PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on a pond

lacluna
08-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Hello everybody. I have done a pond but I cannot assign my own texture to it because it assigns it to the bounding box and not to the pond surface. What I really need to get is some reflectivity!!! I cannot understand how they can make a fluid like water without a reflectivity! please help

Duncan
08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
There is an environment ramp on the pondShape (a fluid node) in the surface tab which simulates a sky environment reflecting. However if you want to raytrace objects reflecting in the pond then you need to convert it to poly. (convert fluids->poly) Poly smooth might also help.

Alternately you could use the ocean and create a wake on the ocean (this creates a fluid node as a displacement texture on the ocean shader). You can make the numFrequencies on the ocean 0 so that you only see the dynamic fluid waves(like the pond), as opposed to the ocean waves. Also to see reflections in the ocean you should make its environment ramp all black and increase the reflectivity to 1.0. A higher refractive index will make it still more reflective.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.