PDA

View Full Version : Caching an ocean

chips__
06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone

I desperately need some help here!
I have a suitcase floating in an ocean, linked to a dynamic locator... i then have to pick up the suitcase with a hook. my problem is, when i animate, and step back and forth between frames, the suitcase will only solve forward. so if i step back ten frames, and one forward, it'll go one forward, from when i started stepping back. so when i play the animation from the top, the timing is really far off!

HELP!!!

Peter

Duncan
06-02-2003, 06:53 PM
The expression based simulation on the locator has a start frame value that you can set. In the attribute editor ook at the extra attributes for the locator node(also check out the notes section on the locatorShape for help). When the time slider is put back to the start frame the expression resets the initial state.

If you wish to scrub the time slider you need to first bake the expression( on the y translate of the locator ). See curves->bake channel on the graph editor.

Duncan

chips__
06-02-2003, 08:16 PM
thanks very much Duncan!

i was caching all the values in an array from the expression and reading them back in. i also tried saving them out to a file, but it was too much trouble making changes... so thankyou very much.

(plus, my MEL isn't that good since i've only been doing it for 3-4 days now ;) ).

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.