PDA

View Full Version : How to?

mattyt
08-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Is there a way to flip an object in C4D without having to use the mirror tool (as I don't want two versions of the same object in my scene) and if so can someone please tell me how to do this as it is really frustrating me at the mo.

jimzepellin
08-21-2008, 10:48 AM
In the coordinates manager put a minus before the size field of the axis that you want to flip.

example

S.X -100 instead of 100 will mirror across the YZ plane.

automat
08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
In the coordinates manager put a minus before the size field of the axis that you want to flip.

example

S.X -100 instead of 100 will mirror across the YZ plane.

BUT BE CAREFUL

This will flip your Normals! So you need to flip it back in case you are using displacement etc.

Zmurowski
08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
automat - thanks, haven't noticed that. That's useful advice.

mattyt
08-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your response, all of you.

I think I must be missing something out as when i try to put the negative value in to the coordinates box i wont accept it and does nothing!

Do you have any suggestions as to what i may be doing wrong?

rui_mac
08-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Make sure you are in Object mode and not in Model mode.

Rui Batista

Incarnadine
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
One other thing I have found with the "add a -" technique is that if you try to rotate the flipped object it may flip by 180 at the smallest of inputs. I found "group object" and then extract from the group solves this.

Thanks for the pointer about normals, Hadn't seen that but it would explain some things with displacement.

jimzepellin
08-21-2008, 06:35 PM
One other thing I have found with the "add a -" technique is that if you try to rotate the flipped object it may flip by 180 at the smallest of inputs. I found "group object" and then extract from the group solves this.

That may be because you used the coordinates in the attributes manager this turns the axis inside out and you can't get a grip on the rotation bands.

Always use the Coordinates manager to do the minus thing..

spedler
08-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Is there a way to flip an object in C4D without having to use the mirror tool (as I don't want two versions of the same object in my scene) and if so can someone please tell me how to do this as it is really frustrating me at the mo.

I've often wanted to do this easily. Below is a quick-and-dirty script which will flip a polygon object across the Y-axis. It's pretty self-explanatory, copy the text below into the script manager, then just select the object to flip and click 'Execute'. The exception handling is just there to stop COFFEE errors appearing in the console.

//////////////////////// FlipIt-Y /////////////////////
// Flips a polygon (editable) object vertically //
// ONLY works with poly objects - not with primitives, //
// lights, HyperNURBS or anything else! //
// Works with objects inside null objects, but select the object, //
// not the null //
//
// Disable HyperNURBS if the object to be flipped is in one //
// before flipping otherwise nothing may happen //
// Will only flip one object at a time //
// (don't select multiple objects and try to flip them) //
//
// Could easily be modified to flip objects across the X or Z axes //
// Steve Pedler 2008 //

main(doc, op)
{
var vec, obj;
var allPoints, nPoints, nI;

try {
obj = doc->GetActiveObject();
// get an array of its points
allPoints = obj->GetPoints();
// get point count
nPoints = obj->GetPointCount();
// now reverse all points y coords
for (nI = 0; nI < nPoints; nI++) {
vec = obj->GetPoint(nI);
vec.y *= -1;
obj->SetPoint(nI, vec);
}

// get position
vec = obj->GetPosition();
// reverse y coord
vec.y *= -1;
// and set the new position
obj->SetPosition(vec);
}
catch (ExNotAMember) {
// next line for debug purposes only
println("Not a polygon object!");
}
catch (ExBadType) {
// next line for debug purposes only
println("Incompatible values!");
}
}

Incarnadine
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
I'll have to check that out, thanks!

mattyt
08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I would have thought that as the Architect edition was designed specificaly for those of us using cad applications, such a simple action could have been added to the main actions in the tool bar!

Just a thought. and thanks for all the help guys

nycL45
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Samir's "Mess" plug in flips and more. It works with v10 and can be found with a search here: http://www.c4dplugs.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=92c384e60097d3fa42dd04ca4b46a9db.

Leonard

mattyt
08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the plugin as Samir have "closed their doors" due to a hardware crash?

mattyt
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
ignor my last comment, I was able to find a copy else where.
Thanks for that link though, awesome tool!

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.