PDA

View Full Version : Texture/Render Question: Surface Shader

acc9340
08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
k. Quick Question (I hope). I need to use a surface shader for a thing I am doing. It needs to have color and transparency. When I plug the image used for alpha into the Out Transparency, it gets nice and transparent in all the right places. When I next apply some color (either with color chooser or from a file) in out color the areas that should be transparent start to become opaque again. Is there any way I can defeat this, keep my opaque areas opaque and colored, and keep the transparent areas invisible?

Thanks as always

Gravedigger
08-22-2008, 08:37 PM
hmm strange one. why don't you just use a lambert or whatever to do the same thing?

grs Gravedigger

acc9340
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Can't use Lambert, need it to not be affected by the lights in the scene.

Gravedigger
08-22-2008, 10:29 PM
sorry i don't want to go on your nerves with the lambert shader buuuuut...

you could take a lambert and plug your color texture into the incadescance channel while setting all the others to black but pluggin the alpha map to the transperancy.

like this your shader is not affected by the lights

jeremybirn
08-23-2008, 02:39 AM
What Gravedigger just wrote is right.

Another solution would be to fix the connections to your Surface Shader in Hypershade: Take the output of the transparency texture, pipe it through a reverse node, and connect that to the colorGain of the color texture. That way any place the transparency is white (transparent) the color will be blacked out, and you will get the results you originally wanted. (You may need to connect the red to x, green to y, etc. for the connections through the reverse node if you have a color image coming out of the tranparency texture.)

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2008, 02:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.