PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex walk cycle critique

Hostutler
08-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Here is my T-Rex, and the first model of my own that I used a bi-ped bone setup in. It has a few different morph targets for blinking and tongue movements.
I am really having a struggle with setting up good lighting. I probably missed that day in class, oops. So if anyone can offer me some lighting links or tips to improve this, please do. Any criticism on the animation will also be greatly appreciated. Hopefully sometime tomorrow I will be posting renders of the model in the 3d stills WIP for a closer look at him.

JasonH

Here is the YouTube link for the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNENxjaWcw

XII
08-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Looks nice, but to me it looks a little stiff. IMO the moves should be more fluent

lewistaylor
08-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey Jason,

Not too shabby :)
Couple of things. I would reduce the amount of tailswing by about 1/2,
and also the tail seems to move too linear. When the tail has swung around
to it's peak on one side, it needs to lose momentum and start swinging back.

The footsteps seem too quick. Remember this guy is huge, and you want the
audience to believe it. Right now he's looking not much taller than a human.
Slow the footsteps up timing wise, and you need to look at his planting and
rising of the foot to convey that sense of how heavy he is.

Good work so far.

Lewis

Hostutler
08-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks Lewis. I greatly appreciate your critique and will work on what you have suggested. Thanks again.

JasonH

LEGC
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
A couple of things.

First you have to shift the weight in every step. The speed of the step are a little too fast, if you add more overlaping in head and the neck and lean foward the charcter you can use that speed as the dinosaur running. The dinosaur don't need to have the mouth open all the time. A book that can help you is "The Animator's Survival Kit" all the examples are in 2D but the principles are universal for any medium.

Nice work!

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.