PDA

View Full Version : The Best of SIGGRAPH 08! Vote!

RobertoOrtiz
08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Well it is time to track your impression of the 2008 SIGGRAPH conference

Best New Technology
Best Booth
Best Presentation
Best Convention Special for a Product
Best New Technology
Best Short
Best Art Piece
Best Party
Best Reception
Best Hotel
Favorite Place to Hang Out
BTW for those who wish to answer only a few you dont need to fill all categories...
looking forward to your replies.

-R

SoLiTuDe
08-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Best Party: BLUR!!! (of course!)
Best Presentation: Mark Theriault at the Fusion booth (only one I actually saw)

I only spent a day at the exhibition, and didn't check much out, so that's about all I can vote for! :D

eyesonlybob
08-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Best Hotel: Westin Bonaventure :drool:

jeremybirn
08-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Best Hotel: Westin Bonaventure :drool:

I stayed there (since that's where the Maya Masterclasses and CGTalk Meet-up were located, and I like the range of stores and restaurants inside) but the rooms are kindof small and it's not the closest to the convention center. Now that they have cut-back so much on buses that it takes forever to get a bus back to your hotel in the middle of the day, I think I will go for a closer hotel in 2010.

-jeremy

marksch
08-18-2008, 03:31 AM
Best Party? Softimage, hands down.

Titus
08-18-2008, 05:48 AM
I stayed there (since that's where the Maya Masterclasses and CGTalk Meet-up were located, and I like the range of stores and restaurants inside) but the rooms are kindof small and it's not the closest to the convention center. Now that they have cut-back so much on buses that it takes forever to get a bus back to your hotel in the middle of the day, I think I will go for a closer hotel in 2010.

-jeremy

Come on, Jeremy! we both could benefit with some walking :D

Sheraton was ok, but they are charging for the internet connection now, bummer. I met a lot of cool guys there.

eebnor
08-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Best New Technology

Softimage ICE: just jaw-dropping.

Best Booth

No booth really stuck out. I liked ZBrush. Continuous demos, lots of seating.

Best Presentation
Best Convention Special for a Product
Best New Technology

Softimage ICE (same as above ;))

Best Short
Best Art Piece
Best Party

Softimage (Vanilla Ice was actually amazing so were the go go girls dancing on the pods and doing acrobatics above our heads!). (The Blur was very good but after having been to the Softimage party the previous night, it couldn't compare)

Best Reception
Best Hotel

Wilshire

Favorite Place to Hang Out

arvid
08-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Softimage sure knows how to party! :D

MrPositive
08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Best New Technology - in the Emerging Technologies area I saw a guy fighting with no controller, and instead the screen picked up all your movements. This has to be part of the future of video games.
Best Booth - Pixar, just for giving out so much sweet stuff; Worst booth - Autodesk, their booth is never large enough
Best Presentation - James Cameron on behalf of Stan Winston
Best Convention Special for a Product - Mudbox 2009 at the Autodesk User Group: probably the most eye opening product demo ever
Best Short - Wonderful Nature - that water shrew is a mean mother hubbard
Best Art Piece - all the 3D prints, I just love em
Best Party - Autodesk, finally they had enough food for everyone! Though they need to have more smalls and mediums for t-shirts: considering I have a mu mu dress
Best Hotel - though I never stay there, every time I have to go over to the Westin Bonaventure, I am in awe (I stayed at the Biltimore)

Favorite Place to Hang Out - Autodesk booth, perfect location to meet up with friends, incredible demos, etc./ Guerilla Studio also, with it's extremely friendly volunteers and available computers

gnarlycranium
08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
(The Blur was very good but after having been to the Softimage party the previous night, it couldn't compare):argh: Bite your tongue, sir!!

StuManFu
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I can't comment on the Blur party since I didn't go, but the SoftImage party was awesome. :bounce:

Pixelcarver
09-12-2008, 06:52 PM
I personally liked the Autodesk Party.

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2008, 06:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.