hey Jozvex,

I get lost at step 7? I don't see this 'Lifespan Attribute' under 'Add Dynamic Attributes'? Have you figured out this tutorial yet? Give me a shout, cheers:beer:

Jozvex
06-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Nope!

I still haven't figured out how to get it working either!

mark_wilkins
06-05-2003, 12:39 AM
I got it to work with Maya 4.5, and it's kind of cool.

I had to do two things differently. First, in the attributes for the particle shape object for the soft body, turn off "enforce count from history" under soft body attributes.

Second, you don't have to make a per-object lifespan attribute. (maybe you did in an earlier Maya version?)

All you do is go to the Lifespan Attributes tab on the soft body particle object, set Lifespan Mode to "Constant" and manipulate the lifespan for the object with the Lifespan attribute.

-- Mark

alexx
06-05-2003, 09:03 AM
yes.

got it to run in 5.0 as well..
i think the most important part about all that setup, is to set the lifespan of the particle object.
only like that it is possible to have the emitter emit the softbody object itself..

cheers

alexx

Jozvex
06-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys!

It turns out that after having set the Lifespan value to 1 in order to kill the particles and set the Inital State, that Lifespan wasn't long enough for the softbody to start reforming!

So setting it back to Live Forever fixed it. It is a pretty neat effect, it could be useful for something like squirting icing onto a cake etc

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.