PDA

View Full Version : Holomatix Rendition

taylorius
08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi,

Holomatix Rendition is a realtime raytracing renderer, that is compatible with mental ray. It works with existing mental ray shaders, and is very affordable.

In addition, Maya users can benefit from realtime scene update tracking. Using our Maya plugin, Rendition will update it's raytraced view of the scene as you adjust scene parameters.

Go to www.holomatix.com (http://www.holomatix.com/) to see example videos, documentation, and to download a trial version.

The latest version has some exciting new features:

Improved final gathering - our new FG system is much faster and smoother than ever before.

Automatic render channels - Rendition can automatically produce specular and diffuse channels for any Maya scene, as well as shader ID passes.

Inbuilt HDRI positioning - In the latest release, you can spin HDRI images within the package, and see updates in realtime, to get the pefect orientation for the lighting effect you want.

Improved NURBS performance - Rendition now handles NURBS objects in parallel and much, much more quickly - so large CAD files may now be rendered with ease.

For 3dsMax and XSI users out there, we've heard the clamouring for plugins for your packages - I'm pleased to announce that they're now in development.

As always, we're really interested in any feedback, so don't be shy! (as if) :-)

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

DDS
08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
wow that's really cool! I'm more in tho the character dev. and I would love to see some examples from that side too. With realtime displacement :D

ienrdna
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
How does it handles things that requires precomputation, sss and displacement?

AikoWorld
08-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Hello there.

Couple questions.

When ordering now, will there be a free upgrade for maya 2009?

R10k
08-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I'll be looking into this when the plugin is ready for XSI. I like.

slebed
08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm still clamouring for a plugin for 3dsmax! Looking forward to its release.

Best,
Stephen

Venkman
08-22-2008, 04:52 PM
It says it supports fluids and Maya oceans, but I couldn't find any example screens or movies showing that. Any chance of seeing images that show fluid support?

Bullit
08-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the update.

I'll be looking into this when the plugin is ready for XSI. I like.

You can use it already. You just have to export the .mi file. Note that it is picky about XSI subdivison surfaces. I had several troubles specially with numpad ones.

taylorius
08-22-2008, 07:33 PM
How does it handles things that requires precomputation, sss and displacement?

Hi,

Good question - Rendition does support SSS and displacement in "realtime", any precalculations required are done as and when they're necessary, so they might slow the frame rate down a little, but in our experience performance is pretty good!

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

taylorius
08-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Hello there.

Couple questions.

When ordering now, will there be a free upgrade for maya 2009?

Hi AikoWorld,

Yes, we release frequent updates to Rendition, and licensed users are entitled to take advantage of these for a whole year. The maya 2009 plugin will be released shortly, so that will be fine.

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

taylorius
08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm still clamouring for a plugin for 3dsmax! Looking forward to its release.

Best,
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Good to hear from you! As I mentioned, the 3dsMax plugin is (at last) under development as we speak! It will probably take a bit of time - the mi file format's quite tricky, but it's on the way!

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

KidderD
08-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Taylorious,

A video of rendition displacement would be very appreciated.

taylorius
08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
It says it supports fluids and Maya oceans, but I couldn't find any example screens or movies showing that. Any chance of seeing images that show fluid support?

Hi Venkman,

Yes we certainly support fluids and oceans. I am in the process of getting some new (better) demos prepared, and I'll make sure we include examples of these.

Best Regards

Matt

taylorius
08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
wow that's really cool! I'm more in tho the character dev. and I would love to see some examples from that side too. With realtime displacement :D

Hi DDS,

Yes, displacement should be pretty much realtime. As I mentioned in another reply, I'm going to get some new, improved demos on our site, and I'll definitely get a character based demo up there.

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

taylorius
08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Taylorious,

A video of rendition displacement would be very appreciated.

Hi KidderD

Ok, it shall be done! Lots of new videos in fact.

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

Venkman
08-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Sounds great. Your product is super kick ass.

Als
08-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Last week the plugin didn't work with maya "switch". I've asked for this, and now it does.
The support and feedback for all sugestions I gave was instant.

Good work, and amazing plugin!

Als

AikoWorld
08-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Hi again, thanks for your earlier reply.

I downloaded the trail version and it works great.
Thou it seems it dosent support particle clouds, am i correct or am i having a little bug issue?

// Hardware particles not supported, default to Cloud S/W //
// Error: mental: Unknown exception thrown

cresshead
08-23-2008, 02:53 PM
excelent news!
looking forward to the plugin development for the 3dsmax version so i can drop lightwave's fprime and move over to 3dsmax for fast lighting setups with mental ray.

taylorius
08-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi again, thanks for your earlier reply.

I downloaded the trail version and it works great.
Thou it seems it dosent support particle clouds, am i correct or am i having a little bug issue?

// Hardware particles not supported, default to Cloud S/W //
// Error: mental: Unknown exception thrown

Hi AikoWorld,

Rendition does support particles, however particles in Maya can be rendered in two ways, hardware and software. Only certain particle styles may be raytraced - so I *THINK* that if you try your scene in mental ray, the you won't see anything either. However, if that's not the case then you've found a bug - let me know.

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

taylorius
08-23-2008, 04:25 PM
excelent news!
looking forward to the plugin development for the 3dsmax version so i can drop lightwave's fprime and move over to 3dsmax for fast lighting setups with mental ray.

Hi Cresshead,

That's good to hear - I'll keep everyone posted as to progress. Nice to speak to you again, by the way!

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

pablumpicasso
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi,

Holomatix Rendition is a realtime raytracing renderer, that is compatible with mental ray. It works with existing mental ray shaders, and is very affordable.

In addition, Maya users can benefit from realtime scene update tracking. Using our Maya plugin, Rendition will update it's raytraced view of the scene as you adjust scene parameters.

Go to www.holomatix.com (http://www.holomatix.com/) to see example videos, documentation, and to download a trial version.

The latest version has some exciting new features:

Improved final gathering - our new FG system is much faster and smoother than ever before.

Automatic render channels - Rendition can automatically produce specular and diffuse channels for any Maya scene, as well as shader ID passes.

Inbuilt HDRI positioning - In the latest release, you can spin HDRI images within the package, and see updates in realtime, to get the pefect orientation for the lighting effect you want.

Improved NURBS performance - Rendition now handles NURBS objects in parallel and much, much more quickly - so large CAD files may now be rendered with ease.

For 3dsMax and XSI users out there, we've heard the clamouring for plugins for your packages - I'm pleased to announce that they're now in development.

As always, we're really interested in any feedback, so don't be shy! (as if) :-)

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

Hi Matt,

Just wanted to add my support for Rendition. I've had a quick go with it, so I don't know all it does, but so far I used it to tweak a light setup, and it really saved my skin. Keep it up guys!

Phil

P.S You should write, saying more what it does

taylorius
08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Matt,

Just wanted to add my support for Rendition. I've had a quick go with it, so I don't know all it does, but so far I used it to tweak a light setup, and it really saved my skin. Keep it up guys!

Phil

P.S You should write, saying more what it does

Hi Pablum,

Thank for your support, I'm glad Rendition was so useful - we're looking forward to you becoming a full customer! :-)

Rendition does have a lot of features, and we're working on providing more comprehensive documentation for them. One interesting aspect that I haven't mentioned is Rendition's scriptability. The package is highly customisable - and scenes can be constructed and modified programatically - which allows for some for some very exciting possibilities. I'll write in more detail in a seperate post.

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

strangerthings
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi. I have Rendition working in trial on a Mac pro with Vista 64 - and Max 2009 64 and well I have no had much luck with speeds - the same reflections/bounces etc and it's actually coming in for my test render at 9 seconds on max mental ray and 21 on Rendition - is this a core issue? is rendition using all 8 cores?

Any other advice?

Thanks

taylorius
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi. I have Rendition working in trial on a Mac pro with Vista 64 - and Max 2009 64 and well I have no had much luck with speeds - the same reflections/bounces etc and it's actually coming in for my test render at 9 seconds on max mental ray and 21 on Rendition - is this a core issue? is rendition using all 8 cores?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Hi strangerthings,

I'm sorry you've found Rendition disappointing, speed-wise. In general, it is quite a bit faster than mental ray. Would it be possible to send us a debug report from the scene in question. We'll do some tests here, and try to work out what's wrong, and how we can sort it out.

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

strangerthings
08-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi - I'll set up some test and send you the report - Will be at the weekend as I have a job on. I am sure that the results are local as other people seem to have a great experience.

Andy

Als
08-31-2008, 02:07 AM
I hope you can answer few of my questions:

1. Do you need a MR or maya license to run rendition on a machine? or
2. Would it be possible to setup a renderfarm and use rendition as main renderer?
3. How it compares with new maya 2009 ipr?
4. Are you the answer to my prayers? (quick support, listening clients, amazing feedback, fast render, no constant crashing) :blush:

Als

taylorius
09-05-2008, 09:20 AM
I hope you can answer few of my questions:

1. Do you need a MR or maya license to run rendition on a machine? or
2. Would it be possible to setup a renderfarm and use rendition as main renderer?
3. How it compares with new maya 2009 ipr?
4. Are you the answer to my prayers? (quick support, listening clients, amazing feedback, fast render, no constant crashing) :blush:

Als

Hi Als,

We'd love to be the answer to your prayers! :-) Let's see now...

1. No, you don't need a mr / maya license to run Rendition on a machine.
2. Yes, you could set up a renderfarm with Rendition - it can be run from the commandline, so is compatible with Render manager software
3. Maya have certainly improved their IPR a lot in 2009, but ultimately it's still block by block - Rendition's progressive render will give you much faster feedback.
4. Well - I suppsoe that's up to you to judge!

Seriously, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

milohas3Dee
09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi Matt,

first of all, I`ll say that Rendition is one of best plugin for Maya by my opinion. It`s very useful in the production environment. Now with Rendition help Maya user will be almost ready to recreate "vray" look inside Maya`s MR :p. Anyway, during my test i discovered that most of attributes are translated to Rendition but some are not, or they are not working correctly. mia_portal_light, mia_exposure, mia_material etc.. are somehow visible but they are acting somehow weird.

In my scene I have simple ball with mia_material, 3 MR area lights with mia_portal_light light shaders and Final Gathering on. Here is example:

http://www.milnet.co.yu/mas/rendition00.jpg

Rendering time is longer plus it doesn't look the same. When I apply camera lens shader mia_exposure_simple, result is a bit better. I prepared the maya2008 scene if you would like to examine.

Thanx in advance,
Best

taylorius
09-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Matt,

first of all, I`ll say that Rendition is one of best plugin for Maya by my opinion. It`s very useful in the production environment. Now with Rendition help Maya user will be almost ready to recreate "vray" look inside Maya`s MR :p. Anyway, during my test i discovered that most of attributes are translated to Rendition but some are not, or they are not working correctly. mia_portal_light, mia_exposure, mia_material etc.. are somehow visible but they are acting somehow weird.

In my scene I have simple ball with mia_material, 3 MR area lights with mia_portal_light light shaders and Final Gathering on. Here is example:

http://www.milnet.co.yu/mas/rendition00.jpg

Rendering time is longer plus it doesn't look the same. When I apply camera lens shader mia_exposure_simple, result is a bit better. I prepared the maya2008 scene if you would like to examine.

Thanx in advance,
Best

Hi milohas,

Hey! Thanks for letting us know about a problem with those pesky mia_ shaders. They're definitely the trickiest to get working correctly. The problem you have with mia_portal_light is actually just an issue with our maya plugin, and it's been fixed in the next release, which is version 380, and will be up on www.holomatix.com (http://www.holomatix.com/) within a day or two.

I think this will fix your scen, but if you send it to us, we'll make doubly sure it's correct, and do our best to get the speed up as well (I'm guessing it uses final gathering, right?) :-)

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

ravi3d
09-21-2008, 02:22 AM
The occlusion pass that I render in maya 2008 is pure and has less grain. The one I render in rendition appears to be grainy. I have double checked my sampling settings, contrast threshold, occlusion samples ... etc before export as .mi file

also the one in MR took 1min 12 secs while in rendition, it was 2min 54 secs.

the scene is a generic interior with occlusion shader

Is there a way that allows me to initiate batch render using rendition?
Is the render I see in the rendition window final? or is it a preview quality one?

Do I need to create any environment variable if i want to go for command line ? Bcoz, That is the only option for me as we use RUSH render manager If I have to render a sequence.

My problem during command line render:

D:\test\Rendition -input_file_name d:\test\sample_scene.mi -render 1 1

'Rendition' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

:)

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2008, 02:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.