PDA

View Full Version : Bisley's Warrior Princess, Joew (3D)

JoeW
06-02-2003, 06:05 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/25753/BH_Sword_Pose_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/25753/BH_Sword_Pose.jpg)

Well, at the urging of some of the Hash guys, I'm posting this here. This character is based on the painting by Simon Bisley (unknown title) - which also happened to be the inspiration for Paul Steed of id Software to create the character "Hunter" in Quake III Arena.

You can see a hi-res image here:

I plan to use this model for a series of stills and animations - but I liked the "body builder" pose enough to just keep it to a simple background for now. She was built and rendered in Animation Master V10.5.

Critiques welcome...

JoeW

hypercube
06-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Wow, I had no idea Hash's renderer could do this now..without looking very carefully I'd easily take that for a vinyl kit :D

Very nice model and pose, something bothersome about the left leg, but you've definitely captured the flavor and style. :thumbsup:

Would be cool to see in a full scene..look forward to more.

DSedov
06-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Very stylish and very ... atmospheric and sexual in a sense. Considering this being AM, I can say Im wordless.

Jonas8200
06-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Yeah, i like the pose, and yes its kinda sexy.
I'm simply amazed by this, and I'd very much like to see a wireframe of it if possible. By the way, what do you think of Animation Master in regards to character modeling, in comparison to Maya or MAX?
Again, excellent work.:buttrock:

Nightwing
06-02-2003, 07:19 AM
Wow!

I really like this, I can now see where hunter's headdress came from :) My first reaction was also that it's a kit of some sort. Wonderful detail and great textures, imho this is what Hunter should have looked like :D

Please do post more...

PaxtonGerrish
06-02-2003, 08:09 AM
really really good model, your plugged for sure..
the only thing buggin me is the right foot.. I see this a lot in cg.. its like theres no impact, like its floating a bit.. maybe this could be corrected with a blend shape/ morph target or what ever its called in animation master In order to flatten the bottom of the foot to sort of ground it..
Or maybe it could be corrected by adding more of a shadow beneath it....
anyway somethings bugging me but i dont really know how to fix it any way, so i wouldnt worry too much.
cheers man
beautifull model:thumbsup:

grihan
06-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Very good! At first sight, it appears to be an action figure photo!
I like the anatomy too

erilaz
06-02-2003, 01:45 PM
That woman looks VERY scary.:surprised

osukayasuragi
06-02-2003, 08:18 PM
so what where you thinking whit when you made that? >>> start using you brain insted of your ****

road
06-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Fantastic stuff Joe...
Glad to see you posting up here...
The model is incredible... Glad I have the privledge to see her in motion as well... that's the true beauty of her...

osukayasuragi - that was an idiotic post you made! Confine your remarks to something productive next time...

keithv
06-02-2003, 09:04 PM
i think it is frontpage material

love the sword pose

:drool: :applause: :thumbsup:

JoeW
06-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by hypercube
Wow, I had no idea Hash's renderer could do this now..without looking very carefully I'd easily take that for a vinyl kit :D

Very nice model and pose, something bothersome about the left leg, but you've definitely captured the flavor and style. :thumbsup:

Would be cool to see in a full scene..look forward to more.

Thanks for the compliments all :) !

AM's renderer is improving almost weekly - and has come a LONG way in the last version - which is great news for those of us who like to use it. :)

Originally posted by Jonas8200 Yeah, i like the pose, and yes its kinda sexy.
I'm simply amazed by this, and I'd very much like to see a wireframe of it if possible. By the way, what do you think of Animation Master in regards to character modeling, in comparison to Maya or MAX?
Again, excellent work. [/B]

Thank you again - I put a wireframe up at:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/CGTalk/BH_Wireframe.jpg

it's a bit messy - but that's an issue with AM and openGL at this point in time...

Hash is like "sketching" in 3D for me. I like LW for modeling characters, too - but AM is just so darn fast and you can keep your models "loose" until you want to stitch everything together. I DO wish AM had some of the functionality of LW's SDS (spinquads and bandsaw would rock) - but it's a toss up. I will often start a model in AM and then take it into LW to finish it up (if I'm going to be working with it in LW). As far as Maya and Max, well, I'd take LW over both of them - their SDS modeling is SO slow - but they do have some nice mapping features over LW. Also, there's no other app I'd rather map a character than in AM - it's so intuitive for me, it's scary....

One other thing that makes AM my choice for characters is that their tools are unmatched in any other package. Smartskin - REAL smartskin is so cool, it floors me that nobody else has picked up on the paradigm. You can move a bone, tweak the mesh, move it again, tweak it again, move, tweak, move, tweak, until you have all the rotations covered. Then, when you animate, the model *remembers* all of the things it's supposed to do - no expressions to write, no morph targets to load. You can set as many "keyframes" as you like - and once you're done with one side, you simply mirror the results across to the other side. Makes all the other "solutions" look pretty weak....

Originally posted by Nightwing Wow!

I really like this, I can now see where hunter's headdress came from My first reaction was also that it's a kit of some sort. Wonderful detail and great textures, imho this is what Hunter should have looked like

Please do post more... [/B]

Will do - I was kind of suprised at how this (very) simple lighting worked - one of those "happy accidents". I agree that this is what Hunter should have looked like - I'd have played in Third Person view ALL the time - LOL!

In regards to the left leg, well, I'm not all that happy with the left foot, and the calf is pretty stylized (lots of curvature) - but it isn't meant to be photorealistic - it's *Bisley*, after all :)

I also agree with the comment about the right foot - that's a tough one. Maybe I'll try to flatten it out a bit, but I know that it's just the nature of 3D and "fake" lighting to cause problems there. Good comments, though :)

Originally posted by osukayasuragi so what where you thinking whit when you made that? >>> start using you brain insted of your **** [/B]

I was thinking how much I admire the work of Simon Bisley and wondering if I could capture his style (or at least a part of it) in 3D.

I also will NOT appologize for the fact that I am a male, *and* an artist. I appreciate the female form - the flowing lines and shapes - creating that in 3D is like capturing beauty - and is very difficult. For me, it's about appreciation of the form and the creation process. That's what I was thinking.

As an artist, I control the image - but any *sexual* interpretations (or hang-ups) are all yours....

JoeW

Mackan
06-02-2003, 09:34 PM
awesome stuff
love the picture! (and thats not just because im a male ;))

and dont listen to that osukayasuragi guy (gal?)
either he was being sarcastic, or hes just jelous or something..

Shaykai
06-02-2003, 10:21 PM
great piece, also you handled the osukayasuragi comment well, not becoming rude which is easy to do when baited like that.

Shaykai

skii
06-02-2003, 11:49 PM
wat the hell!!!
this is 3d!??
looks like a painting.....
good job in succedding in the painting style...

oh and why is she even wearing whats she is wearing lol..
its soOOoo small and useless..
hha..

anyways great work....

Boxcarwilli
06-03-2003, 12:04 AM
WOW, Im trying to think of my comment or why Im even writing a reply post, im just floored.

Boxcarwilli
06-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Must be some skin safe glue holding on the nipple covers no?
:)

Kel Solaar
06-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Great Job! I like the pose! The woman is stronger :buttrock: :buttrock:

FatherGlory
06-03-2003, 12:42 AM
Very nice. I like the skin tone blending. :buttrock:

Beroc-LOD
06-03-2003, 12:44 AM
GAWD DAMN that is Beautiful.....

Reminds me very much of Boris Valejo. Awesome.

It does bring to mind a very old comic strip I saw once in Dragon Magazine.... It had a real cute hottie with nohting on but a bikini top and bottom made of chain mail... and lots of arrows sticking out of her "Breast" plate.... The caption underneath was "Thank god I was wearing my armor". Heh...

My Fault
06-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Great work Joe, as usual. It's been amazing seeing your progress on her. As good as I think you are, you do something like this and blow my mind even more! :applause: :applause: :applause:

deddy
06-03-2003, 01:01 AM
awesome,
superb...
well done ....
I like the mask, but I think I saw the similar one before.
It's demoreel from hiko, if you guys ever heard of that
but yeah.
well done

I'm impressed by the weighting...
can you share with us how to that??

swag
06-03-2003, 01:01 AM
wonderful work :applause:

Strob
06-03-2003, 01:03 AM
I like the warm feeling of the skin

CGmonkey
06-03-2003, 01:03 AM
I'm amazed! *quake 3 flashback* Hunter was a bi**h in singleplayer mode! :)

Good quality :thumbsup.

JeT
06-03-2003, 01:08 AM
whats holding up those nipple 'protectors?

nice work man

crits, either her breasts and her hips are too big or her stomach is too small. increase stomach circumference for more realistic image.

the metal doesnt look very metally, on the sword and armpads especially, the skin could use a once over as well, add some paleness to that perfect tan :P

true beauty is in the imperfection.

Meshweaver
06-03-2003, 01:10 AM
I hope you've entered this for the Expose book?

very nice work and spot on for Bisley-ness :)

goatrape
06-03-2003, 01:11 AM
i agree with JeT about the lower abdomen portion being too small. I do really like the texturing and modeling superb job!!!

cutepixie
06-03-2003, 01:13 AM
wow i likes lots...sorta reminds me of a tarzan but in girl form...very cool and artisic way to go man:thumbsup:

BoydLake
06-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Naw, don't touch that waist....that's how Bisley draws em. Nice work dude, though I would'nt mind some new poses and a bit different lighting scheme.

Kogepan
06-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by JeT
whats holding up those nipple 'protectors?

nice work man

crits, either her breasts and her hips are too big or her stomach is too small. increase stomach circumference for more realistic image.

Bugger realism! This has style. :buttrock: Something often lacking in 3D art, imho.

the metal doesnt look very metally, on the sword and armpads especially, the skin could use a once over as well, add some paleness to that perfect tan :P

Yes... but... look at what she's wearing... seems like a perfect tan would be rather easy for her to achieve. Personally I think the skin tone is almost perfect. It looks "warm," which adds a dimension of realism to it that may not be photorealistic, but is nevertheless inviting.

pascal_blanche
06-03-2003, 01:35 AM
wow... realy nice work... Im not really crazy about the pose you should try to go back to the original one that bisley did (see attached pict) ... but still... that's a great model, thx for sharing!!

http://www.raptor6.hpg.ig.com.br/jjbinks/sbisley/images/simon_bisley_058.jpg

MorBioS
06-03-2003, 01:37 AM
holy s***
man great work
I'm loving that girl:thumbsup:

goodlag
06-03-2003, 01:40 AM
wow Beautifull work! I love it

lovely body

:drool: :drool: :drool: :thumbsup:

3DArtZ
06-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Joe, that looks friggin great!
How's the model perform in hash? Does it bog it down when moving her around in shaded mode?
How about those joints? Smartskin or orther?
Either way, excellent work
Mike Fitz

Chewey
06-03-2003, 01:53 AM
Nice work. I think the face needs to be pushed a step away from realistic such as the body exhibits so that it matches the body style better.

facial
06-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Hi, JoeW. Very interesting work here.

:thumbsup:

HapZungLam
06-03-2003, 02:20 AM
very nice modeling skill. yeh... it is very nice.

manutara
06-03-2003, 02:31 AM
Those feet look really bad. Left toes...:shrug: ...

Every thing else looks awesome, but work on those feet...please!!!:thumbsup:

jtk77
06-03-2003, 02:40 AM
For a hash render, they have come a long way!
I don't care for the sword material, that texture looks out of place becouse it seems so washed out . Kinda cartoony and it lacks depth for some reason.
I'm sure if you intend aniamtion of a still. If its a still her front foot does not appear to take on any weight of her body from that lundge . The fleshy parts should look as if weight was distrubuted onto them with a floor that hard.
But , unfortunily, you rarely see that in any CG , its a difficult thing to set up, especialy for aniamtion , you almost have to have aset of blend shapes for preasure points to trigger when you need them. If she wasn't so extended with the look of her intire mass on that front foot, it won't be so apperent.
But awsome model, I love it.

hey manutara, kick ass model haha !

Digiegg
06-03-2003, 02:48 AM
it's very very very sexy.
But I wouldn't want to make moves on her... :scream:

insanepoly
06-03-2003, 02:57 AM
Awesome work. I think the waist is fine as it is as you probably weren't looking to model a physically accurate woman. Afterall, its Bisley's style you were after.

As for the weight on the foot, you'll probably have to model a morph deformer for that as well. I guess that's the only thing I find out of place and its not even entirely your fault.

gigatron
06-03-2003, 03:13 AM
Hey that's cool. LOL I love the last part where the director beats the crap out of the room :D

DragonKore
06-03-2003, 04:12 AM
That's great. The skull on the top of her head is awesome. I'de love to see that animated in a battle scene.

ngrava
06-03-2003, 04:53 AM
Yep, Very cool. I am really impresses that you where able to make that in Animation Master. It really shows that it's not the tools but the artist that make great art. I used to work for Hash back in 95 and it's great to see them growing there feature list. I love th idea of pose sliders. It's like taking XSI's motion blender or lightwave's Endomorphs to the next level. I didn't know about the smart skin stuff though. That sounds great. You can do the same thing in Maya with 'Set Driven Key' and blend shapes but it's a bit of a hassle compared with what you described. Did you use the new version that has that new Polygon smoothing thing in the renderer? I haven't seen what it can do but I've heard about it. Sounds like one of those featured I used to bug Martin about.

-=GB=-

JoeW
06-03-2003, 04:55 AM
Jeeez - I had no idea there were so many foot-fetish people out there! LOL!

Okay, first, thanks for all the kudos and the criticism. Usually, my *first*reaction to constructive criticism is "WHAT the hell are you talking about!?" - but then, it sinks in, and some of it rings true - and I go back and make changes. It's always nice to have a fresh set of eyes take a look. I wasn't totally happy with the feet, myself - the left foot was WAY too blocky - so I went and changed it to more of a dancer's foot - kind of curled with a protruding big toe. I'm rendering that fix now.

As far as the front foot "taking weight" - well, that's a tough one. The mesh is pretty light, so it's hard to give it much of a "squashed" look - but I did tweak it some, and I think it looks better. I'll post the "updates" when the render is finished (rendering at 4800x4800 takes a little while...)

-------------------------------------------------------------
skii wrote:
oh and why is she even wearing whats she is wearing lol..
its soOOoo small and useless..
hha..
--------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, it's FAR more sexy to have just a little bit covered than to have her completely nude. Your imagination is the best sweetener in the world :)

Boxcarwilli wrote:
Must be some skin safe glue holding on the nipple covers no?

Well, given that the design IS Bisley, I'd say it's more likely that its held on with nipple rings :D

deddy wrote:
I like the mask, but I think I saw the similar one before.
It's demoreel from hiko, if you guys ever heard of that
but yeah.
well done

I'm impressed by the weighting...
can you share with us how to that??
----------------------------------------------------------------

Is anything *truly* original any more?

In Animation Master, you don't use any kind of weightmaps for joints - you use a combination of "cosmetic bones" and more importantly Smartskin. In a nutshell, you simply put the bone where you want it and fix the mesh - move the bone again, and fix the mesh - until you've covered all the positions that you would want to put the bone in. Once you've done that for one half of the model, you simply mirror the data over to the other side - The data is saved in the model. When you are animating, whenever you move that bone, the mesh "remembers" how it's supposed to deform. It's SO superior to anything else out there - yet none of the "big" packages have it. I know there are similar things out there, but the Joint Morphs and Deformer Cages are a huge pain in the ass to set up - AM is so simple, it's a huge stuggle for me to tolerate working in something like Maya or LW.

---------------------------------------------------------------
JeT wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bisley's style is huge boobs and "hippy" women - I wasn't really going for realism (who are we kidding? - she's pushing 7' tall). I actually took a step BACK from what I could have done - check out the image posted later in the thread....

Metal is tough to do in AM. I actually think it looks pretty good - but that's my opinion. I was going for a "Damascus steel" look on the blade and the armor - if you've ever seen it, it's kind of a dull looking material with certain finishes. I didn't want to do a "chrome" sword - too clean for a Bisley inspired design....

Hmmm - it's strange that you think she has a "perfect tan" - there is a hell of a lot of variation in the skin maps. I wanted to give her a "field hand's" tan, as opposed to a "tanning bed" tan - so the parts that don't get sun directly are pretty pale. Of course, that lighting is pretty direct, and that's probably not helping it show up.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Boyd Lake wrote:
Naw, don't touch that waist....that's how Bisley draws em. Nice work dude, though I would'nt mind some new poses and a bit different lighting scheme.

Ah, a man who knows the Biz's work :)

I plan to do a lot more - this was actually the first serious render after finishing most of the rig. I'll post more as I get them finished :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pascal Blanche' wrote:
wow... realy nice work... Im not really crazy about the pose you should try to go back to the original one that bisley did (see attached pict) ... but still... that's a great model, thx for sharing!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Pascal - and thanks VERY much for posting that image. I was working from a really small image - like 330X400 - and now I see all the detail I missed! LOL! Anyway, where did you snag that image?

In regards to the pose, well, there are some who like it, and some who don't. I happen to have a body-building background, so to me it's very comfortable - but I also agree with you in that I also love the original pose in the painting - which I have every intention of recreating in 3D. I promise to post it when I set it up :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Fitz wrote:
Joe, that looks friggin great!
How's the model perform in hash? Does it bog it down when moving her around in shaded mode?
How about those joints? Smartskin or orther?
Either way, excellent work
Mike Fitz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Mike - she moves very quickly in AM - pretty much real time - at least I can't think of a time when I moved her that I had to wait for AM to catch up. The mesh is pretty light, and I don't use a very complex rig - I find they get in my way when I try to animate the way I like to. Joints are handled with a combination of Orient Like (cosmetic) bones, and Smartskin - although this pose has some CP tweaks that I'll probably go back and fix in the Smartskins....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chewey wrote:
Nice work. I think the face needs to be pushed a step away from realistic such as the body exhibits so that it matches the body style better.

Thanks for the input Chewey. To an extent, I would agree, but the problem is that you walk a fine line between a face being attractive and freakish. You can get away with murder in 2D - so it's easy to distort proportions *at a specific viewing angle* and get away with it - in 3D it's much harder. I suppose if I were more skilled, I could push that point with some confidence, but I'll have to leave that until I get better at this whole modeling thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
jtk77 wrote:

For a hash render, they have come a long way!
I don't care for the sword material, that texture looks out of place becouse it seems so washed out . Kinda cartoony and it lacks depth for some reason.
I'm sure if you intend aniamtion of a still. If its a still her front foot does not appear to take on any weight of her body from that lundge . The fleshy parts should look as if weight was distrubuted onto them with a floor that hard.
But , unfortunily, you rarely see that in any CG , its a difficult thing to set up, especialy for aniamtion , you almost have to have aset of blend shapes for preasure points to trigger when you need them. If she wasn't so extended with the look of her intire mass on that front foot, it won't be so apperent.
But awsome model, I love it.

Yes, Hash has come a long way. Especially when you consider that most add-on renderers cost 3 to 5 times what AM alone costs.

The sword lacks depth, I think (and I'm suprised nobody caught this) because it doesn't cast a shadow. I turned it off. It cast a shadow across the headress that was more bothersome to me than the lack of a shadow in the first place. I may go back and put a "toned down" one in there, but then again, maybe not. I appreciate the critique, though.

This character is intended for both stills and animation. I'm in the process of doing what I can about the feet - critique taken. I think she's going to look awesome when she's moving :)

Once again, thanks very much everybody for the critiques and the kudos - I appreciate you all taking the time to comment!

JoeW

JoeW
06-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by ngrava
Yep, Very cool. I am really impresses that you where able to make that in Animation Master. It really shows that it's not the tools but the artist that make great art. I used to work for Hash back in 95 and it's great to see them growing there feature list. I love th idea of pose sliders. It's like taking XSI's motion blender or lightwave's Endomorphs to the next level. I didn't know about the smart skin stuff though. That sounds great. You can do the same thing in Maya with 'Set Driven Key' and blend shapes but it's a bit of a hassle compared with what you described. Did you use the new version that has that new Polygon smoothing thing in the renderer? I haven't seen what it can do but I've heard about it. Sounds like one of those featured I used to bug Martin about.

-=GB=-

Thank you - I couldn't agree more with your comment about "it's not the tools".....

"Poses" in AM put everything I've seen to shame. What other package allows you to open a window, manipulate bones, CP's, constraints and maps all at the same time, with multiple keyframes on a slider - without writing any expressions or trundling through 50 dialog boxes? Unfortunately, I'm *used* to being able to do that, and it makes working in other packages very painful. We have a *very* experienced Maya TD at Avalanche - when I showed him what AM could do, and how EASY it was to do it - he was speechless - he had always considered it a "toy" program.

Smartskin, which used to be axis driven (i.e. you had to do separate smartskin for X, Y, and Z rotation) is now "3D". It uses quaternion rotations - so now you can smartskin on all axis simultaneously - very, very cool.

The "polygon smoothing" thing you're talking about is the result of our constant screeching about "creasing" and the fact that one of our guys pretty much figured out how to fix it (something that supposedly wasn't possible). We shared our information with Martin, and he incorporated our stuff with some of his changes - and we now have a "base" renderer that looks tons better than the old one (basically, the old AM renderer wasn't calculating continuity across patches - so boundaries looked like sheeee-it - the new one samples normals in a 4x4 pattern, and it works very well). The renderer still microtesselates along edges, though - so, no polygonal edges. The renderer is getting a little stronger with each beta release (about every week) - and if I get my way, you'll soon be able to do separate passes out of the renderer for easier compositing :)

It's still got it's problems, but AM is coming along. I think if they can stop trying to rewrite the thing every few years and just stick to *evolving* the software, it could be a VERY formidable player in the 3D world.

JoeW

phade2
06-03-2003, 05:35 AM
nice job! good to see another AM artist with some skills. :thumbsup:

dazrenius
06-04-2003, 03:19 AM
i like this image becoz the posture of the warrior is very sexy, strong and with a lot of attitude! Other than the artistic side, i found out the software used to make this is improving a lot. Maybe the guy is just a computer genius

slaughters
06-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by skii
...and why is she even wearing whats she is wearing lol..
its soOOoo small and useless.. It's to fend off those warrior nursing babies.

Nice model. The render reminded me a little of a Boris painting.

chudofsinister
06-04-2003, 07:16 AM
FReaking very cool. I dig it when someone tries to do a cool looking character rather than go after that Holy Grail of the most hyper realistic model ever( skin crawling up spine). Great work in this image she is not as maybe 'worn' as a bisley character might be but I am sure there is time for that. What I was wondering is what you did to create the feathers. Geometry with some sort of special maps or something..? Thanks for the info.
chud

el paso
06-04-2003, 08:11 AM
ghetto booty

:p

Markuss
06-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Thats really cool! Hunter was my favorite Quake III character and I haven't even seen the original Bisley picture before! Bisley's painting is a little bit more "fleshy" and yours a little bit more "muscular" but anyways great work!

I think the arm looks a little bit thin between the delta and the biceps. Maybe the delta is a little too round or something? Anyways, I still think it looks great! I would love to see more poses...

nerzhul
06-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Love it. Great skin textures and muscle definition!

CactusJack
06-04-2003, 11:53 PM
Very impressive...here's to ya!:beer:
Animate her...now!!!....:beer:
After that, how about modeling that vulture looking creature (from the picture that "pascal blanché" posted)...:beer:
Up for the challenge?...:beer:

All beer aside, I am awe'd by your work....:drool:

:buttrock:

FloydBishop
06-05-2003, 12:03 AM
Have the Heavy Metal guys seen this? They should, cause it's awesome.

JoeW
06-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Thank you for the compliments, guys - it inspires me to do more :)

dazrenius wrote:

i found out the software used to make this is improving a lot. Maybe the guy is just a computer genius

Eeesh - a genius? Not me - LOL! Unless you define "genius" as 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration :) She went through a lot of stages before I was happy with her (and she'll still get tweaked here and there, I'm sure). I *wish* I was one of these guys who can whip out a model in 8 hours - but I'm not. I'm just stubborn :)

slaughters wrote:

It's to fend off those warrior nursing babies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Damn right. They're mean little bastids.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
chudofsinister wrote:

FReaking very cool. I dig it when someone tries to do a cool looking character rather than go after that Holy Grail of the most hyper realistic model ever( skin crawling up spine). Great work in this image she is not as maybe 'worn' as a bisley character might be but I am sure there is time for that. What I was wondering is what you did to create the feathers. Geometry with some sort of special maps or something..? Thanks for the info.
chud

Thanks, chud. I agree - if you want REAL hire an actor... or in this case, a bikini model... which might have been more fun... but here in Salt Lake, it's considered a "sin" for a girl to expose her shoulders, so we're a little short on hotties ;)

She could be more worn, but like you said, the dirt maps are coming later - I want them to match the environment.

The feathers are nothing really special - just single-thickness patches with clip maps, specular maps, color maps and diffuse maps. You don't see a lot of that because of the way the light is hitting them - but if she was moving, you'd see flashes of "sheen" across them.

el paso wrote:

ghetto booty

Baby's gotta have back. On the serious side, my preference is for voluptuous - not fat, but curves are what says "woman" to me....

Markus_S wrote:

Thats really cool! Hunter was my favorite Quake III character and I haven't even seen the original Bisley picture before! Bisley's painting is a little bit more "fleshy" and yours a little bit more "muscular" but anyways great work!

I think the arm looks a little bit thin between the delta and the biceps. Maybe the delta is a little too round or something? Anyways, I still think it looks great! I would love to see more poses...

I asked Paul Steed if he'd seen that Bisley had ripped him off - and he told me he was influenced by *him*. Since I'd done a nice piece based on the QuakeIII Hunter, I decided to do one based on the original - it was like I found I'd put all this effort into copying a copy :)

You can see the Quake version of Hunter here:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/samples/Hunter's_Homeland.jpg

I agree that she is more muscular, but that's just my preference showing through - I'm a body builder, and I like women who are a bit more "fit" - although female *pro* bodybuilders are pretty repulsive to me.

I agree with your statement - in this view, it does look short - but also in this view, her boobs look almost proportional - in some other renders I've done, they look pretty massive. I think it'll really take seeing her moving to do a fair job of judging it - but thanks for taking the time to critique it :)

Another couple of *test* poses:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/samples/sexyhunterback2.jpg
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/samples/sexyhunterswsm.jpg

CactusJack wrote:

Very impressive...here's to ya!
Animate her...now!!!....
After that, how about modeling that vulture looking creature (from the picture that "pascal blanché" posted)...
Up for the challenge?...

All beer aside, I am awe'd by your work....

Thanks. I plan to do some animations with her - thinking about a sword kata right now - we'll see. Work keeps getting in the way of my artwork :)

The Vulture would be pretty easy, I think. Doing ugly things is a hell of a lot easier that beautiful things, and it makes it even better when it's something that doesn't exist. Nobody can say - "Hey, that xxxxxx doesn't look like it should!"

The question is, if I do model it, would I use it... hmmmm....

FloydBishop wrote:

Have the Heavy Metal guys seen this? They should, cause it's awesome.

Floyd! How's life treating you, man? Good to see you here :)

I haven't sent it to them (wanted to send it to Bisley - just to pay homage) - but wasn't sure where to send it... any ideas (connections)?

JoeW

ATAHUALPA
06-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Fantastic model, fantastic rendering (as all things Joe models or animates) :bounce:

First animation I remember was Tiara, which I still love. Not only
the style, she smiles in way....uahhhh!

Hope all of your work will push A:M, so that more and more people will use it, not only as hobbiests, but also in studios.

I for myself have to work with Maya, but my all time favourite is A:M (not to forget HASH and the community)

Let's see if version 10.5 and Joe will infiltrate A:M into smaller and bigger studios.....:thumbsup:

Martin

www.cybersign.de

bucherer
06-06-2003, 08:02 AM
really awesome work..:thumbsup:

Radacci
06-06-2003, 10:29 AM
i think that the pink feathers stands out to much in the pic, and it distracts you from the whole, and i dont think the feathers are the main thing you want to focus on eh? :)

lildragon
06-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Ok first of all I didn't know A:M was capable of such beauty passes in the renderer... wait a minute yeah I did with Brian Prince's work but anyhoo ;) this is just wicked! I love her legs especially, the breasts are typically huge but well modeled. The entire comp screams sexy, but where she got such a stylish thong in the amazon is beyond me ;)

BTW I've always replaced your link to hash's ftp so you're not hogging their bandwith, it's now linked to your gallery picture. And please don't hog OUR bandwith ;)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Vash T Stampede
06-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Yowza!

:drool:

ngrava
06-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Thank you - I couldn't agree more with your comment about "it's not the tools".....

"Poses" in AM put everything I've seen to shame. What other package allows you to open a window, manipulate bones, CP's, constraints and maps all at the same time, with multiple keyframes on a slider - without writing any expressions or trundling through 50 dialog boxes? Unfortunately, I'm *used* to being able to do that, and it makes working in other packages very painful. We have a *very* experienced Maya TD at Avalanche - when I showed him what AM could do, and how EASY it was to do it - he was speechless - he had always considered it a "toy" program.
---------------------------------
Avalanche?!! Well that explains it! ;-) You guys rock. I'm just down the road from you in P-town. Anyway, Yeah I use Maya too and every now and them I catch a glimps of some news about Hash and I'm like, "That's pretty f**king cool!"

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those who likes the modeling tools. In fact, if it wasn't for the modeler, Id probably use it and recommend it's use in more productions that I'm involved with. I have to say I'm sold on Subdivision surfaces. For me, there is no other modeling technology. I guess I'm lucky that so many packeges use it. :-)

Another unfortunate thing is that Martin will never cave in and do it. He is diametrically opposed to anything polygon related. Before SUb-D's, I saw the value in the statement: "Just say no to polygons" (I still have that T-shirt somewhere =P), But now it's like... "What was your argument again?"

I've been thinking of emailing Martin for about a year and telling him about my ideal Sub-D modeling tools that looked like splines but internally used some kind of Sub-D routine... But I know what he would say... :-(
---------------------------------
Smartskin, which used to be axis driven (i.e. you had to do separate smartskin for X, Y, and Z rotation) is now "3D". It uses quaternion rotations - so now you can smartskin on all axis simultaneously - very, very cool.

The "polygon smoothing" thing you're talking about is the result of our constant screeching about "creasing" and the fact that one of our guys pretty much figured out how to fix it (something that supposedly wasn't possible). We shared our information with Martin, and he incorporated our stuff with some of his changes - and we now have a "base" renderer that looks tons better than the old one (basically, the old AM renderer wasn't calculating continuity across patches - so boundaries looked like sheeee-it - the new one samples normals in a 4x4 pattern, and it works very well). The renderer still microtesselates along edges, though - so, no polygonal edges. The renderer is getting a little stronger with each beta release (about every week) - and if I get my way, you'll soon be able to do separate passes out of the renderer for easier compositing
----------------------------
So, you guys came up with that?! Well, that's hopeful. At least Martin is listening to someone other then the voices in his head.
;-) I figured it was something like that. Hash patches have the same issues that most patch based geometry has. I don't know why it's not more of a priority to make them render continuous surfaces. It's really bad in Maya with NURBS. Ever since I started working with Maya I've been awakened to how stupid NURBS can be. Anyway, I'm dying to see what this new renderer looks like.
----------------------------
It's still got it's problems, but AM is coming along. I think if they can stop trying to rewrite the thing every few years and just stick to *evolving* the software, it could be a VERY formidable player in the 3D world.

JoeW
--------------------------------
Yeah, I was just talking about this very same thing last night. The Main issue seems to me that Martin is happy selling his product to people who can't spend more then $300 for it. Large studios are looking for software companies that will let them help guide the product. Features that are missing from say, Maya, can be written into it via plugins. But Martin doesn't want to open up the program. Oh sure, you can write custom shaders, but that's not going to help that much. If Martin opened up the architecture, I really feel it would be an entirely different program.

But.... That will never happen. Because Martin is not selling to people who would use that. Ugh! Oh well.

Good Luck :-)
-=GB=-

valiu
06-07-2003, 07:12 AM
my god!!!!
and i say...my god....!!!
man...you are so good....
princess...you are so sexy!!!
i guess she is single...????!!!

d4rk
06-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Elmond Ark Shin
i think that the pink feathers stands out to much in the pic, and it distracts you from the whole, and i dont think the feathers are the main thing you want to focus on eh? :)

There is feathers? What are you talking about?

oh ok I see, she's also got a sword too. Niiiiiiiiice! Have to d/l so I can examine more closely :drool:

Philipe
06-07-2003, 03:28 PM
I like a lot. The image is good. The materials too. I love the skin tone, and metal of the swird. But the awesome is the bone texture.
I still looking a few minutes to be right if it is really 3d model or an real 3d model. ( miniature)
I think you can just refine the ground little a bit.
Philipe:thumbsup:

Intonater
06-12-2003, 03:27 AM
Good model and material,but I felt a little strange about waist: It seemed too thin to support the weight of body upside, or that was your art style? :thumbsup: :shrug:

PureFire
06-12-2003, 03:54 AM
I love it...excellent pose and beautiful features :scream:

JoeW
06-13-2003, 04:48 AM
ATAHUALPA wrote:

Fantastic model, fantastic rendering (as all things Joe models or animates)..
Thanks, Martin - I hope to help push AM to a "higher level" too - but I hope the community is the REAL force behind changes in AM - when *everybody* wants something, that's when it gets serious attention. The other thing that helps is when AM is used for production - Martin likes to see AM used for this stuff, so when we do production work (like cinematics for games) he tends to listen pretty hard.....

We all gotta keep the pressure on.... :)

bucherer wrote:

really awesome work..
Thank you :)

Elmond Ark Shin wrote:

i think that the pink feathers stands out to much in the pic, and it distracts you from the whole, and i dont think the feathers are the main thing you want to focus on eh?
I agree with the fact that they do stand out, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I consulted a couple of my coworkers who are FANTASTIC painters, and they thought that the feathers added a nice contrast. I also was trying to stay true to the design of the character, and the feathers DO stand out on that design....

lildragon wrote:

Ok first of all I didn't know A:M was capable of such beauty passes in the renderer... wait a minute yeah I did with Brian Prince's work but anyhoo this is just wicked! I love her legs especially, the breasts are typically huge but well modeled. The entire comp screams sexy, but where she got such a stylish thong in the amazon is beyond me

BTW I've always replaced your link to hash's ftp so you're not hogging their bandwith, it's now linked to your gallery picture. And please don't hog OUR bandwith

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

Thanks, Tito - I'm honored :) I'm beginning to think that you're not a boob man, though - LOL! Thanks also for replacing the link - Hash's site can be a bit slow for some people :)

ngrava wrote:

Avalanche?!! Well that explains it! ;-) You guys rock. I'm just down the road from you in P-town. Anyway, Yeah I use Maya too and every now and them I catch a glimps of some news about Hash and I'm like, "That's pretty f**king cool!"

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those who likes the modeling tools. In fact, if it wasn't for the modeler, Id probably use it and recommend it's use in more productions that I'm involved with. I have to say I'm sold on Subdivision surfaces. For me, there is no other modeling technology. I guess I'm lucky that so many packeges use it. :-)

Another unfortunate thing is that Martin will never cave in and do it. He is diametrically opposed to anything polygon related. Before SUb-D's, I saw the value in the statement: "Just say no to polygons" (I still have that T-shirt somewhere =P), But now it's like... "What was your argument again?"

I've been thinking of emailing Martin for about a year and telling him about my ideal Sub-D modeling tools that looked like splines but internally used some kind of Sub-D routine... But I know what he would say... :-(

But.... That will never happen. Because Martin is not selling to people who would use that. Ugh! Oh well.

Thanks GB! I feel fortunate to work around as many talented people as I do. We argue a lot, but once you get used to the fact that it's about the work and not personal, it just makes you better :)

I like Sub-D modeling, too - I tend to use a very Hash-like approach when I model Sub-d (never been much of a "box modeler") - but it IS great to worry about FORM and not SMOOTHNESS. The thing I really like about splines, though, is that I can "sketch" in 3D - just throw out splines to see how something might be put together - can't really do that with Sub-D's. I think it's all in what you're used to.....

The new smoothing algorithm is a lot like Sub-D shading, but the edges are still sub-pixel tesselated. It's still getting refined, and looking better all the time.... Hash Patches are the core of Martin's technology - they reall are pretty unique, so I can kind of understand why he's not willing to give them up. They aren't a BAD idea, they just need to be brought up to date.

I think Martin is mellowing - I'll never forget the first time I met him at a show (I had no idea who he was) - I said something like, "Yeah, I really love AM - you've got some of the coolest tools out there - but JEEEZ does the renderer SUCK!" - I thought he was going to pop a vein - took two - programmers to pull him off me - LOL! He has been listening - and although I still manage to set him off now and then, we've been making progress. If I didn't think the program was going anywhere, I'd stop using it.....

Valiu Wrote:
my god!!!!
and i say...my god....!!!
man...you are so good....
princess...you are so sexy!!!
i guess she is single...????!!!

Thanks, Valiu :)

Yes, she is single, but she tells me she'd only go out with a guy who could take her in a knife fight.....
Philipe Wrote:

I like a lot. The image is good. The materials too. I love the skin tone, and metal of the swird. But the awesome is the bone texture.
I still looking a few minutes to be right if it is really 3d model or an real 3d model. ( miniature)
I think you can just refine the ground little a bit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Philipe. The bone texture is a combination of procedural and texture maps. The ground is a bit "plain" because I kind of was going for that "studio photograph" look. I plan on doing some additional images with much more involved compositions and sets......

Intonater wrote:
Good model and material,but I felt a little strange about waist: It seemed too thin to support the weight of body upside, or that was your art style?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Intonater - her waist IS pretty small, but she's also pretty "hippy" - AND she's based on a Bisley painting - so she's got to be "blown out" at least a little :) It should be interesting to see her animated.....

Thanks everybody for taking the time to critique :)

JoeW

lildragon
06-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by JoeW

Thanks, Tito - I'm honored :) I'm beginning to think that you're not a boob man, though - LOL! Thanks also for replacing the link - Hash's site can be a bit slow for some people :)

Well deserved! And you got me, I'm more a lip and buttocks kinda guy :cool:

-lild

Askhanir
06-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Have you got her phone number ?! :bounce:

Nakalay
06-16-2003, 09:07 AM
Nice picture :beer:

andrewj
06-19-2003, 02:15 PM
:applause:

this one is real superb. how long did this one take to realize?

kcoyle
06-19-2003, 04:00 PM
ah, the reason why teenage girls become anorexic, and obsess over their appearance. i love the pose, it has a feeling of life to it that isnt always easy to pull off. good job :)

xeno
06-19-2003, 04:37 PM
this is just plain awesome!! The pose is brilliant and indeed gives it a very lifely quality. The render itself is incredible and gives it a very unique look!

awesome awesome work!

onlooker
06-19-2003, 06:37 PM
I think she is incredible. I'm not that concerned about the body proportions. Plenty of women look like that. Although, I'm an @ss, Legs, and Lips guy myself. :)

Hash should put up a Demo of Animation-Master at their site. After seeing works like this I would like to try out their modeling tools. You did a really good job. Congrats!
It took some doing in PS, but she just made my awesome desktop of the month. :)

kcoyle
06-19-2003, 06:43 PM
i know of no women that has an amazing body like that. it is exxagerated, which is one of the fun aspects of cg. but yes it is a great model, i especially love the color. it was very well done.

ngrava
06-20-2003, 08:11 AM
I just realized that I Avalanche is in Utah or something... Right? For a minute I was confused and thought it was up in Seattle. That's why I said I was just down the road from you in P-town (Portland, Or that is)

Anyway, I should have mentioned that I used to work for Hash back in 95 and 96. (Actually I think we've met before when you guys came by one time) So, I know all to well what it's like working with Martin. He's a really fantastic guy... But a little in he own world at times. I'm sure he'd probably say the same thing about me. Nobody’s perfect. ;-)

Originally posted by JoeW

Thanks GB! I feel fortunate to work around as many talented people as I do. We argue a lot, but once you get used to the fact that it's about the work and not personal, it just makes you better :)

I like Sub-D modeling, too - I tend to use a very Hash-like approach when I model Sub-d (never been much of a "box modeler") - but it IS great to worry about FORM and not SMOOTHNESS. The thing I really like about splines, though, is that I can "sketch" in 3D - just throw out splines to see how something might be put together - can't really do that with Sub-D's. I think it's all in what you're used to.....

I know what you mean. Just drawing contours and edges is a great way to model. I wish there was a way to combine the two. Actually, I've been thinking about this for some time now and I think there is... I just need to talk to Martin about it. Maybe I can convince him of some things.

The new smoothing algorithm is a lot like Sub-D shading, but the edges are still sub-pixel tesselated. It's still getting refined, and looking better all the time.... Hash Patches are the core of Martin's technology - they reall are pretty unique, so I can kind of understand why he's not willing to give them up. They aren't a BAD idea, they just need to be brought up to date.

Yeah, I hear you on that. Like I was saying, I think there may be some happy medium.

I think Martin is mellowing - I'll never forget the first time I met him at a show (I had no idea who he was) - I said something like, "Yeah, I really love AM - you've got some of the coolest tools out there - but JEEEZ does the renderer SUCK!" - I thought he was going to pop a vein - took two - programmers to pull him off me - LOL! He has been listening - and although I still manage to set him off now and then, we've been making progress. If I didn't think the program was going anywhere, I'd stop using it.....

LOL! I can imagine the fear you must have felt. :D I can get pretty scary when he wants to. He’s a good guy though.

-=GB=-

Ian0303
06-20-2003, 08:25 AM
nice nice nice
I like it very much:applause: :applause: :bounce: :wip: :thumbsup: :drool:

fluxgrafx
06-20-2003, 09:19 AM
flatten the leading foot so it looks like it has some weight and looks planted on the ground. this is very good work.

logante
06-20-2003, 11:18 AM
woooooowwwww!!!!!!!It like me Very much,it`s impressive,congratulation!!!

regards for all from Spain:wavey: :wavey:

John Keates
06-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Congrats Joe! I realy admire your work.

It is actually posssible that Steve will pass on thowing an eppy about people breaking the preciouse list rules and referencing CG-talk. I think that this will be a good year for AM. I am starting to dream of version 11 already.

Those new dynamic constraints will come in handy for certain parts of her anatomy I think.:drool:

Shamarin
06-21-2003, 10:44 PM
WOW!:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
up side be COOl!
Great job!

John Keates
06-22-2003, 10:42 AM
I am going to be boring now and ask about the render settings that you used. It looks as if you were using a lot of passes and a fair few shadow samples. Must have taken a good while to render. How is the mission to get better render speed going?

JOA
06-22-2003, 05:26 PM
really impressive
nice work

JoeW
06-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Well, now I'm pissed. The CGTalk server puked my rather extensive reply and I lost about an hour - jeeez that's annoying!

Sorry for my slacking - we've been grinding through a cinematic at work, and I've been working some pretty crazy hours....

Thanks, all for the compliments and the critiques!

Askhanir Wrote:
Have you got her phone number ?!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only way to get it is to beat her in a knife fight. It's up to you.

andrewj

this one is real superb. how long did this one take to realize?

Well, it was done over a long period - about 5 months of a couple of hours here, a few minutes there. If I had to recreate it, I could do it in about 2 weeks of full-time work. Not terribly fast, but I tend to do a lot of experimentation which slows down the overall process....

kcoyle wrote:
ah, the reason why teenage girls become anorexic, and obsess over their appearance. i love the pose, it has a feeling of life to it that isnt always easy to pull off. good job

I had no idea I had that kind of power. I promise to use it only for Good.

onlooker wrote:
Hash should put up a Demo of Animation-Master at their site. After seeing works like this I would like to try out their modeling tools. You did a really good job. Congrats!
It took some doing in PS, but she just made my awesome desktop of the month.

Well, if enough people ask for it, I'm sure it would happen. You might try writing to Steve@hash.com and see what he says.

If you do get hold of it, give it a chance. The modeling tools are very simple, but it takes a while to gain what's known as "splinemanship" - the ability to efficiently use and know how NOT to use splines in a model.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
kcoyle wrote:
i know of no women that has an amazing body like that. it is exxagerated, which is one of the fun aspects of cg. but yes it is a great model, i especially love the color. it was very well done.

She *is* exaggerated, but not THAT far off from some women. I know, I dated one for a couple of years (still a good friend).

I'd suggest you start hanging out in gyms - when I was living in Florida, I saw a LOT of gorgeous women in the gyms there....

ngrava wrote:
I just realized that I Avalanche is in Utah or something... Right? For a minute I was confused and thought it was up in Seattle. That's why I said I was just down the road from you in P-town (Portland, Or that is)
Yep - Snot Lake City. Much as I'd rather live elsewhere (Seattle would be nice) - I *do* love my job - and that's worth a lot to me.

So you used to work for Hash, eh? I wish they had a bigger staff - the product evolved a lot faster when they were doing internal projects. I think they're a lot smaller now than when you were there. I've never gone up there - seems my boss (Jeff Bunker) wants to keep me as far away from Martin as possible - LOL!

Good luck on getting Martin to do what you mentioned - I think the renderer is vastly improved over what it used to be, but *better* is always welcome...

Fluxgrafx wrote:
flatten the leading foot so it looks like it has some weight and looks planted on the ground. this is very good work.

I did this as much as possible - the mesh is really light, so it's hard to do "squishing" in certain areas. That, combined with my underlighting make her look a little "floaty". Thanks for the critique - and the compliment :)

John Keates wrote:
Congrats Joe! I realy admire your work.

It is actually posssible that Steve will pass on thowing an eppy about people breaking the preciouse list rules and referencing CG-talk. I think that this will be a good year for AM. I am starting to dream of version 11 already.

Those new dynamic constraints will come in handy for certain parts of her anatomy I think.

Thanks, John :) I think V10.5 will be pretty strong, and 11 will be amazing -*if*- they concentrate on evolving the software and not trying to recreate it. 10.5 is getting stronger every day - we're using it in production, so it's getting hit really hard in a lot of places. If they can make it solid for us, everyone is going to benefit.

Dynamic constraints ARE going to come in handy - and although I'll probably animate her... uh... "assets"..... by hand (heh, heh) - I'm looking forward to using them on all the dangly parts....

John Keates wrote:
I am going to be boring now and ask about the render settings that you used. It looks as if you were using a lot of passes and a fair few shadow samples. Must have taken a good while to render. How is the mission to get better render speed going?

Suprisingly enough, since this image was rendered at 4800x4800 (I printed some 24"x24" posters), I didn't use multi-pass at all. AM's edge AA is almost perfect now - so on still images, multi-pass isn't always required (it still helps bump maps and such). I did some clean up in PS - about 5 minutes worth, but there's *very* little overpainting on the image. I used 3 lights - a main (8 rays cast), an underlight, and a hilight. The main is the only shadow caster. Images were taking about 2 1/2 hours on my P4 2.8Ghz.

We probably won't push for faster until the renderer does everything we want it to do, as well as we want it to do them. In the past, we've found that it's best to approach Martin with one problem at a time - and I can understand that. It's all about baby-steps :)

JoeW

T-phone
06-22-2003, 06:29 PM
WO! very sexy

(this is gonna be an bathroom incident :drool: :drool: :drool:

Pinky_Powers
06-22-2003, 09:41 PM
AWESOME WORK MAN!!

lerpiedood
06-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Very nice model! AM sounds to have some cool animation features. I'd sure love to try out smartskin deformations. I love the style of this peice keep it up.

Btw I'm from the Salt Lake Area too, I live in Sandy.

friedmike
06-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Great model and texturing. I enjoy the painterly quality of the skin with the realistic texturing of her attachments. Nice flowing curves on the model.

zarkos
06-24-2003, 03:38 AM
Woahhh! So great and so epic! Remind me of Marvel comics.:applause:

ninja noodle
06-24-2003, 04:49 AM
WOW!!!!! love your work!!! am such a fan of simon bisley! you've certainly captured the essense of his style in your model! look forward to seeing it animated!!! :beer: :thumbsup:

makings
06-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Well, I feel I should comment:

Good grief, that's incredible.

I've viewed the wireframe, and I especially like the spline running from the shoulder under the breast... Very elegant use of splines - I'll have to steal it ;)

Looking forward to more of the same,

Mike K.

mehdianim
07-30-2003, 11:07 PM
awesome!
I made it my desktop I love it.
Especially with animation master.
:beer: :beer:

J-CoM
09-12-2003, 08:12 PM
This picture is amazing. The only thing i think looks kinda strange is the medal on the shin/forearm/nipple(!) guards. It doesn't look as realistic as the rest (the textures i mean, the body is obviously stylized). Small thing but the only thing that bothers me about it. Great Job!

Incrediblah
09-13-2003, 02:42 AM
thats perty cool

Terro
09-13-2003, 03:10 AM
Love her, I like feet , awsome feet. And I'm so not a feet person. PERFECT FEET :)

androow
09-13-2003, 09:46 AM
The skin is what I like the most - very realistic. Care to share any tips regarding skin?

DoLeeP
09-13-2003, 10:47 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

WanielJorge
09-13-2003, 11:40 AM
:applause: Fantastic!!! Congratulations!!! dynamic style!! I only see that should not hide the warrior's face... I would like to see the wire!!:love:

doublerr
07-08-2004, 02:55 PM
nice gestures,sexyy

nacho_grande
07-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Simon should see her. I already have the Heavy Metal Magazine which has this warrior on the cover :buttrock:

neozenit
07-22-2004, 12:45 PM
great work...!!!:bounce: :love:

TFarrar
09-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Great work!!!

KenH
09-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Wow. Incredible work man.

Cityboy
11-30-2004, 08:11 PM
Geeeeez...could you imagine if there was a woman with a body like that in real life?

Superb work!

MarkusArts
03-01-2005, 08:19 AM
I apologize in advance for dragging this topic back up - (maybe I should start a new topic) but just having finally signed up and searched through all the threads I could on JoeW's model I still couldn't locate a bit of info. Without bothering the very busy Joe...does anyone know the approximate patch count on Joe's hunter model?

I noted his comment/general guideline in another thread about trying to keep models around 3000 patches or less so they are easy to work with -- but my "realistic" models (with fingers and toes :) ) seem to be between 3800 and 4800 patches...without much...um "clothing". I've studied Joe's wires on the hunter model (in the animations) and my own fem. model "bodies" are very similar -- they might have another 100 or so patches in the main body. But I must be losing it in the detail of hands, feet and head? I mean I think I'm using some pretty common techniques...I just don't see how I could lose 1000 patches from my models without some major sacrifices in shape.

You get used to working certain ways and sometimes don't realize things when you work on your own...and I guess it didn't bother me until I saw Joe's note on the 3000 patches and now I'm wondering how much time I've been eating up working with with "heavier" models. Ha! Now I'm going back and tearing the heck out of a default model to get the patch count lower...argh!

TIA,

Markus G.

JoeW
03-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Hey Markus,

Don't tear too much out - Hunter, in the latest iteration, is 9654 patches total - a lot of that is in the details which are all modeled. If you cound just her main mesh, she weighs in at 3260 (without costume).

I think the 3000 patch comment might have been directed at older versions of AM that would choke pretty badly on anything heavier. I've seen models of over 12000 patches running fairly well in newer versions (although making geometry changes is still a HUGE PITA because of the whole "finding patchs, etc, etc" thing).

I guess if I was to readdress my philosophy, it would be "Make it as light as you can - while still having it look like you want it to" :)

JoeW

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.