PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Seeking Dynamic Rope Rig

xxthundrcatxx
08-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Here's the short of it. I am neither a rigger nor am I dynamics savvy. I'm actually quite the opposite. Yet somehow I got it into my head for the last week that I could put together a rope rig for an animation that I'm doing using techniques that are way out of my realm of comprehension. It seems that the many have covetted this incredible piece of riggery, but an actual rig seems to be ever elusive. I am doing an animation involving a man trudging up a steep snowy hill while pulling a child seated in an inner tube. The rope would be taught while he tugs, interspersed with moments of slack when he is anticipating the next tug. If anyone has made or has access to a rig that might possibly be effective for this type of animation, I would totally credit you and/or rig's owner and you would have the privilege of knowing that you'd saved someone from a world of anguish. You'd also legitimately earn partial rights to another person's soul - and that would look amazing on your resume!

Best,
Sasha

wigal
08-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi!

I don't think you gonna be lucky finding a rope rig. Rope usually has a very specific task in every scenario, so it demands a special rig. In your case I would just use a hair curve. Parent the original curve to the climber and constraint the end of the dynamic curve to the object/child being pulled. You have to set the point lock on the follicle to either base or tip depending of the direction it has been drawn to give you manul access to the oposing end.

then you can animate both the climber and the child and the curve will dynamically animate depending on the tension.

now you could simply extrude the curve to get a rope like shape or use it as a wire deformer for a real rope object.

good luck!

Wick3dParticle
08-28-2008, 04:39 AM
I would definitely consider using Ncloth. Using a hair folicle is a solution, but in my opinion it has far less control. It is a fairly easy setup in Ncloth. Here is an example of a jumprope animation I worked on a short while ago. If you go to the videos section on this link: http://pbskids.org/sid/ and watch the title song...you should see it there.

Best of luck,

~Ilan

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2008, 04:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.