PDA

View Full Version : procedural workshop query

LucentDreams
04-25-2002, 11:51 PM
As I said I am willing to try doing a workshop or two for procedural texturing, however the biggest challeng on this is what the current procedural packges for each ap are capable of. To make this a bit eeasier I was hoping that some of you could try to send ma a copy of the documentation specifically for the procedural textures in your app. I know many that work the same way are called different things, like a fresnel shader may be called edge, angle falloff etc etc. I will focus on how these can be used to create some great effects and such, I will warn though that I am using an extremely cpable and pwerful procedural package that I don't think is comparable as an idividual package for any other app, but I have been using xsi and know that it is capable of some of these things for sure and there are probably other. This will not be on programming or scripting your own procedurals either, (I don't know anything about coding other than some basic CA scripts) LEt me know what you think of the idea and vote yay or nay to the workshops on procedural texturing.

merlin9876
04-26-2002, 12:59 AM
Hoping it'll work! I'm anxiously waiting to learn...

JuRrAsStOiL
04-26-2002, 03:58 AM
This is a rethorical question, right?!

Can't wait to learn :buttrock:

Joel Hooks
04-26-2002, 04:05 AM
I am using an extremely cpable and pwerful procedural package that I don't think is comparable as an idividual package for any other app

What are you using?

Hopefully it's Darktree. mmmm Darktree.

LucentDreams
04-26-2002, 11:06 AM
UUUUhhm no, my Procedural software is Mainly Smells like almonds 2.5.x For cinema 4D.. This is far more cpable then just Darktree. You see Deark tree only does certain kinds of procedural texturing, there are things it isn't capable of doing like proximal, fresnel, fusion, and such. That is partly why I need to know what some other packages are capable of to see just what I can teach. I can sit here and show you all how to create Cel shaded effects of all sorts using only procedural shaders, but some may not be capable of all the same features making it a waste of my time. I plan on looking at things like making clouds, rust, wood, water, skin, xray, microscopic, and celshading of various styles(my personal strength.) If all else fails I will show you the settings I use and explain how they work so maybe others can figure it out from my notes and explain it to other users of those apps. I am one who personally thinks darktree being a seperate app is a pointless and less effective procedural program.

Joel Hooks
04-26-2002, 11:54 AM
I like the nodes, and it has more options than Max's stock ones. I don't mind multiple windows either. Anyhow, I don't want to debate the advantages of a piece of software at all. I'd be excited to see your workshop no matter what specific application you use.

LucentDreams
04-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Oh its far better than maxes but still its just more difficult than it has to be. As was stated in leigh's workshop they are tools for amateur and intermediate mainly cause once they actually get good at texturing the leave these tools behind instead of looking at whate procedurals can really offer. They aren't better or worse they have their time and place, Personally I prefer painting most the time but Procedurals are quicker, and often make it a lot easeir to cover a similar effect over an entire model rather than painting each individual section. Sometimes I paint rusty metal sometimes I make it with SLA. Now I will pint out that SLA is more than just procedural shaders.

ONE NOTE THOUGH: I may not be able to do these pending my time available away from my final film project in school which wis getting rolling now. That could put me to a really limited schedule or even no time for 3D at all while in production (five months of no 3D!!!:suprised: )

Joel Hooks
04-26-2002, 12:10 PM
I've always painted my textures. That's why I am very interested in procedural type mapping. I want to work on my nature type environments, and I see some wonderful landscape mapping done proceduraly.

I went and looked at SLA. Nice! You are right, DT does make it too difficult. :)

Gilgamesh
04-26-2002, 01:37 PM
hey kaiskai, this sounds like a great idea if you have the time. I'm still just a beginner, but I love procedurals, and I'd be willing to help you out with the MAX documentation if you want.

lucascerro
04-27-2002, 10:28 PM
Me too. just a beginner and I use MAX 4.2. I'm downloading Dark Tree (dial-up connection), but it seems that I won't be able to get much out of it for now. So I'd prefer if these tuts were focused on a Max level.

Thanx
Lucas

LucentDreams
04-27-2002, 10:39 PM
yeah I think these tuts would be best if focuse on max and lightwave mainly. Unfortunately I haven't used LW since 5 and I don't know anything about max's procedurals.

Hey gilgames if you could get me just the pages on the different procedural textures and what they do. as well as there is a fusions texture or something as wel this would be handy in writing some tuts for them two as I always fuse or layer procedurals.

hartcons
04-28-2002, 10:25 AM
I think the IFW2 shaders for Lightwave are interesting:
IFW2 Shaders (http://www.shaders.org/ifw2_textures/)

Personally I switched recently from Lightwave to Cinema4D and am starting to work with the SLA shaders.

With both IFW2 and SLA there are so many knobs to twiddle that it seems like it must take quite a while to get to the point where you can recreate specific looks using them (vs. just playing a la Kai's Power Tools until something grabs you!) For me, though, knob twiddling is still easier than hand painting ...

LucentDreams
04-28-2002, 01:01 PM
http://forum.bhodinut.com/viewtopic.php?t=331

I just released these last nigh for SLA. Thought that since about four hundred people DL'd them in the first day they must be quite popular and useful so you'd probably like them, if anything they are handy for NPR and they do help to show just how you can mix SLA to get so many things other than wood. on the site there are a few other presets as well.

Ironically your mention of Kai's powertools makes me point out that my name is Kai and these aare the powertools for SLA right now. enjoy:beer:

Wiro
04-29-2002, 05:56 PM
I think it's a good idea with a procedural workshop. It doesn't really matter if it's software specific because people will still be able to see what's possible and then adapt that to their own software of choice. Or even switch to whatever you are using. And if you start it I bet many others will show what they are capable of in their material environment.

Wiro

LucentDreams
04-29-2002, 06:02 PM
thats a good point wiro, and I must say I wouldlike to see someone like balistic do a workshop oon procedurals too. As it is it wil have to wait a while from me as I am starting final film today (still finishing storyboard but the process starts today) and I have just begun beta testing the newest version of our procedural package smells like almonds

l_farley13_l
05-01-2002, 06:38 AM
I'd love to help out (and maybe learn a bit :)) In addition to exploring how to mix and match the various elements, I'd love to share ways of placing procedurals very specifically :p I'll proabably have to wait a bout a week :D eh?
In the meantime I do have a psuedo tutorial online about some of the specifics of SLA etc. I'm sure there are ways to apply them elsewhere:

Dirty Nuts (http://home.attbi.com/~farley4/Farley_web_site/Rust_Tut/rust_tut_page.htm)

It shows some interesting uses of "Dirty Nuts" . . . .
look back up here :)

Really just the 3rd page that deals with it, I'm a bit more for bitmaps in this instance, just for speed, but this is what I mean by placing.

Well Kai, the More the Merrier !

- Farley13

LucentDreams
05-01-2002, 09:51 AM
yeah I have looked at that great tutorial a few times now. thanx Adam. Rigth now I am evaluating how much time I will have, and its not looking good, but I will always be around to answer specific questions. Having now had a decent (and really cool) look at IFW2 I think I should be able to help with anything on their software as well (except maybe the hypervoxel ones but they are so cool.)

LucentDreams
05-07-2002, 04:13 AM
for anyone still wondering what will happen, unfortunately I am far too busy right now. My apologies to everyone but school comes first. Still feel free to ask anything in thentexturing forum and I'll try to help out as best as poissible.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.