PDA

View Full Version : Aug / Sept & Oct / Nov cartoon rigging challenge_RavenEye

RavenEye
08-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Hello everybody,

This my W.I.P. entry for this project.

In this example, I have the base skeleton setup. I also have a working leg setup.

Leg Setup
ik/fk legs with a blend switch
stretchy ik/fk legs
wiggle ik/fk legs
advance foot controls
indi hip
proxy geometry for the legs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzE8U5muhc

While testing out the leg rig. I notice some issues that needs to be address. I'll address them sometime this week. My goal for the next update is to have the spine and neck functioning. Any feedback and critques are welcome.

P.S. I don't use camtasia very often. This being the second time I used it. So, I'm sorry for that green bar showing up on the screen.

RavenEye
08-31-2008, 03:12 PM

In this example, I have the spine and neck setup. I also made some adjustments on the legs.

Spine/Neck Setup
ik/fk spine/neck with a blend switch
stretchy ik/fk spine/neck
head follow attribute
advance twisting controls
proxy geometry for the spine, neck, and head

Leg Setup
jiggle controls bigger and easier to grab
legs stretch while moving the hip and COG controls
fk legs ankles able to stretch

oh yeah, I no longer have that green zooming thing like the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKTGiD8itg

My next update will be with the arms. The arms will have have a similiar setup as the legs to get the jiggliness in them. My goal is to have it updated on tuesday, since I don't have to work until wednesday. Yeppie!!! For four day weekends.

I'll be adding that head going into the the shell after the arms. The plan is to have some secondary action on the entrance of the shell, as well with some some squash on the head.

rikkiknight
08-31-2008, 07:48 PM
wow very nice work!
Im currently reading up to see if I can join in as well.... havnt got anything presentable to post yet...
Got alot of stuff to learn! Just hope I have time for this one...
I do like your crazy legs setup :)

RavenEye
09-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks Rikki.

You should enter the challenge. The more the better. We all can learn from each other. I hardly have time to work on my project. I work long hours and it is very hard to jump into Maya after work. I work in Maya all day long, so jumping on it at home is difficult to do. All I want to do is veg out and drool on my tablet while streaming a tv show. What package do you use?

rikkiknight
09-01-2008, 06:43 PM
:) I know the feeling

Im a maya/xsi user I guess.
But for this Ill be using maya. Havn't rigged anything properly since uni, which was about a year ago.

Im working on the top half at the moment, Ive managed to get some auto clav stuff working. Although its got a few bugs I wanna work out. And then I have the joy of redoing it on the right hand side...
Working into the arms as well as I go. Kinda going for the modular approach, one bit at a time. Hopefully it will work out ok

TimForbes
09-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Great work RavenEye. That rig is super impressive.
I've got a rig for Kito together in Maya aswell to post soon so I'd be keen to get some feedback from you. I'm pretty new to maya so I'm always looking for people with more expereince to critique my work.
Great stuff again, and I cant wait to see the finished rig.
Cheers,
Tim

RavenEye
09-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Thanks Tim,

I'll try to post my arm updates in the morning. Slightly too tired to do anything in maya at the moment. Very long day at work. Anywho, ciya

:argh: :beer: :drool:

RavenEye
09-04-2008, 01:14 PM

In this example, I have the arm setup.

Spine/Neck Setup
ik/fk arms with a blend switch
stretchy ik/fk arms
noodle arms
advance hand controls
finger controls
fk/auto Clavicle controls
proxy geometry for the arms, fingers, and hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gGZ5mIkwXg

I'm going to be removing the fk\auto clav controls and just stick with fk. I'm having cycle check issues whenever I switch to the autoClav. This has been giving me a headache lately. If anyone knows of a good way to have an auto clav and then blend between the fk clav then I'm all ears. I took some of the same principles with the hand controls that I did with the foot controls. Giving the ik hands different pivots to rotate from.

My next update will be the automation/blend with the Shell. I haven't put too much thought on how I am going to tackle it but I'll figure something out. After the shell, I'll work on getting the head inside the shell.

At this point my basic control rig is finished. I'm going to have some of my animator friends test Kito out and give me a report on it. Is that legal in the competition to have friends, who animate, test the rig and give feedback on corrections and things they would like to have?

Anywho, see ya on the flip side.

rikkiknight
09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
:) nice one dude!
Like the noodle in the arms, very nice

I've been having similar probs with my autoclav as well, going to put it to one side for now. If I find anything out Ill let you know, but for now I want to get most of it built

Good job so far tho! Looking forward to the next update!

TimForbes
09-07-2008, 01:32 AM
That rig is looking awesome. There is so much control on the limbs. Good stuff.

joshpurple
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
That rig is looking awesome. There is so much control on the limbs. Good stuff.

I agree :beer: ! Excellent work RavenEye, and I'm glad to see it!

RavenEye
09-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'll be adding a WIP after I get off of work today. The WIP is going to focus on the shell of the model. I treated the shell as a seperate character. Anywho, see you on the flip side.

RavenEye
09-16-2008, 03:04 AM

In this example, I have the shell setup.

Shell Setup
interactive controls on the shell
stretchy spine (not an ik spine)
deforming shell
follow character spine and deformations
collar controls (Stretchy)
lower shell controls (Stretchy)
proxy geometry for the shell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67_gHnEOyP0

I gave this shell a treatment that I would give a character. The shell can squash and stretch, spin, and be a character on its own. Giving the animator a chance to give it some personality. I've also rigged to act like a shirt. Kito is nekkid underneith his shell of a shirt. So, Kito has to be able to put it on and off.

My next goal is to add the secondary movements to shell and to get that fat head into a shell. While playing with the shell, I did notice somethings I have to fix up. That will be added too. I'll be handing out my rig to four animator friends of mine and have them put it through the ringer, I hope that is ok with you Todd. I'll also dust off my animation skills and do some testing of my own.

Any and all feedback are welcome.

joshpurple
09-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Good idea on letting your animator friends work with it. Nice approach on the shell too.

The squash and stretch looks great. No doubt, the head is a challenge getting it into the shell :) .

RavenEye
09-22-2008, 02:14 AM

In this example, I have the secondary shell setup and head into shell.

Secondary Shell/Head Setup
auto shell up w/ blend
auto shell extra twist w/ blend
auto breathing w/ blend
squash/stretch head
volumn control head
minor cheek controls (Note: This is not part of the facial setup)
squeeze head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMIYzuXborI

In my video, you are going to notice the shell get all kind of major funky. That major funkiness is me adjusting the channel controls. These controls are for the auto secondary movements. Giving the animator more control over the automated movements. I did limit these control quite a bit. It does get a tad bit ugly if you dial the numbers high. These secondary controls are done with blendshapes with expressions tide into them. If I had more time, I would have figured out a way not to use expresssions. I would have used utility nodes.

Unlike some of the submissions that I have seen. I tried to avoid in doing that voodoo head shrinking bit. Granted my head can do that voodoo trick. Kito has such a huge melon on his/her shoulders. I thought lets try to make that big ole head fight its way into the shell. So, I sought to give the animator that kind of control. Giving the head squash and stretch controls. The cheek controls that I mention above is for giving some extra deformation and control. By all means it is not meant for facial animation. Some controls that I didn't demonstrate are the collar controls for the shell. I mention last post that I treated the shell as character/shirt. The controls around the collar are for the head going in and out of the shell.

That is all I have to say about this post. My next post, I'll bind the geometry to the rig and hopefully have some animation test.

Any and all feedback are welcome.

rikkiknight
09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Nice dude!
I've never used blendshapes before to add dynamic secondary motion like that
Also liking your low poly version of him, very clean and clear with good colour indication of center,left and right

RavenEye
09-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks Rikki,

The blendshapes are expression driven so the animator needs at least a 5 frame pre-roll to get it going without popping. I choose blendshapes because I can assign it various controled movements and blendshapes can over lap each other. If I wanted to, I could add over a hundred different blendshapes for different types of motion. Since the blendshapes are curves it won't take up that much memory.

Personally, I like to animate with the proxy model. Do personal playblast using the lo res geometry. I tend to use the fully skinned model if I'm showing it the animation to someone or to check for weighting issues.

RavenEye
12-01-2008, 12:12 AM

In this example, I have the shell setup.

Facial Setup
Joint base facial setup
wire deforming eye balls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGKdHH--17s

Well, here is my facial setup for kito. Kinda last minute but I have been really busy. This facial setup is all done with joints. Letting the animator have free will on what shapes to create. Sincie I was busy this was a quick setup. Probably would have made 60 odd blendshapes if I went that direction. Anywho, see ya'll on the flip side.

RavenEye
12-01-2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.nwinfrey.com/kito.zip

Here is my Maya .ma file.

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2008, 02:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.