PDA

View Full Version : import alphas

Bommel
08-19-2008, 11:24 AM
how can i import psd's WITH alphas and use the alpha? thx a lot Philipp

daytona
08-23-2008, 11:35 PM
pretty sure you can't. you'll have to save the alpha's out as separate files and then import

Doug816
09-03-2008, 09:06 PM
No, that is wrong. You just load the psd and it should use the alpha with the image. If you just want to use the alpha you can set it to "use alpha only". If you want to use both you can instance the image and set one to use alpha only

Bommel
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
I tried that. I loaded a psd (in my case a haircut with one alpha in Photoshop applied), but modo didnt clip the alpha. In maya i can choose which alpha layer i want to use, can i do that in modo?

kevmo
09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Hello:

It should work automatically. and as doug stated you can switch to ignore - alpha only - use, is on by default.
I tried with more than 1 alpha layer, but it will only see the 1 alpha - if thats what you mean by choosing an alpha - no that doesn't seem possible. you have to decide on one prior.
Are you sure you have an "Alpha Channel" ? not a .psd Layer?
some of the image effect settings other than the default "Diffuse Color" setting may not show a noticeable alpha. I can't see why it isn't working - maybe it's not layered in Modo correctly?
maybe post some screen shots will help?

good luck

daytona
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I figured out why it wasn't working for me ( hence my previous incorrect post! ) and this might be Bommel's problem- Modo doesn't use the alpha if the psd is CMYK. Clips fine in RGB.

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.