PDA

View Full Version : Particle Kill

andymation
08-22-2008, 08:24 PM
So, I'm trying to simulate a sink with running water for a scene in maya. I have the water running, and the particles are colliding with the sink geometry. I have a sink collision that is, for the most part, working. Some of the particles collide and follow the sink and flow down the drain like their supposed to. But the rest just fall through the sink keep on falling. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about killing those particles to keep this from happening, or if there were any other ways to fix this.
I posted on Simply Maya, and somebody returned with the fact I need to adjust the attenuation, but I don't have an attenuation attribute anywhere.
Anybody know anything about fixing this issue, please do assist!

Aikiman
08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
A couple of things you can try, increase tessellations to numbers like 1000-2000 and/or increase Over Samples under Solvers > edit Oversampling. There is also Trace Depth under the particle attributes in collisions tab. Higher values give more accurate results, you may want to check docs to get more info.

If you need to kill your particles then you can create a conditional statement checking particles position in y and killing it that way or create a volume field where you want your particles to die and if input force ==1 then kill particle.

MikeRhone
08-22-2008, 10:39 PM
inputForce would be the way I would do it. Very handy little trick.

andymation
08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
thanks guys!
that was really helpful!
probably shouldn't have picked one of my last classes to learn particles for though huh.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.