PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Dynamics

crocostimpy
08-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I created an explosion effect using particle dynamics in Maya 2008. I instanced "rocks" in place of the particles and randomized it using an expression. Now, I have been killing my computer trying to render out my 300 frame marvel and sometimes I get an error message pop up to send to Autodesk but if I close it I can just go back to batch rendering. However, now my whole computer is starting to reboot sometimes. This is a problem because say I get 90 frames before my computer reboots and if I start to batch render again starting at frame 91, since the explosion is random, it just comes out different.

Ok, so is there any way to freeze everything dynamics once is decide to so that it will be uniform until I decide to unfreeze it, or thaw I guess. Since I am dealing with smoke and particle tubulance and random rotation on particles, I hoping there's some sort of "Master Control" to keep everything from changing.

Thanks, Eric

Aikiman
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
You can use seed(id) in your creation expression if you want Maya to use the same rand number every time you rewind the timeline. the help docs say "The seed function affects rand, sphrand and gauss."

You should also cache your particles instead of making Maya calculate dynamics and render that way you "freeze" the dynamics, check to see if you like it and then batch render. You should always cache your particles or any dynaimcs before render time, thats just the way you do it.

crocostimpy
08-27-2008, 01:55 AM
You should also cache your particles instead of making Maya calculate dynamics and render that way you "freeze" the dynamics, check to see if you like it and then batch render. You should always cache your particles or any dynaimcs before render time, thats just the way you do it.

I've never cached the particles before so I did some research but I can't really find much on it. Here's a quit tut I pulled up, does this pretty much sum it up well?
Or is it missing anything crucial?
http://www.respower.com/page_tutorial_maya_particle_caching

Am I supposed to PlayBack in order for Maya to actually cache the particles or does it calculate all that as soon as Batch Render is selected?

Thanks.
Eric

Aikiman
08-27-2008, 02:19 AM
Yep that page pretty much says it all, you want to create a particle disc cache though not edit it obviously, make sure you read the info in the window and Maya will do the rest saving the disc cache file on your system.

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2008, 02:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.