PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 5 - Extended Trailer

SheepFactory
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Watch it here:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/734381/resident-evil-5/videos/RE5_Leipzig_081808HD.html

Game is coming along so nicely!

AJ
08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
It looks fantastic...

I remember watching the pre-rendered FMV's for Code Veronica & thinking 'Graphics will never looks this good in game'....

I'm an idiot.

SheepFactory
08-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Yea games came a long way.

I used to think this was the pinnacle of gfx:

http://ben.bacchus.com.au/vpcblog/images/aloneinthedark4.PNG

:D

DNSK
08-19-2008, 10:12 PM
It looks fantastic...

I remember watching the pre-rendered FMV's for Code Veronica & thinking 'Graphics will never looks this good in game'....

I'm an idiot.

+1 I miss my Sega Dreamcast.

This new RE is looking good, all i need now is something like this! Falcon (http://gear.ign.com/articles/898/898497p1.html)

heavyness
08-19-2008, 10:44 PM
here is a non-IGN, commercial free version of the same trailer...

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38537.html?type=flv

can't wait. loved RE4 and from what they showed at E3, it should be fun to play with a friend!

erilaz
08-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Yea games came a long way.

I used to think this was the pinnacle of gfx:

http://ben.bacchus.com.au/vpcblog/images/aloneinthedark4.PNG

Ah memories... it's hard to believe that game actually instilled terror in me all those years ago. :D

I've never been a fan of the RE series, but that does look extraordinarily good!

ThE_JacO
08-20-2008, 12:33 AM
The first alone in the dark is still THE best horror survival game ever, and it still pisses me off that people think RE invented something when AitD had done everything and better already :)
RE 1, 2, 3, cv, 0 etc I never liked, but RE4 was good enough that I bought a gamecube just for that, and RE5 looks like it might be on par.

BigPixolin
08-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Trailer looks good. Gameplay looks Lame.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36508.html

erilaz
08-20-2008, 01:05 AM
The first alone in the dark is still THE best horror survival game ever, and it still pisses me off that people think RE invented something when AitD had done everything and better already :)

Absolutely. It was not only the best, it was the first. If it wasn't for good old origami-shaped Edward Carnby, we wouldn't have a survival horror genre!

None of this sniping zombies malarky. Gimme a piece of paper to catch a falling key out of a lock any day.

They didn't just do the undead. They did undead pirates! :D

DDS
08-20-2008, 01:15 AM
wow this trailer was mind blowing. Obviously graphics but looks like story is really interesting as well.

Can't wait :scream:

ThE_JacO
08-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Absolutely. It was not only the best, it was the first. If it wasn't for good old origami-shaped Edward Carnby, we wouldn't have a survival horror genre!

None of this sniping zombies malarky. Gimme a piece of paper to catch a falling key out of a lock any day.

They didn't just do the undead. They did undead pirates! :D

Oh man, the ending was soooo good. And to date the only coc game I played that actually felt close to Lovercraft's tales in its atmosphere, how you had to run from things more often than fight them...
Now I feel like starting an aitd appreciation thread :D

RE4 was great though, or at least I think so.
The character for being a "cool kid" remained relatively unobtrusive but still likable enough to care about what was happening. The difficulty level was just perfect, and some of the death scenes had me cringing a little bit, not much, but just enough that you REALLY didn't want to see it happening again if you could avoid it.

The over the shoulder camera 3D also worked so much better than anything that's come before.
Previous RE titles were so frustrating in how you would see something coming at you and then die just because the controls didn't allow to turn fast enough within reaction times; very often you had to die and then re-do things and anticipate some of the spawns to make it through with enough health for some of the ****ing unreasonable parts that came later on. Totally a mood killer.
I think I only finished RE0 (mostly because I was on RE4 withdrawal :p ) of the old school camera/prerendered environment ones.
The storyline was also childishly simple but enjoyable in RE4, without too many twists that felt forced and only one resurrection, which is novel for a Japanese franchise like that. It linked levels nicely and moved the mood so it spaced between different gameplay styles (survival with little ammo to all out like in the chopper sequence).

RE5 looks like it's picking up storyline and gameplay from RE4. If they drop the magic button sequences, or make them more interesting, and don't make the story too convoluted, with likable enough characters and with graphics this good, it might very well turn out spectacularly good.

SheepFactory
08-20-2008, 01:36 AM
RE5 still controls like the character has a umbrella up his butt. He also turns like a boat.

This stuff was acceptable during the gamecube RE4 days but after gears and uncharted I was hoping capcom deliver a better control scheme. Oh well they still got time to fix it. RE4 was kickass up until the castle level so I have high hopes for this one too.

ThE_JacO
08-20-2008, 01:48 AM
I could deal with the slow turns just fine, the 180 combo and turning the other way around before doing one became second nature :p
I don't know if I would want a completely different control system that becomes too different, it might become too much like a shooter then. Loved MGS4 (controls too) but I hope the controls don't go that way for RE.
Just a bit more fluid, more vertical freedom and no stupid aim height resets would do the trick for me.

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2008, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.