PDA

View Full Version : faster way than influence objects?

Levitateme
06-02-2003, 08:33 AM
i was watching my gnomon dvd on influence objects. is there somethign faster than what alex does? i spent hours setting up half of my character, after that i said ok now im suppose to do this all over...any ideas?methods other people use. i would love to see somethign that is realy fast. i mostly make low geormetry models like for games.

galactor
06-03-2003, 10:15 AM
I think it would work if you make use of blendShapes. I think this won't work on lowpoly models because with this method you can't have your character made out of one surface. But it would work when you wan't to use the low polygon object as an Wrap Deformer for Sund or Nurbs.

:: Galactor ::

Levitateme
06-04-2003, 05:37 AM
what about lattice deformers? i dont know how to do that yeti mean if i could set driven keys to them and be able to move the verts and key that would be amazing. is it possible to have a object set a Driven key move some verts and driven key again, with the verts moved? i think alex talks about it but i forgot what he said.

loked
06-06-2003, 02:09 AM
Hey Levitateme,

Basically as far as I know, for this type of thing you can use Influences, Blendshapes, Clusters, Sculpt Deformers and lattices. I'm sure there are more, but achieving a similar result is possible with anyone of these methods. Its really just a question of performance and which is easier to setup. Personally I find influences the easiest, although they can get very heavy on the scene, especially when you have 'use component' on. The blendshape method also yields nice results, but its also quite tedious to setup. The nice thing about the blendshapes, is that once you've created it, you can delete the blendshape geometry, so your scene is pretty clean.

The one method that I would'nt recommend is the cluster method, I found it to get really slow after a while or maybe its just me!:annoyed:

To be honest, you can make use of all of them at some point if you really want, just mess around with them and find which one works best for you.

Oh yeah, using Lattices is pretty much the same as clusters. You apply the lattice to the vertices and drive it with the rotation of the joints or whatever else you want.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Later!!
loked

atzfratz
06-06-2003, 10:45 AM
if youre going for low poly stuff, maybe you wanna check out the rigid binding, its faster and the flexors are very easy and fast to set up.

anthonymcgrath
06-06-2003, 11:18 AM
yeah, I agree with that - influence objects are great but as soon as you detach the skin, you have to do it all over! does anyone know any different on this?

I personally use blendshapes and driven keys if my character is made up of different parts ie: seperate arms, legs, head, etc.. this way the blendshape data is only working on a localised area and not recording data for the entire model! Also I can make subtle changes to the area and even create shape animation for that particular blendshape which is then passed onto the character - twitching tricep muscle for example! :)

I haven't actually used a lattice deformer as yet - am I missing out? anyone got a good example?

As for single mesh characters - I generally try to get the best results from straight skinning before moving onto deformers and the like but there are heaps of different ways and it comes down to preference I guess just as 'Loked' mentioned.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.