PDA

View Full Version : messiah for realtime stuff

mbr
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Hello,

i want to use messiah for real time game stuff (character animation).
after studying the help files and some tutorials i recognize there are no weight maps.
how can i export bones with weights to feed a 3d engine.
convert bones field weights or meta effectors to weight maps? is that possible?
can i export collada files?
it seems to me that messiah isnt the best tool for realtime content. because it lacks
export features and weight maps. im wrong?
thanx for any help

mbr

Ulven
08-18-2008, 09:28 AM
There's no collada export, and messiah doesn't support what you would regularly call vertex weight maps, except for using the plugin peksi wrote for it that you can find on our site.

However, you CAN export your weights, just as easily as you could with weight maps. Click your bone deform effect in animate mode, and click 'save weight data'. This saves, for each bone, the weight data for each verticeID it affects and a double for the percentage value.
It's an ascii file, so you can open it in notepad and see. Between that and the fxs file (a description for which you can find here: http://messiah3d.scribblewiki.com/Main_Page ) any TD worth his weight should be able to stitch together something that will prepare it for whichever game engine you're using.

I think people have just assumed that since messiah doesn't use traditional weight maps, you can't use it in games, but really it's relatively easy.

If you specifically need collada for the game engine, I would suggest to the TD to write an fxs+mbw -> collada converter in something like python and run it out of program or with a messiah front end, because it will probably be easier than doing it from inside the SDK.

mbr
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
thanx for your immediate response! you help me alot!

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.