PDA

View Full Version : Ashton Gage walk cycle Critique

Hostutler
08-23-2008, 12:16 AM
This is the second Character model I have completed in college, complete 30 sec. walk cycle with morph targets for facial animation while he is walking. I posted a thread on the model itself under the name Ashton Gage in the 3D stills WIP a week or so ago and haven't recieved any feedback. After looking at the cruddy quality of the you tube video you might want to check it out for a better look at the model. If anyone can help me out with being able to post a better quality version of the walk cycle please let me know and I will re-do it. I have a really cool T-Rex I have completed with a 30 second looping walk cycle that I think is pretty cool and will be posting soon if anyone wants to see it give me hell about it. Feedback will be greatly appreciated.
JasonH

Here is the YouTube link for the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkO5k6DtTKs

ErikSvensson
08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
First off all, i would remove that music, it doesn't fit at all, its rather disturbing actually.

Regarding the cycle, well its a bit stiff, and the staging is kind of boring from that angle (front view for 30 seconds) so i would probably do some kind of camera changing, either movement and/or a new position. You also lack of up and downs in the hip, you need more movement in it, the arms move a bit linear, you need to losen him up more in all the limbs, offsetting pieces, use weight more over all. Sorry if it sounds a bit harsch, but i think it needs more work to it.

The head movements are one of the better part of him, pretty good actually. Work from the hips and out is my advice, make him less weightless + remove the music, and it will be a lot better. :)

Cheers!

Erik

Hostutler
08-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey thanks man. The music is a bit too much and will definitley go soon especially before I put it on my portfolio website. I was just having fun figuring out how to add music to a video clip, showed it to a teacher at my college and watched his eyes practically cross as his face turned sour from the music. At that moment I realized it was too much. As for the coments maybe being a little harsh, don't even worry about it because it is exactly what I need and I will definitley work on the camera pan and weight of the walk more before I call it complete, Thanks a lot man, really.

JasonH

ErikSvensson
08-23-2008, 02:14 PM
You're welcome! Whenever you have an update, please post it here too. :)

Erik

Hostutler
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I will definitley post it back here but it might be a few weeks because as of right now my plate is pretty full with 4 different classes of school work and four more character models on top of the four I just completed due in the next week or two. Then hopefully, I will have a day or two to do more work on Ashton.

JasonH

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2008, 02:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.