PDA

View Full Version : Aug / Sept & Oct / Nov cartoon rigging challenge ErikE

ErikE
08-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I just started working on this tonight. I will be rigging in 3ds Max9. So far I have the basic skeleton done and I am currently working on solutions for the noodle arms and automated shell.

I will post screen shots/videos as I progress

Thanks again to Todd for putting this together it should be a ton of fun.

-Erik

ErikE
09-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey everyone, I finally have had a chance to post a progress demo on youtube. I have been experimenting with different spine and noodle arm setups and this is where I am at with them right now. The spine needs a bit of work but I am aiming for a solution that behaves mostly like FK but can squash and stretch like IK.

I am now working on shell automation and fitting the head into the shell. The Ik/fk is set up for the rig, and I would like to try and work on an auto clavicle solution while in IK for the arms.

The skinning is not final, I quickly did it so I could get a demo up. Any comments/critiques are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl1wHowLHIg

joshpurple
09-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Great work :) ! And that sounds like a good plan for the set-up (the solution of, "behaves mostly like FK but can squash and stretch like IK"). I'll be glad if I can get my stretchy limbs set-up like yours, -I struggled with which to work on first; head fitting in shell vs. stretchy limbs (ie; I now hope I can make the neck/head/facial controls stretchy & still work as stretchy while fitting into/out of the shell).

Cheers! :beer:

rikkiknight
09-10-2008, 09:22 AM
wow! nice work dude!
Ill agree with josh, your aim for the spine setup sounds great!
Looking forward to the next update :thumbsup:

ErikE
09-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the comments! I am really learning a lot from this challenge.

Here is just a quick update for the head shrinking to fit into the shell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn2mQKrIf6E

joshpurple
09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
The head fitting in the shell was/is a tough one for me. Looks like you've got it working great :beer: !

TimForbes
09-20-2008, 04:04 AM
nice rig mate, its looking nice and clean and looks like there are a lot of controls for very precise posing. good stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2008, 04:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.