PDA

View Full Version : Greenbriar Plug-in?

m0ng00se
08-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Has anybody had any success with the Greenbriar CR2 Loader plug-in with version 9.0 of Lightwave??

It just hangs my system when I try to use it and Lightwave never returns from the twilight zone. Even if I try to use it on an old low geometry base figure Vicky1, with no morphs, clothes... it still just hangs.

I know the tool hasn't been updated for a few years but I wanted to see what Poser rigging and weight-maps look like in Lightwave.

m0ng00se

Megalodon
08-24-2008, 05:26 PM
According to the developer Dave Matthews, the latest version (which I received in Jan. '08) works with 9.3.1 without issue. I haven't "played" with it recently, but it has worked in 9.x. .I would suggest at least upgrading to 9.3.1 and trying it again.

m0ng00se
08-25-2008, 02:18 AM
I have tested the GreenBriar Plug-in CR2 Loader vers 1.7 for Lightwave with Lightwave versions 9.0 and 9.3 and 9.5.

On three different machines the plug-in had a failure rate of 100%. It failed to import even low-res toon CR2 characters with no bones, textures or morphs. The plug-in would read the CR2 file then ask for the location of the Geometry file. It would ask for a *.obz file instead of an *.obj file but would accept *.obj when pointed at the correct object.

It then hangs Lightwave with a "Not Responding" message and the Resource Manager shows Modeller using 97% CPU but normal RAM. There is no disk activity yet CPU rate sits at 97% and never returns... ever.

So far... as well as Greenbriar... I have tested Okino Polytrans obj wavefront importers/exporters, Collada importers/exporters, FBX importers/exporters... all advertise that they can get rigs and morphs out of poser with the mesh. So far nothing has ever succeeeded even slightly and in fact only Okino has done a clean mesh conversion. Everything else either crashed Lightwave or deformed the mesh.

m0ng00se

Megalodon
08-25-2008, 06:15 AM
I just fired up the one machine we have it on and tried the plugins in 9.2 and 9.3 - both worked flawlessly. This is on 32bit Windows & 32bit LW - it doesn't yet work on 64bit LW.

If you would like, please list (in detail) your procedure - hopefully it's something simple like you're skipping a step.

I actually bought PoserPro with the thought that it would make things easier. Apparently not since it does not load bones into LW. Looks like these Greenbriar plugins are it - fortunately they work well for us. Hopefully we can get yours to work as well.

m0ng00se
08-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Firstly I must apologise for thinking there was a fault with what is probably an excellent product. Especially when it seems to be my own fault.

David Mathews (the owner of GreenBriar) was quick to e-mail me and try to assist me. I do not have Poser, only Daz Studio and I assumed that the plug-in worked with either product. After all the internal directory structure is identical and most Poser products work equally as well from an identical Runtime directory.

Apparently I need Poser because the plug-in looks for the Poser directory specifically. At least that is what I understand from David Mathews e-mail. I also considered purchasing Poser Pro just to export Poser riggings into Lightwave but it costs $765 NZ for a product that I only need to do file conversions. I no longer use Daz Studio either and now spend all my effort on learning Lightwave.

Lightwave is great and it does everything I have always dreamed of doing in terms of animation plus it is teaching me modelling skills. I just wish I could move my DAZ characters over without losing all the rigging and weight maps. I spend all my time re-rigging and trying to create weight maps. The weight maps are especially difficult because the Poser mesh is so dense.

Thankyou for your advice Megalodon. I guess I need to work out if it's worth purchasing Poser just to get the Greenbriar plug-in to work. Once I get my main characters into Lightwave I'll no longer have any use for DAZ or Poser.

m0ng00se

Megalodon
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
That's a bummer.

I would suggest getting a second-hand copy of Poser to use the Greenbriar plugins. At this time, I wouldn't recommend Poser Pro since I don't think (and I may be wrong) that it does not bring over the bones and weightmaps - just the animation. Someone over at the Newtek forums mentioned this but I haven't had time to check it out.

I really like the Greebriar plugins - I just wish they would work with 64bit LW! :)

Good Luck!

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.