PDA

View Full Version : Challenge issues resolved here

lildragon
06-03-2003, 06:40 AM
go for it

sketchyjay
06-03-2003, 07:16 AM
I think I missed it but Did you post results for the whoops competition?

This challenge requires completely new characters, but do I need to have an original set? Or am I trying to make everything original?

Thanks,
Jay

lildragon
06-03-2003, 07:19 AM
did you look at www.cgtalk.com www.cgchallenge.com or www.3dfestival.com ? ;) Impossible to miss the winners announcement heh

salud

sketchyjay
06-03-2003, 07:38 AM
yeah I'm blind. saw the new challenge and missed the announcement next to it.

Jason

astrofish
06-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Can you clarify please - is it only the animation that has to be completely new, or do the models have to be as well?

I.e., since this isn't a modelling challenge, could I re-use existing character models?

Cheers - Steve

lildragon
06-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by astrofish

I.e., since this isn't a modelling challenge, could I re-use existing character models?

yes

iC4
06-03-2003, 12:36 PM
wasn't divx for mac released some weeks ago? so why not using divx for the final too?

DarkSkills
06-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Is the use of poser models allowed in the animation challenge? Not default out of the box models with no tweaks of course, but ones with custom morphs and textures?

blakboks
06-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Ok, pre-built models are ok...are pre-built rigs ok too? (i.e. character studio?)

Thanks,
Chris

adldesigner
06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
I would like to know if the animation has to be entirely computer generated?
Can traditional hand-drawn animation be used for this Challenge?
Thanks,

lildragon
06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by adldesigner

Can traditional hand-drawn animation be used for this Challenge?
Thanks,

yes!

salud

westmeadow
06-03-2003, 07:53 PM
ok, i can now post! strange! cheers lil dragon. If i decide to participate, this will be my first challenge, so i have some questions! :D

1. can this challenge be cartoony, ie funny and a bit slapstick?? i have looked at everybody elses so far, and they seem very dramatic!

2. is the 15-20 second time limit very strict?? howz about if i am 2 seconds over? :p

3. can i start this challenge if i am pretty sure i wont finish it to it's full petential by the deadline?? I am a newb, so i have no existing models or anything (unless i can fill 20 seconds with fighting spheres?!?!?!)

Thanks for the help,

Assie :bounce:

p@g0
06-04-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Assie
ok, i can now post! strange! cheers lil dragon. If i decide to participate, this will be my first challenge, so i have some questions! :D

1. can this challenge be cartoony, ie funny and a bit slapstick?? i have looked at everybody elses so far, and they seem very dramatic!

2. is the 15-20 second time limit very strict?? howz about if i am 2 seconds over? :p

3. can i start this challenge if i am pretty sure i wont finish it to it's full petential by the deadline?? I am a newb, so i have no existing models or anything (unless i can fill 20 seconds with fighting spheres?!?!?!)

Thanks for the help,

It is an Animation my friend... if you had look at the guidelines you'll see all the details... :)

do it the way you want Sci-fi, cartoony, drama...
15-20 seconds Means 15-20 seconds... not 22 seconds
and its an Animation contest.. not a modelling contest.. so i you think you may not have the time to model your caracters.. use sphere like you told...

A good animator is able to give expression, body language and everything wich is involve to anything.. going from sphere to complicated models :)

regards

westmeadow
06-04-2003, 09:54 AM
thanks for answering all of my questions in the meanest possible way!!! any MODS got anything to add to that??

Assie :annoyed:

grury
06-04-2003, 10:27 AM
[B]thanks for answering all of my questions in the meanest possible way!!!

Meanest possible way??? Thats strong dude, I think p@g0 was pretty straight forward...

stay cool:)

bentllama
06-04-2003, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the help,

1.] yes.

2.] 15-20 sec. firm! it aint fair to everyone else if we allow one person to go over is it? keep within the confines for your submission, then add more for personal folio use later.

3.] stickmen are fine. it is the motion that is the heart of this challenge. the storytelling within the fight scene.

westmeadow
06-04-2003, 10:48 AM
1. YAY

2. Good idea!

3. k, think simple for now!

Thanks Bentllama

Yeh Gru, i was only playing!!
Sorry p@go for any confusion there!]

Assie :shrug:

MVP
06-04-2003, 04:24 PM
I have a friend who put in 'I.P.Freely' on his 'spot holding' thread instead of his name. He has tried to Edit this but it will not go...what does he do? His name is ....um.......MVP. But its not me......honest.:rolleyes:

bentllama
06-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by MVP
I have a friend who put in 'I.P.Freely' on his 'spot holding' thread instead of his name. He has tried to Edit this but it will not go...what does he do? His name is ....um.......MVP. But its not me......honest.:rolleyes:

it should always be your name...it is right there in the contest rules about how to name your thread

grury
06-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Hey Bentllama, I'm planing to team up with a mate for this months challenge, so just to make sure before I start the thread that there are no issues with that.

Cheers

bentllama
06-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Gru
Hey Bentllama, I'm planing to team up with a mate for this months challenge, so just to make sure before I start the thread that there are no issues with that.

Cheers

their are issues with that. how is you teaming up fair to everyone else that does the job solo around here?

true, that you could just team up and get help from another person without divulging that info in your thread, but you would be cheating yourself...

I would recommend not teaming up. for final judging, if there are team entries, they will be ignored. we got to keep it fair.

your single enty was strong enough last time, so I hope to see you involved in the challenge again.

:beer:

MVP
06-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Thankyou Bentllama for replying but that doesn't really answer my problem.
At first I thought the name thing was supposed to be the name of your come-back character from the animation but now that I obviously realise I should have put MVP I am asking how I can get this changed without restarting a whole new thread??:shrug:

Help!

Aken009
06-05-2003, 10:40 AM
hey Bentllama I was wondering if you could check out my post and lemme know if I am on the right track...or if I'm kinda steering a little too far from the main theme..."showdown"

thanks

oops...here's my link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=632448#post632448) to the thread

Kui
06-05-2003, 11:12 AM
hi,

2 little questions:

An action packed confrontation between two characters. One character is losing but makes a spectacular comeback just when you thought all hope was lost.

- is it a MUST that one wins? I would love to do a short where both lose in the end...

- is it nescessary to start ones own thread in the beginning or can I even join later, when I know for sure that I can finish my contribution (due to regular production in my job)?

thank you!
kui

grury
06-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Thats fair enough Bentllama, I understand your views and the unfairness towards the rest of the people. I assumed that it was ok, as in last visual fx challange there was people that worked in teams. But nevermind we'll race only for the fun of it.

Cheers

grury
06-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Sorry forgot to mention that my team mate contribution would be modelling and texturing, I would still be doing all the animation....

rsalonen
06-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey mods, just wondering, are we allowed to use any kind of particles / dynamics etc? Like sparks coming from 2 swords hitting eachother etc?
Might be a stupid question, just want to make sure it's okay even it wasn't stated in the rules for the challenge.

Thanks!

sketchyjay
06-05-2003, 05:16 PM
that might be a fun challange for the future. Get into teams and do some longer animations. 2-3 people could turn out a 30 second animation I'm sure.

I'm sure team skills are just as important to learn in animation.

Jay

bentllama
06-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Gru
Sorry forgot to mention that my team mate contribution would be modelling and texturing, I would still be doing all the animation....

under those circumstances it is OK...since the focus of the challenge is animation.

bentllama
06-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Veqtue
Hey mods, just wondering, are we allowed to use any kind of particles / dynamics etc? Like sparks coming from 2 swords hitting eachother etc?
Might be a stupid question, just want to make sure it's okay even it wasn't stated in the rules for the challenge.

Thanks!

yes. the rules did not say you couldn't use particles...

but again, the FOCUS of the challenge is all about great animation

bentllama
06-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by MVP
Thankyou Bentllama for replying but that doesn't really answer my problem.
At first I thought the name thing was supposed to be the name of your come-back character from the animation but now that I obviously realise I should have put MVP I am asking how I can get this changed without restarting a whole new thread??:shrug:

Help!

i will change this for you.

bentllama
06-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Aken009
hey Bentllama I was wondering if you could check out my post and lemme know if I am on the right track...or if I'm kinda steering a little too far from the main theme..."showdown"

thanks

oops...here's my link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=632448#post632448) to the thread

looks fine to me. just do not bite off more than you can chew...often the simplest ideas are the easiest ones to refine and make shine...

sketchyjay
06-05-2003, 09:38 PM
I know no dialogue is allowed, but what about grunts, screams and those kinds of noises.

In the last post in my thread i outlined the scene and the heroine has to throw off the badguy. It would work better if she could scream or vocalize her effort with a grunt or something.

If not can I use a dramatic beat at the same point.

Jay

MVP
06-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Cheers Bentllama, much appreciated.

ROPA
06-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Hawe questions about technical stuff :

Is there any polygon count limit ?
Can I use depth of field ?
Can I use motion blur ?
Can it be no textures but GI like light ?
Can I help with rotoscoping (if not haw U find out)
Can I use dynamic ?
What about enviroment in this case ?

I'm asking this because level of games is very high and do the quality of picture will involve the final voting .?

thx

VHashishV
06-06-2003, 07:55 PM
I read the rules, and do have a question.

1) Concept has to be entirely original. Absolutely NO "expansions" or "sequels" to existing "showdowns", and NO "showdowns" based on films/existing games/existing television programs

I asume comic characters are also out?
BUT, useing the character and its history to make my own new "showdown?"

I am useing the character "Death's Head II" as the main character, but makeing up my own fight, character being fought, stage, but kinda following what the character might have done if they made a prequill if that makes sense?

short summary of the character, if ya dont know, the character "death's head" was designed to assimilate people, creatures, in order to stop a "future threat." Something goes wrong and he becomes the old deaths head and goes off on whatever adventures through the series.

I am not going to use any of the"assimilations" from the series, but make up one with my own bad guy and envoirnment. Is that ok?

Aken009
06-08-2003, 12:23 AM
looks fine to me. just do not bite off more than you can chew...often the simplest ideas are the easiest ones to refine and make shine...

Hey Bentllama thanks for the reply...and yes...I tend to lean on the side of overeating...so I'm trying to keep my eye on this one...

~peace~

VHashishV
06-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Cool. Yeah i totaly see me going overboard on this. But nothing is worth doing unless your under extreme preasure. Not saying this is but well. If i am not pulling my hair out, then it does not feel like i am doing anything.

bentllama
06-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by sketchyjay
I know no dialogue is allowed, but what about grunts, screams and those kinds of noises.

In the last post in my thread i outlined the scene and the heroine has to throw off the badguy. It would work better if she could scream or vocalize her effort with a grunt or something.

If not can I use a dramatic beat at the same point.

Jay

use the beat. no dialogue , means no dialogue.

in the future, there will be challenges that may be completely open ended, and everything will be allowed. if you notice, each challenge has been testing out different sets of rules. so the next challenge may be completely different. ;)

bentllama
06-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Argail
Hawe questions about technical stuff :

Is there any polygon count limit ?
Can I use depth of field ?
Can I use motion blur ?
Can it be no textures but GI like light ?
Can I help with rotoscoping (if not haw U find out)
Can I use dynamic ?
What about enviroment in this case ?

I'm asking this because level of games is very high and do the quality of picture will involve the final voting .?

thx

all are acceptable. remeber, this challenge is all about the animation itself. all the little extras and such will just take away from your time in refining the motion to perfection.

bentllama
06-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by VHashishV
I read the rules, and do have a question.

1) Concept has to be entirely original. Absolutely NO "expansions" or "sequels" to existing "showdowns", and NO "showdowns" based on films/existing games/existing television programs

I asume comic characters are also out?
BUT, useing the character and its history to make my own new "showdown?"

I am useing the character "Death's Head II" as the main character, but makeing up my own fight, character being fought, stage, but kinda following what the character might have done if they made a prequill if that makes sense?

short summary of the character, if ya dont know, the character "death's head" was designed to assimilate people, creatures, in order to stop a "future threat." Something goes wrong and he becomes the old deaths head and goes off on whatever adventures through the series.

I am not going to use any of the"assimilations" from the series, but make up one with my own bad guy and envoirnment. Is that ok?

if it is an original twist, go for it.

ps: deaths head II rocks.

VHashishV
06-09-2003, 01:45 AM
YESS he is. HOpe i can do a good enough job of bringing him to the 3d world. :)

MVP
06-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Hello, my unfortunate request is that you tell me how I can unsubscribe myself from the CGChallenge site SHOWDOWN contest as I will not be able to finish my anim in time.:cry: :cry:

MVP
07-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Hello?? Hello?? :shrug:

Could you resolve my challenge issue please?!!

bentllama
07-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MVP
Hello, my unfortunate request is that you tell me how I can unsubscribe myself from the CGChallenge site SHOWDOWN contest as I will not be able to finish my anim in time.:cry: :cry:

I will try to make lildragon aware of this and he can resolve the problem from there...

...it would not hurt for you to PM him as well...

take care, and hope to see you next challenge.

:beer:

Kricket
07-10-2003, 11:34 PM
So that Im positive about it.. the deadline is?

12:00 am July 12 GMT
7:00 pm July 11 EST
4:00 pm July 11 PST

Is this right? Thanks.

T4D
07-10-2003, 11:57 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=705390#post705390

competed my final animation
haven't any more time to spend on it got afew other thing to do

But wanted to check that Div-x is OK for finally submission ?

Div-x is 4 megs good looks
Qtime is 6 megs good looking

i have a umlimited 5 meg web space which the Div-x works for
but my larger webspace will blow out if 120 ppl download a 6 meg file:eek:

please asker before deadline:love:

inspleak
07-11-2003, 05:11 AM
Hey guys... I'm a little slow... can't help it...
But do we need to submit our final animtions in a particular place? or just in our own threads?

thanks!

-Jake

T4D
07-11-2003, 05:38 AM
i think it should be in the thread

but i also started a " all done and complete entries here " thread

just to make it alittle easier to fine all the people who did finish the job and didn't drop out.

T4D
07-13-2003, 03:03 AM
ok afew question now it's all over .. I think

only afew finished before the deadline,
and afew others finished after ,
what's with the deadline is it a around about thing ??
next time can i do the final render that night and enter it in the morning ??

when is the juding done and do the unfinished ones count ??

personal i think Argail looks the best
rmatlchans is truely great too so it's between them i guess

and Fasty unfinished Dragon v knight ,kicks ass !
also the breakdance one is just the coolest but where'e the showdown ?

any posts on what, how and when the judging is done

I really have discounted mine due to the bad rigging i done
and i spend more time in post (DFX+) then in LW animating =)
but really interested for next time =)

inspleak
07-13-2003, 03:07 AM
First off... Midnight saturday is a different global time around the world... could be different by 24hours...
the Countdown timer uses the local computers clock to figure out time remaing....

lildragon
07-13-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by inspleak
or just in our own threads?

thanks!

-Jake

For now yes and please post a link either in the entry page or the first post in your threads for ease of use.

-lild

lildragon
07-13-2003, 03:13 AM
The countdown is there to eliminate timezone issues we've been having, everyone goes by that clock and ignore your current timezones.

-lild

onurbasaldi
07-19-2003, 05:18 AM
when is the next challenge??:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Keyframe3D
07-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Hi.

Are there prizes for these challenges? If so, can someone direct me to the link, please?

Thanks.

grury
07-24-2003, 11:26 AM
The winners havent been decided yet...

Keyframe3D
07-24-2003, 05:54 PM
No kidding.

What would the winner get?

What was the prize last challenge?

grury
07-24-2003, 07:24 PM
You can find all the last challenges winners , prizes and so on...
http://www.cgchallenge.com/article.php?article_id=19

Keyframe3D
07-25-2003, 05:04 PM
I see. So, the winner gets a book. Okay, thanks.

ROPA
07-26-2003, 12:32 PM
WHat is happening now ? Why there is no information about this challenges ?
There are prizes ? wow...
I didn't know ...:buttrock:

Stephen Vyas
08-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Will the next challenge be held in September?

bentllama
08-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Stephen Vyas
Will the next challenge be held in September?

No.

The next challenge should be announced soon...along with the winners of the previous challenge.

Hold tight folks, as most mods had Siggraph happenings to deal with...we thanks you for your patience.

We are on track to delivering another great challenge topic...

Soon! :beer: