PDA

View Full Version : Interior Scene, Luke Werhli (3D)

HamsaPaksham
08-19-2008, 12:30 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/54839/54839_1219512391_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/54839/54839_1219512391_large.jpg)

Title: Interior Scene
Name: Luke Werhli
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop, VRay

This image was created in 3ds Max Vray and Photoshop for professional purposes. So, it's not art.
This is my first attempt in 3ds Max and Vray, I was used to Maya but Vray is more suitable to this kind of work, so I have to learn and relearn everything.
Vray is considered by many simple to setup, I personally think it's a very difficult piece of software and takes time to get used to the terminology and intrincacies of it.

C & C are welcome.

David-J
08-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Good render man. I am learning VRay as well and it seems tricky but knowing Mental Ray you can still translate some principles. A couple of critics about your image would be that everything seems washed out. All the shadows are almost gone. It's hard to read where the light is coming from. The image lacks contrast. And also the wood texture on the upper cabinets in the kitchen the scale is off.

Other than that good work and good luck.

InfernalDarkness
08-19-2008, 06:08 PM
...auto-contrast in Photoshop would finish the job nicely! Perhaps your monitor is very dark...

HamsaPaksham
08-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks guy's.

Yes I'll try that. In fact I followed a Linear Workflow, and I miscalibrated my monitor. And I use a Mac with Windows LCD Led, so it's even more complicated.
I'll have to set it to defaults it was better before.

Thanks guys you are awesome thanks for your patience.

mawki
08-20-2008, 12:58 AM
Hey Luke, great interior - cant wait to live in a nice place like this ;-) many years of CG work away yet tho! What gave you the idea for this? The clouds out the window are a bit weird though, they look like they would if you were looking directly up at the sky instead of out towards the horizon.Keep up the good work!

SandmanNinja
08-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi Luke,

An AO layer would help with the contact shadows.
I think there is a plug-in at scriptspot.com that sets it up for v-ray.

The left-most couch is floating off the ground.

I think the scale is off on the wooden textures, too.

I agree with the sky shot - looks more like the camera was pointed up.
Sky tends to gradiant as it goes from up to down.

Very good stuff, just some minor nits.

HamsaPaksham
08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey Luke, great interior - cant wait to live in a nice place like this ;-) many years of CG work away yet tho! What gave you the idea for this? The clouds out the window are a bit weird though, they look like they would if you were looking directly up at the sky instead of out towards the horizon.Keep up the good work!

Or... You can marry a rich person. Or find a sponsor Hehehehe.
The idea was not mine, the clients asked me and they gave me the blueprints and so I did what I was paid to do. And the great challenge was that the three person responsible for the project were miles apart. One was here in south of Brazil, the other was in the north (Brazil is like an continent) and the other one was in Australia. What a globalized world.

I have one thing to say to you though: Don't wait and don't think, just do it.
We learn a lot doing and there's no such thing as perfection :)

Thanks for your comments. I'll fix this when I have time.

HamsaPaksham
08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Luke,

An AO layer would help with the contact shadows.
I think there is a plug-in at scriptspot.com that sets it up for v-ray.

The left-most couch is floating off the ground.

I think the scale is off on the wooden textures, too.

I agree with the sky shot - looks more like the camera was pointed up.
Sky tends to gradiant as it goes from up to down.

Very good stuff, just some minor nits.

Thank you Joel, Yes this was the first image I created and I didn't use Ambient Occlusion, but I used in another one.
In fact I'll try to do Ambient Occlusion in all of my next images.
I think it really improves the details and brings dimensionality to the rendering.

Thanks man!

HamsaPaksham
08-23-2008, 05:47 PM
I changed the background, reworked the contrast, changed the material of the carpet and applied a noise modifier to it to bring movement, made an occlusion pass, rescaled the wood texture and also applied a new texture with mapped reflection, bump and diffusion to the towel over the tabletop. I also reduced more the noise in Vray, using clr thrshold in DMC image sampler.
I also dimmed the lights from the roof and lamps, to focus more on the sunlight.
On the floor I enhanced the bump and reflection of the material.

I hope you like it.

InfernalDarkness
08-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Looking much better, good work on your fixes!

David-J
08-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Good job on the fixes. Certainly looks much better.

Just one thing and this is just nit picking. The background that you chose doesn't have the same light direction as your interior. The background seems that the light direction is coming from the right and in your interior is coming from the left.

Either way. Really good job.

SandmanNinja
08-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Now THAT is what I'm talking about!!
That's a GREAT scene now!

AO rocks the world... Couch is no longer hovering...
Much, much, much better.

It's hard taking crits sometimes. Glad you did and applied them.

-Joel

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2008, 09:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.