PDA

View Full Version : Computer Hanging with a Blue Screen

Pretorian
08-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Probably most of you already had this kind of problem. I already had it time ago but this time is much worse!

Every time I turn the computer on (the first time in the day or the first time after a "long" time) in hangs on and get into a blue screen where it says "it turned the computer off to protect agains a worse situation". If I reset it starts again and get into the same bluw screen. If I turn it off and wait for two minutes and turn it again it most times works and load Wind XP. Questions:

- is this a hardware problem?

- perhaps the system has to many componets (the only diferent things is two HDDs, but should not be strange)

- does Win XP has some broken libraries and/or drivers?

- how can I fix this?

- how can I avoid this situation so it doesn't hapen no more?

- is this too serius?

- if this situations still stands, what can hapen?

Thanks

salmonmoose
08-19-2008, 05:42 AM
The fact that it works again after you leave it off, suggests heat.

Clean you case of dust, or buy a new case with better ventilation.

You can "underclock" your cpu to make sure that's the problem.

Srek
08-19-2008, 05:57 AM
The second most likely cause (at least from my experience) is defective RAM.

jcbray
08-20-2008, 11:14 PM
As it happens from a cold boot, I'd think RAM would be more of an issue - but, as there is a BSOD, it could be something windows related. Look up memtest to test your RAM, googling the error code on the blue screen will help if something else is causing the problem.

Pretorian
08-23-2008, 04:43 PM
I tried googling for an answer but got diferent types of explanations and none exactly like what is happening for me. The situation is very strange. The "turn on" computer process is like this:

1 - turn the computer

2 - select the boot partition (I use multi-boot)

3 - it starts loading and hang wth the blue screen I descrived before

4 - I reset or turn the computer off

5 - start loading again

6 - select the same boot partition

7 - it starts loading and hang again wth the blue screen

8 - reset or turn off again

Only of the third time it loads right. Why I have to load it twice till it get correct?

If I load another boot partition it loads ok for the first time. That's why I think it's a Windows problem. How can I fix it?

Thanks

Katchan
08-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Just a thought, what are your heat sink fans doing?

A soft or hard reset is not guaranteed to reset all hardware components. If one of the fans isnt switching on at poweron on a reset may not trigger it either.

I would take the side of the case off, clean all parts off dust, and rest your bios.

If no fix try swapping RAM

If this doesnt work try reinstalling windows

Bios update

If this doesnt fix then you may have a dicky mobo

Pretorian
08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Thank you all!

I think the problem is solved. I tried running XP SP3 instalation again and seems it fixed the problem. It was already installed and I don't know why it didn't recognize that it was already there (perhaps a file or library was damaged). Anyway, I don't get the blue screen!

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.