PDA

View Full Version : Vendor selling red camcorders?

dmeyer
08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
For anyone that was at the expo, who was the vendor selling the tiny red 1080p camcorders for $299? I forgot to pick up some literature and a friend of mine wants to purchase a few.

chrusion
08-21-2008, 03:12 AM
For anyone that was at the expo, who was the vendor selling the tiny red 1080p camcorders for $299? I forgot to pick up some literature and a friend of mine wants to purchase a few.
That would be Red... http://www.red.com . I am 99.99% sure those cams are made by Aiptek. http://www.aiptek.com The one thing I DO NOT LIKE about them is that they use ELECTRONIC SHUTTER controlled exposure rather than APERTURE contolled. That is, the more light available, the faster the "shutter" speed, aka, the cmos sensor is sampled at faster and faster line rates. This translates into a high degree of TEMPORAL artifacting. That is, fast moving/rotating objects in BRIGHT daylight, say like an airplane's propeller, appear as multiple horizontal stripes instead of a single blurred blade, or if shooting out of a moving vehicle, vertical lines are sheered/tilted diagonally upwards of 15 - 20 degrees. For me, I want to see a single BLURRED propeller blade rather than 8 - 10 horizontally "frozen" blades and blurred telephone poles and buildings rather than diagonally scewed. Oh well, nature of the beast, they say.

Compression on the earlier, 720p-only units was too high, showing up as blocky, banded gradients (sky) and smearing/blurring of distant, fine details. High detailed objects in motion, like wheat blowing in a field, was highly artifacted, as well.

However, the units on display at Siggy seemed to be less heavily compressed.

Titus
08-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Don't get confused by the "red" name they gave to this camera, it's only a marketing trick to use the hype created by the Red camera. I bought two of these inexpensive cameras but can't remember the name and model, I've the into at the office.

chrusion
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Exactly! Red had Aiptek brand and color them I think just for marketing/hype at Siggy as there's nothing about them on their website and they really are an inexpensive grade, low-tech, consumer-only unit. No one getting an actual Red Camera would blink twice at these little handheld "toys." However, just shows the technology is there now at the consumer level to do pretty decent anamorphic 1080p HD video. Give these units a much higher grade lens with true aperture-controlled exposure with a standard 1/30th sec fixed shutter speed option, a nice 10x zoom lens, and more/better user adjustable/selectable menu features like true 1920 x 1080, and I'd be hyping these up as the best, cheap, HD consumer cams to date.

aglick
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Stay away from the Aiptek crap. I bought one at SIGGRAPH a couple of years ago and will regret it for all time.

terrible image quality. terrible batter life. IMPOSSIBLE MENU NAVIGATION.

Broke after only 9 months (and only 3 or 4 uses). Couldn't get me money back.

Seriously - beware of men in white labcoats selling cameras for a price that sounds too good to be true. It IS.

hambone
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
We sell those Aiptek cameras at Best Buy, and damn those are just about as bad as you can get. nearly all we have on the floor are returns. if anything, pick up the sony 30 GB harddrive camera. that ones a trooper.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.