PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel VFS

BRB
06-03-2003, 02:37 AM
Hi all,

I finished my modeling demo reel at VFS about a month ago, and got around to making my webiste. It's done in Softimage XSI Have a look, your comments are welcome.

http://www.vfs.com/~ranvirb/webpics/GiveFlowersComp.jpg

http://www.vfs.com/~ranvirb/demo.avi

thanx,
BRB

dongle
06-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Nicely put together. I love your lighting and camera sense, it is very cinematic. Keep up the good work, don't stop! :beer:

ed209
06-03-2003, 04:23 AM
I would think about getting rid of the copied pictures from Princess Monenoke on your reel. It looks bad passing off plagiarized work as your own to future employers.

BRB
06-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Thanks dongle for your comments, i really worked hard putting together dramatic shots with slow "arc" camera moves.

ed209, i think you've got the wrong idea about the monoke paintings, i would come to think that most people in the "art biz" are well aware that the paintings are from miyazaki's film, i painted them because it's one of my favorite movies... i've already posted that painting before.

manutara
06-03-2003, 06:11 AM
Nice first shots you put together. Nice camaras and lighting.:thumbsup:

See you at the Grad!!!:beer:

ed209
06-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by BRB
Thanks dongle for your comments, i really worked hard putting together dramatic shots with slow "arc" camera moves.

ed209, i think you've got the wrong idea about the monoke paintings, i would come to think that most people in the "art biz" are well aware that the paintings are from miyazaki's film, i painted them because it's one of my favorite movies... i've already posted that painting before.

A demo reel is a representation of YOUR work, not the works of other artists. I was just trying to give you a bit of a warning that including that type of material on your reel may in fact hurt your chances at getting a job. Do whatever you wan't though, I was just trying to help you out.

BRB
06-03-2003, 09:26 AM
thanx felipe for your comments, keep workin hard man!

:beer:

davids
06-03-2003, 01:26 PM
ed209: I totally agree... if you are gonna put drawing on your demo reel they should be your original designs not copyied artwork. Copying artwork is great for learning but not showcasing your skill.

RedSilas
06-03-2003, 04:34 PM
The modeling was pretty good.
Here are some crits...
As far as the animation is concerned... it was pretty weak. There were too many freeze instances in the motion and the motion needed more follow through. Also, I agree with _ed209_ but I would extend it to pretty much all your concept work. It doesn't match the quality of your modeling skills. The figure drawing was not bad but I would re-think your concept stuff. One piece of advice "Employers judge you by your weakest piece... not your strongest."

I hope this was some what helpful. Just remember that we all are working on improving ourselves and don't take it personally.

:hmm:

BRB
06-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Umm, thanx for all your comments. seems i'm getting more comments on my drawings during the credits, rather than the 3d stuff.... oh well :eek:

RedSilas: thanx for your comments man, i made this reel as a modeling reel, the animation in the reel is very short and very subtle, i didnt want no exaggerated movements in it. as for the conecept art, i really got good feedback on the concepts from others so that's why they are in, i guess it's a matter of taste.

i'd appreciate more comments, cheers

3d42dustin
06-19-2003, 01:29 PM
everybody knows who princess mononoke is...

and since art of her WAS in the credits... i think its fine,
should maybe have a small title, saying its your rendering of your/ FAN ART. then you'd pass for the copyRights :)

just say FAN ART... everybody will understand...
after all you were just distplaying your 2d skills... Not character design :)

btw i was at ur graduation screening, on june... congrats!:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.