PDA

View Full Version : "Green monster" little animation

John Keates
08-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I was putting together my modelling reel in XSI (which I am new to) and one of the models grew into an animation.

Here is what I have of the animation so far. All crits welcome, be as harsh as you like.

http://www.johnkeatesart.com/TEMP/GBM2.mov

Clicky Here (http://www.johnkeatesart.com/TEMP/GBM2.mov)

andrewmartin
08-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Haha that is ODD! That's a truly bizarre character you have there; the sort of thing that jumps through the window when you're stoned...

Animation wise I think it's lacking in a few areas; timing, weight and appeal. If you break down what's actually happening (or what NEEDS to happen) and the characters internal dialogue you should be able to act it out and get a better sense of how to make it clear. Paying attention to your arcs is important too.

What kind of planning and reference did you use? What's your method for animating?

Also, what is he/she/IT saying??? All I get is "Here's a stick... back... something something..."

John Keates
08-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Andrew,

The dialoge is supposed to be "here's your stick back, sorry I forgot about it". It needs re-recording, you aren't the only person to comment on the lack of clarity.

I animated it mostly starting with pose-to-pose with hold interpolation. I then went to spline interpolation (probably too early in some cases). I acted out bits here and there. The sniff and the yawn mostly. No video reference.

Which bits stand out as particularly needing attention/re-doing?

andrewmartin
08-20-2008, 11:44 PM
What stands out most to me is his reaction to seeing us (I assume) and the subsequent dash back inside the cave. It should be a lot faster.

He should see us, recognise us, remember he borrowed our stick, then quickly run inside to get it. Each thought should be clear and given only the amount of time needed for such thoughts. 2 seconds tops (half the time you've used), and then a faster run inside (which currently has awkward arm movements).

John Keates
08-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Hi again.

I think you are right about the speed of that part. Funny thing is, it started out much faster and for some reason I started meddling with timing and made it longer. I sorta stopped looking at it properly after then. I am in the process of making it shorter again.

The arms do look awkward in that run. I wanted the effect of him scrabbling against rocks as he ran. There aren't that many frames to play with. I think one problem is the fore-shortening of the movement which makes him look like he is moving slower than he is.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2008, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.