PDA

View Full Version : Non-Stretching Spring Constraints

Scorpio82
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm setting up a cable in Maya right now and attaching it a character who's using it to secure himself to a railing. I need the cable to realistically follow his motions, but the spring constraints that the tutorials (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/dynamics_fx/How-to-make-a-realistic-cable-262.html) suggest I use for the cable's rigid objects are always springing around and stretching, no matter what values I use. Even at a rest length of zero, they continue to stretch on for infinity and it always seems like they're underwater the way they move, no matter how high I crank the mass or gravity.

I tried using Nail Constraints, which has much better results (since the constraints don't stretch,) but they only go one way (ideal for a swinging rope perhaps) and I can't use them to constrain the other end of the cable to the railing.

Does anyone know how to create a working cable suspended between two points, or at least stop the constraints from stretching so much and follow gravity better?

KidderD
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Assuming, you don't have nCloth.

Have you looked into using the lock curve length, in (edit curves, modify - stolen from the hair menu), and then creating a soft body from the curve with a goal.

moomoor82
08-26-2008, 02:47 PM
have you tried Maya Hair?

Scorpio82
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Sorry - should've specified that our company only runs on Complete, so hair and cloth are not options.

I'll do some more tests with soft bodies and goals after, but my deadline is coming up, so I'll just have to animate the joints for now.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.