PDA

View Full Version : Robots

Kzin
04-25-2002, 03:41 PM
i made them to learn character animation from modelling to skeleton setup ( inclusive controls) and to animate. i use the robots in my sci fi city pic too.

diazgl
04-25-2002, 05:56 PM
nice robots, but

-i ask you this, why would someone give a robot a torso, as such? The point in a robot, is giving it as much freedom, or at least making it effective. Your robots are nice, but why should someone wanna go into SO much trouble in creating something as rough? They don't look futuristic, and perhaps wouldn't even belong in a futuristic city.

PS: Take a look at AIBO, a small robot pet by SONY, you'll see what I mean by joints, and effectiveness.

Kzin
04-25-2002, 08:10 PM
its a good question, i didn't made me thoughts about the design.
i modelled first the robot with wheels, the animation works well.
the robots are not designt to do a special job. to do a job, i had modelled another robot.-->

diazgl
04-25-2002, 08:37 PM
hmm, nicer design, i like this one better, all you gotta do now, is add details, and make the hands work (he can rotate his arms up and down, but how about left and right?)

Beaver
04-25-2002, 10:04 PM
THey are nice, sure they are not the most well thought out robots but how many really are? Torsos are a familiar shape, robots need some sort of human like quality to make us feel comfortable, so its not as foreign and alien. Why else would companies be spending billions of dollars giving robots expressive lips and facial features? I really don't see how any comment on design is relavant here(it's relavent in some small capacity,sure, but its not really that important considering), hes not an engineer, but yes he could research his models a little more. THat would help and is a great thing to get used to doing.

I think the perfect example of what diazgl is talking about is the robot AMY from Red Planet with Val Kilmer, its really amazing movement and well thought out mechanically, its like a transformer on drugs.

http://www.colinmackenzie.net/robots%5Camee%5Camee_sketch.jpg
http://www.colinmackenzie.net/robots/amee/profile.jpg
http://www.colinmackenzie.net/robots/amee/attack2.jpg

diazgl
04-26-2002, 02:15 AM
wow!!! I just saw Red Planet half an hour ago (yes, for the first time). I agree, AMEE is a perfect example of a jointed robot. She can perform many moves, and it makes her more humanoid, flexible.

I agree with beaver, robots having a human look, as to look closer to humans to make us feel comfortable, but I was mostly discussing the efficiency of such a robot. I mean, making a torso which takes up 2/5 of the model in size, that performs no movements, i think it somewhat wastes the model.

robin
04-26-2002, 02:57 AM
yes AMEE is pretty well rigged ... my only problem with the movie is its " FX Composition" i really didnt like the particules (composition) of some of their explosions ... looked too Fake

Kzin
04-26-2002, 03:04 AM
amee is great, but designed by a engineer, i think. the animations are very very good. im not a engineer, i will try to make a more "realistic" robot, wich have a design that could function.

diazgl
04-26-2002, 03:40 AM
hmm, its a good way to go for it, and try to plan ahead how your joints will be, it helps rather than just figuring it out in the process.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.