PDA

View Full Version : photosynth is out

yenvalmar
08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
theres been a few threads about this before, apparently you can actually use it now, assuming you have a working windows box.. i'll have to try it on my girlfriend's laptop when she gets home, i'm using a mac..

http://livelabs.com/photosynth/

for those that have no idea what im talking about..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p16frKJLVi0

eightgr
08-21-2008, 09:28 PM
works only on win .... :-(

robozyt
08-21-2008, 10:50 PM
been waiting a long time to try it out...

heavyness
08-21-2008, 10:51 PM
glad we can finally make our own! might try it this weekend. it's a pretty cool app.

also, check out this newer version coming out that they showed at Siggraph 2008...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLLzV5qeKyk&e

JoshBowman
08-22-2008, 12:24 AM
While it's cool that they've released Photosynth to the public, I didn't ever think the original version was that great (it was a good start don't get me wrong). I think once they release the version of Photosynth they showed at this years SIGGRAGH with the rotating around objects and whatnot THEN it'll become something worth using (at the moment the navigation is a bit frustrating).

ysvry
08-22-2008, 12:38 AM
this so cool , that people stuck to theire macs should get a windows computer just to run this.
well done microsoft , now make it compatible with your3d world and make it free like google ;)

to that other fellow , navigation was just easy just click on the foto were u wanna go and zoom in and out, i think even a 3 year old could use it. there must be enough fotos in the synth though otherwise it becomes too jumpy :P

JoshBowman
08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Well that explains it, I'm only 2 1/2 years old, so in another 6 months your saying it shouldn't be a problem?

I think it's more the fact that it snaps to images automatically instead of allowing me to move smoothly around the space.

ysvry
08-22-2008, 01:40 AM
try this one and others with above 100 fotos.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=8a96cac7-cc15-4174-b591-4d61f93808d7

eightgr
08-22-2008, 03:05 PM
this so cool , that people stuck to theire macs should get a windows computer just to run this.

Just have to run Parrallels or boot win on the mac to see it, nothing else... Don't know why it's so cool to get a window computer?

DaveWortley
08-22-2008, 04:24 PM
1000points to the person who writes a hack to download the 3d data as a point cache, will be fantastic to model things, take a load of ref, put it through this, download the point data and you've got perfect blueprints set out instantly for you!

mhampton
08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I was able to view some photosynths last night, but not able to create one (they had locked it out).

I would still ask, why not make a stand alone app of it that people can do offline?

But anyway.. my review of it so far, is that photosynth in it's current state is pretty cool to play around with, but I don't know exactly how this is going to pan out to something that most people will use (beyond just playing with it).

Some people already talked about virtual photosynths of houses for sale. Well.. you've already been able to create virtual tours of houses for a few years now. Ever heard of quicktime VR? I think that is more intuitive, looks better, easier to navigate, etc. Although on Photosynths side, Quicktime VR takes a little more time to set up and create one (and you can't do it for free).. Quicktime VR takes more than just saturating your subject with tons of photos.

But I'm not really crazy about the actual end result of what a "photosynth" is. The actual view and navigation of a "photosynth" just seems a little clunky and almost unfinished. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to make this comparison to Quicktime VR, in that once people have played around with it, it might find a few nitch uses.. but may not become that wide spread, just like quicktime VR... which is REALLY cool.. but for whatever reason you just don't really see it THAT much in use. Although I think google street view is very quicktime VR like.

I can almost see photosynth (with seadragon) being used more in a "2D" fasion. Example.. you have a photo of a car.. no matter how high res that photo is.. you are not going to be able to zoom into the photo to read the imprinted text in the lower corner of the glass of the headlight. However.. if that image of the car was "photosynthed" with 100s of very upclose images of every square inch of the car.. then you can (over the internet) zoom into every minute detail of the car. Replace "car" with any product and I certainly can see how this can be used.

So more importantly Seadragon I think very well WILL change the way people interact with large data sets!!! It worked exactly as demonstrated.. I couldn't BELIEVE how easily you can look at 500 high res images... zoom, pan, scroll! Seadragon is AMAZING!

I wonder though.. instead of looking at 500 "high res" images with seadragon... what if you only have one "SUPER HIGH RES" image, or even several of them. Like.. what if EACH of your images were 1GB? Would we still see the same level of performance? Especially considering that the images would not be .jpegs at that size?

Rob-O
08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
just did this...
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=39e90202-fceb-425f-824e-046b6e33100e

480 12megapixel photos
took 2.5 hrs inc upload

andrewjohn81
08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I would REALLY just like the point cloud data that it creates. The rest of it is just kind of neat to look at. I'd rather use the point cloud data as reference to actually model things. Although, I'm sure it's Way harder to look at if each point isn't colored. Can point clouds contain color info?

Saurus
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I can see them integrating this (along with street view) with their maps. MS birds eye is awesome.

Szos
08-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Sweet... been waiting to mess around with this since I first saw MS's demo.

It would have been MUCH nicer to be able to actually download this tool and then have access to the 3D behind it... but my guess is that will have to wait for someone else other than MS to come up with it.

Still sounds cool... but right now it is more of a novelty than an actual tool.

heavyness
08-23-2008, 07:00 PM
someone at work was passing this around [tons of pics from Penny Arcade Expo '07]...

http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=Darkphibre

some really nice stuff. plus, it shows what else you can do with Photosynth. like being able to virtually go into a store, zoom into and see different views of products.

robozyt
08-25-2008, 09:33 AM
1000points to the person who writes a hack to download the 3d data as a point cache, will be fantastic to model things, take a load of ref, put it through this, download the point data and you've got perfect blueprints set out instantly for you!

me wants fancy point clouds too!

I have been dreaming about that since I first heard of photosynth. that would make life so much easier for me regarding one of my personal projects.

Jaspar
08-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow, I'm distinctly underwhelmed. Maybe if it were tied in with google maps it'd have a bit more point, but it seems a bit gimmicky without doing anything really cool. It also seems rather buggy, and the navigation is a bit random. If they'd used those point clouds to automatically generate proper 3D models, then I'd have been impressed. :shrug:

nemoo
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM

Your wait is over, feel free to give your 1000 points to this guy: http://binarymillenium.blogspot.com/2008/08/exporting-point-clouds-from-photosynth.html

edit: we can actually vote for this feature!
guys, if you want the 'export pointcloud' feature to be implemented go here and vote for this idea/feature request for photosynth:
http://getsatisfaction.com/livelabs/topics/pointcloud_exporter

robozyt
08-29-2008, 08:07 PM
voted! dreaming of a maya exporter... :drool:

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2008, 08:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.