PDA

View Full Version : LowPoly Meshes For Animation Replaced By HighPoly Meshes For Renders

SNARK
08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I am new to Maya Animation (though I have used the polygon tools for modeling for some time). I understand that a LowPolygon model can be rigged and animated and then the LowPolygon model may be replaced with the finished HighPolygon model for renders. How is this accomplished? Might someone point me to some specific tutorials? It would be wonderful if I could rig and animate a LowPoly model while I was still building the High Frequency mesh.

Thanks!

~S.~

isoparmB
08-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Assuming your rig is completed and your low poly is a fair approximation of your final model, you can use referencing in your production pipeline. As long as you don't change the existing names of the objects and attributes in your control rig, you can replace the referenced scene in your animation files.

So while animation is busy out blocking out and animating files using fully rigged lores models, the rigging team has time to skin and fix the weighting on the hires models. These can then be switched out before the animation files hit the lighting department.

Take note though about certain issues in referencing (for example, the need to use namespaces for every referenced file), but once you've settled the issues there are numerous other advantages such as lower file sizes for animation files and the flexibility to propagate global changes on an asset already in animation.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2008, 04:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.