PDA

View Full Version : Chalkboard animation

igamble
08-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Hi!

So I graduated from school thinking I was hot stuff. Then at siggraph I got my ass handed to me by reps from Disney and Nick, so now I'm trying to get my act together.

Here is an exercise that is focused on overlap and timing, just splined keys and breakdowns at the moment. The ending is a little off, and he doesn't pick up the chalk yet.

http://www.vimeo.com/1584279

Comments and critique are super appreciated, every little bit helps!

Thanks in advance guys!

doffer
08-23-2008, 01:49 PM
The hip needs to move a lot more smoothly than it does atm.
And then take a look at his balance. It seems a bit like he's leaning to much back.

But a fine start though

igamble
08-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Awesome, thanks!

ErikSvensson
08-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree with doffer, the hips feels a bit odd right now. You should try to turn on arcs in the viewport for the hip and see how it moves + the spacing, it could use some work, and if the hip is wrong, nothing will every be right til you fix it. I like the idea you got, will you make him type/or draw too? :)

Erik

igamble
08-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the crits!

I for some reason completely forgot about the motion trail feature, it helps a lot.

I smoothed out the hips, and added some more weight. I think it's getting better, the ending leaves something to be desired for (yes I am planning some chalk writing).

So my question is, how can this be plussed?

http://vimeo.com/1590550

ErikSvensson
08-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Much better! One thing that might help is that his head see the chalk earlier, because right now he "knows" its there, so he basically bends and look down at the same time. At the same time, he doesn't seem to have the dedication to either pick up a chalk or move to the board (i think its due to where his eyes are at, maybe you could have him look at the chalk before picking it up, then focus on the table when he's getting closer to it.)

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2008, 09:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.