PDA

View Full Version : New LWCAD preview videos

philnolan3d
08-17-2008, 03:32 AM
One of the LWCAD 3 beta testers has created some new videos to show off a couple of new features:
http://www.wtools3d.com/swf/online_help/LWCAD_30/Larry/Larry_pat3d_polygon.swf

http://www.wtools3d.com/swf/online_help/LWCAD_30/Larry/Larry_pat3d_vector.swf

All of the new feature videos:
http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?p=3&content=online_help

bwtr
08-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Sorry if I am missing something but this stuff is about the level, it seems, of the ArchiTools and Veloute2 Shaders we have had available for Carrara, for several versions-- cheaper?

Brian

RobertoOrtiz
08-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Sorry if I am missing something but this stuff is about the level, it seems, of the ArchiTools and Veloute2 Shaders we have had available for Carrara, for several versions-- cheaper?

Brian

That is fine and dandy, but carrara is a completly different 3D Program.
In the future please keep in mind that we discourage 3d app pissing contests on our threads.

bwtr
08-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Mate. I have LW9.5 and XSI6.5.

I was showing surprise at the long and costly catch up perhaps?

Brian

colkai
08-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Well LWCAD is a 3rd party modelling tool for Lw rather than a program in it's own right on part of "native" LW.
It rocks my modelling world, how I got by before it came along I don't know. :)

philnolan3d
08-17-2008, 09:33 AM
I too was blown away when I got LWCAD 1.5 for free with a LW upgrade, then I was hooked and had to by the 2.0 upgrade when it came out. Not that Modeler isn't great on it's own, but I use this on almost every project.

FreakWizz
08-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Sorry if I am missing something but this stuff is about the level, it seems, of the ArchiTools and Veloute2 Shaders we have had available for Carrara, for several versions-- cheaper? Brian

Veloute Shaders2, What has that got to do with LWCAD?

LWCAD3 craps all over "Architools" despite them having similar goals and ideas.
LWCAD has things that Max ArchViz artists can only dream off, and the realtime booleans and host of modeling tools can not be compared to LWCAD, and make Modo look oldskool..

And Carrera itself is not quite in the same league as LW Modeler as a Modeler, and LWCAD's realtime enhanced tools, make what used to take hours or days, take minutes.. It's a simply must have plugin for Modelers.

RobertoOrtiz
08-17-2008, 04:29 PM
And with that we stop the app pissing contest, OR I WILL CLOSE THE THREAD MYSELF.
So lets concentrate now on what LWCAD capabilities..

-R

bwtr
08-18-2008, 04:18 AM
Agree---it's all in the name.

colkai
08-18-2008, 09:14 AM
on what LWCAD capabilities..
-R
Where to begin? :cool:
If you've seen those videos, well, how much time does placing tiles save alone?
Of course, the trick with LWCAD is to see beyond the demo and realise that it applies
to anything set up in that fashion, so whilst roof tiles are shown, you are simply talking about mass placement of items.
Likewise the snapping tools, don't think they are of no use of you don't do arch-viz.
I use the LWCAD tools as much as, if not more than, the inbuilt modeller ones and I haven't even wrapped my head around UCS yet. :D

TRick
08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I work with both Max and LW and have been working/testing the new Roofdesigner plugin (http://www.batzal.com (http://www.batzal.com/)) for Max. What really looks impressive in LWCad's roofing implementation is its speed and interactivity. What really is important to have when automating roof setup is support for holes, support for curved roofs, aligning of the covers against the top edge, good placement of the special tiles on the sides of a roof, and correct placement of the covers on the edges. Roofs can have multiple angles and so the edge covers need to be placed on different angles too. This is all not completely supported by RoofDesigner, but they are working on it. Except for support for holes and curved roofs, I can see all these things in LWCad 3, so very promising...

Larry_g1s
08-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks philnolan3d for posting those, I had a fun time doing them. LWCAD, and now v3, has got to be the best thing to happen to my work flow in LW. The tools are so amazing and fast, and with the ability to make your own objects (roof tiles, windows, doors, etc.) to save to your personal library is genius. I don't think I could say enough about this plug-in. The UCS features takes modeling to a whole new level.

colkai
08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
TThe UCS features takes modeling to a whole new level.
Larry, I'd love some more clarity on the whole UCS thing.

In my mind, i thought it was like a modelling plane, but for some reason, it still seems to be ortho locked and not 'any angle'. I am naturally assuming I'm doing something wrong but there are no docs on it so I'm a bit flummoxed. A little demo movie or two would be super! ;) :wavey:

Larry_g1s
08-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Larry, I'd love some more clarity on the whole UCS thing.

In my mind, i thought it was like a modelling plane, but for some reason, it still seems to be ortho locked and not 'any angle'. I am naturally assuming I'm doing something wrong but there are no docs on it so I'm a bit flummoxed. A little demo movie or two would be super! ;) :wavey:Viktor is suppose to be releasing the video manual soon, which might help clarify it. But I would definitely love to do a quick video about it. If I've got some time tonight I'll post something. I had a difficult time understanding what it was too when I first heard about it. In the mean time, what UCS does for the 3D environment is it basically sets the XYZ axis around a designated location (and edge, poly, etc.) instead of the default layout. Where this becomes extremely useful is trying to use tools in a direction that is not X, Y, or Z, but a combination of them. For example, lets say you have a box, and you want to create another box right on one of it's edges...no problem because the edge is paralle to one of the axis. But what if that box is rotated 49 degrees and you want to make another box line up to that boxes edge, but you don't know the degree it's rotated to... because it's edge isn't edge that you want to line up to isn't facing a axis "evenly" it's a problem. But with the UCS set to that angle, the XYZ axis revolve around that angle now, not the layout, and now the new box you make is made with the new angle (ie. 49 degrees) just as if it was facing a X,Y, or Z axis. Is that clear as mud? I'll just try to do a video, it's easier to see it in action. lol Long story short...because the axis are user define, you can set the XYZ based around your models, not have to work with your models based around the workplane coordinates.

Tonttu
08-23-2008, 04:18 PM
So kind of like this http://www.ats-3d.com/cplane/cplane.htm
or Modo's orientable work plane.

philnolan3d
08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I actually just downloaded and used CPlane on a project last week. It works really well. However LWCad seems to work on another plane of existence, so CPlane wouldn't work for that.

Tonttu
08-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Just that if someone has trouble wrapping their head around the idea, Modo probably has some free videos on "aligning work plane to selection".

RobertoOrtiz
08-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Just that if someone has trouble wrapping their head around the idea, Modo probably has some free videos on "aligning work plane to selection".
And that is ANOTHER 3D modeling program .
we activel discourage 3D app pissing contests on the forum.

So Lets stay ON TOPIC or I will close the thread and REPOST IT MYSELF.

-R

Tonttu
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Excuse me but that wasn't a "pissing contest".. I was just trying to help some people, who might have difficulty in understanding the UCS feature in LWCAD..

philnolan3d
08-24-2008, 02:11 AM
I will say I understood that it was just an example of the kind of thing C-Plane does. I haven't watched the vidos yet, but I'll take your word for it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2008, 02:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.