PDA

View Full Version : Theme Planet Skyline, Sormann At Work (3D)

sormann3d
06-01-2003, 10:07 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2664/outside_world_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2664/outside_world.jpg)

Hi!.. I completed the first rendering of the Theme Planet Skyline :)

Rei Ayanami
06-01-2003, 10:12 PM
Really active I like it a lot. How much of that is CG and how much is a background painting?

Good work!

nanabaky
06-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Wow that amazing ! i would be so cool to see a larger version ! very good job

sormann3d
06-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Apart from the clouds , nothing is painted...
..Here is a bigger version...

http://www.sormann3d.com/portfolio/TPpicture/TPgallery/outside_world_big.jpg

Taoizm
06-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Oh so sweet. Great image. Reminds me a bit of the city images from that old movie Cool World. (don't ask me why, I have mental problems. :))

urgaffel
06-01-2003, 11:10 PM
That's wonderfull. You should submit it to ExposÚ

Solesurvivor
06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
wow,this image is crammed with detail, this rocks :buttrock:

saltank
06-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Wow! Looks great. Is it me or is the rail in the bottom left of the screen derailed?

ahattemer
06-01-2003, 11:18 PM
WOW thats really amazing, how long did this take you? that must have been a load on your creativity, creating all those rides, how about more information on the project, etc... I looked on your site and didnt see anything on it. I really love the compexity and how its so busy, I would love to see an animation with tons of movement. If there was one thing I had to critique it would be that in a few places it seems like tracks just end in midair, although that may simply add to the excitement of the ride!!:bounce:

Maybe more contrast too, but I think the low contrast kinda works with the atmosphere here

oh yeh def. submit to expose

Per-Anders
06-01-2003, 11:18 PM
what amazing lighting and modelling. that's really beautiful. the only fault i see may just be because of scaling, but the sleepers on the tracks going into the rapid rabbit have a moire pattern on them, so could do with higher aa setting.

i'd love to see the wireframe for this! what app were you using?

Ed Lee
06-01-2003, 11:21 PM
I like the lighting and light shafts...

Ed--

RJB
06-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Totally fantastic. Nice work.

RobertoOrtiz
06-01-2003, 11:37 PM
You got tp be kidding me!
Amazing work!

-R

ilasolomon
06-01-2003, 11:37 PM
that's CRAZY! you are so inspiring :thumbsup: :beer: :scream: :applause: :love: HARD WORKER ...

stephen2002
06-01-2003, 11:41 PM
very nice, so many little details, so many pipes!

ZVAN
06-01-2003, 11:42 PM
wow, bet u take a long time for that lvl of details! :applause:

Tennis
06-01-2003, 11:51 PM
thats simply amazing :thumbsup: , i really like the look you have in your images.
would be cool to see a wire of the whole scene.

Deeug
06-02-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm very curious to Know what kind of hardware and software you used for this minutiously built scene!

sormann3d
06-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Here is the wireframe of the mid section of the scene...

http://www.sormann3d.com/portfolio/TPpicture/TPgallery/outside_world_wire.jpg

RobertoOrtiz
06-02-2003, 12:05 AM
Amazing!
How do you do your shading?
And what render engine do you use?

-R

typeA
06-02-2003, 12:10 AM
wow..i thought this was 2d...fantastic render buddy:thumbsup:

Chagidiel
06-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Amazing scene! :applause:

Great render too! There is something monkey-island-esque over it!
Should definately be sent to ExsposÚ IMHO!

Gregwid
06-02-2003, 12:23 AM
First of all I think it's very nice work,interesting to look at from many aspects.
However I do have a couple questions: First did you create the models in the back and then take the rendered shot and stick it on a wall like a green screen and then paint in those sun rays to use as a backdrop for the front models? I mean I know it was all modeled,but was it rendered seperatly?
Also it would be nice to see more vibrant colors,they seem a bit washed out,I know it's a style thing,and what you do have is very nice,but I would like to have a more vivid or vibrant look,more of a clear looking front part of the shot.How about another angle or two also when you get a chance.
Could you also post some close ups of the objects,a better look at the details,or were they meant to be more for backgrounds?
Anyways it all is very impressive,very well done.:thumbsup: :beer:

sin
06-02-2003, 12:29 AM
maybe light are too strong ...or not ..im not shure.
Great picture :applause:

KOKE
06-02-2003, 12:29 AM
awesome!!!!!!!

great job.

:thumbsup:

toce
06-02-2003, 12:32 AM
superbe!! :drool:

raden
06-02-2003, 12:54 AM
very impressive Sormann:applause:

I really dig your illustrative classic style. all of these texturing, i wonder if you could show us a snapshop of your texture map just a sample to let us know your brushworks, comparing the colours on the map with the renders. and perhaps you could show us some renders in more vibrant vivid colours, to give them nore sense of depth.

looking forward for some rollercoaster to be animated :bounce:

keep up the good work Sormann!

:beer:

UnlikelyCorny
06-02-2003, 01:53 AM
It looks like that must have been a hell of a job, but a lot of fun at the same time as well, very nice. Didn't you dream about rabbits and rollercoasters after a while?

DSedov
06-02-2003, 02:17 AM
Thats some amazing detail, smart modeling, and wonderfull colors there.

mixed
06-02-2003, 02:26 AM
wow this is crazy. looks awesome some reason it reminds me of the theme park in FF7... anyways great work :)

goodlag
06-02-2003, 02:36 AM
Beautifull work! I love it:drool: :love: :thumbsup:

mohh
06-02-2003, 02:37 AM
This is a great piece, I really like it. You've done a great job!

dimitrios_c
06-02-2003, 02:44 AM
That's awesome, I really like where this Theme Planet idea is going. It kind of has a Shrek-ish vibe to it. It's kind of like a fairy tale but more adult... :bounce: :beer: :bounce: :thumbsup:

JA-forreal
06-02-2003, 02:58 AM
I love renders of huge 3d environments. Most of my work deals with large 3d environemnts. The way you deal with your shadows and light gives me inspiration for the atmosphere of my own web world project. Did you do this for the fun of it or do you plan to use this for a project of some kind or your portfolio? If you rendered it just for our viewing pleasure we enjoy your efforts even more.

Can you give us a close render view of the Rabbit ride? Don't show a closeup if your texture size won't allow it. It looks good from the shots you already rendered. Wow that's creative.

My little cgtalk image will give you an idea of the kind of atmosphere lighting that my web world has. The hazy lighting that you used for your render seems to portray more of a mood. I like that. Wow!

Vexed
06-02-2003, 03:11 AM
Stunning :buttrock: I really like it, has that Final Fantasy 7 theme park look to it.

Dearmad
06-02-2003, 03:28 AM
I simply can't believe one person did all of that in one lifetime. The modeling is one thing, but all the un-be-f'ing-lievable texturing that went into that... OMG. I think I would have been sick to death of detail after detail after detail.

That you plan to animate this thing only sends me packing home demoralized.

-sigh- must... not... give... up... on... own... projects....:surprised :surprised

DogBreath
06-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Bee - ute - aful work, you are a studio all by yourself. I can't wait to see it all put together. The amount of different ideas you have included in this is amazing.

DSedov
06-02-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by raden
very impressive Sormann:applause:

I really dig your illustrative classic style. all of these texturing, i wonder if you could show us a snapshop of your texture map just a sample to let us know your brushworks, comparing the colours on the map with the renders. and perhaps you could show us some renders in more vibrant vivid colours, to give them nore sense of depth.

looking forward for some rollercoaster to be animated :bounce:

keep up the good work Sormann!

:beer:

Sorry, could not resist... You have the cutest avatar!!! Damn that dog is so funny and cute.

hypercube
06-02-2003, 03:54 AM
Wow..every time I see something new from this short, it keeps getting better. Gorgeous. :thumbsup:

Nice translation of the concept sketch, too. Makes me think of the old LucasArts games, especially Sam&Max or Full Throttle. And yes even a bit of Cool World. :D Are you going to add the rest of the signage, or has most of that broken down and worn off?

leigh
06-02-2003, 04:02 AM
Awesome work :eek: I love the painterly look to it, and such a great atmosphere too :D

Strob
06-02-2003, 04:04 AM
So it's for a short? I want to see this!

I like the athmospheric perspective ant the volume light is very well suited. I like also the contrast between the yellow and blue.

Good work.

Magnusv
06-02-2003, 04:11 AM
Actually I don't care very much for the "painterly look " in this case.I agree with a couple others comments on wanting to see more vibrant colors.With such a large undertaking as this it should be more clear,not so cloudy,misty.How about another angle as well,some close ups too would be nice.
Still what is here certanly gets two thumbs up,outstanding work.Just would be nice to see more details and such.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JA-forreal
06-02-2003, 04:48 AM
I simply can't believe one person did all of that in one lifetime. The modeling is one thing, but all the un-be-f'ing-lievable texturing that went into that... OMG. I think I would have been sick to death of detail after detail after detail.
-Dearmad

Like Dearmad said, please show us more details if you can.

The complexity of your highly detailed 3d world brings up alot of questions. What software did you use, did you use layers of renders and composite them, did you apply a painted matte drawing, etc, etc?

facial
06-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Hi, sormann at work. Your work is so great. I love it, and love your work style. Keep post up the great work.
:thumbsup:

ceql
06-02-2003, 05:59 AM
Wow!!! Awesome Work!!!! :applause: :applause: You managed to perfectly translate the style into 3d :D Reminds me of Sam'n'Max stuff too (as mentioned by hypercube ;)

FxWhizKid
06-02-2003, 06:16 AM
Superb! :thumbsup:

great lighting, texturing, modeling, and overall compostion...you've got a really good eye.

TylerHunter
06-02-2003, 06:37 AM
..... damn

kick ass.

I cant wait till theme planet is done,

Tyler

ansonkit
06-02-2003, 07:13 AM
one reason is enough to proud of...and for u, one picture enough to show off...

really nice for the whole compositing,,,good job..

Askhanir
06-02-2003, 08:12 AM
The few details make the scene excellent !

Can you render another angles of this scene ? :thumbsup:

niut
06-02-2003, 09:05 AM
wonderful!! I like a lot!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

dark_lotus
06-02-2003, 09:14 AM
Thats incredible, I love the atmosphere, very moody.!!

Oktavian
06-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Really awesome - modeling, lighting ... everything!
Somehow it reminds me of Eni Oken's pictures.

Hexodam
06-02-2003, 09:28 AM
anyone else having problems viewing the pictures?

seems that I cant connect to his server :(

Kel Solaar
06-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Incredible level of detail!!:eek: I love the atmosphere and the ambiant fog, the lighning is excellent. Very great picture !:buttrock: :buttrock:

Hexodam
06-02-2003, 10:02 AM
at work now and noooow I can see it... wow:drool:

Leesee
06-02-2003, 10:47 AM
I would like to see some closeups of objects,otherwise they might as well be painted,it's 3D so put it to use, and more angles if possible.Plus less fog actually. Give me those details up close.Looks great however,lots of work,and good work to boot.:applause:

Threedeemer
06-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Excellent detail and vision. :eek:

RuneV
06-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Sam'n Max flashback :scream: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sormann3d
06-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! :)

To the questions:

I work with maya and photoshop.

More info about Theme Planet can be found here:
http://www.sormann3d.com/portfolio/TPfront.htm

I will work on the contrast ,but it has to be a little bit foggy
because it is supposed to be the background of some planned
scenes...

Here are some pictures from different viewpoints...the densety of
details is not so high by now that I can create bigger pictures...

http://www.sormann3d.com/portfolio/TPpicture/TPgallery/planet_day_details_small.jpg

spm
06-02-2003, 12:18 PM
how do you get this almost cartoon like hand drawn feeling on the shaders? does it just become like that because its your style or is it all intended?

torbjorn
06-02-2003, 03:11 PM
i'm out of words...your site with the images and anims, that's the coolest thing since the apple pie!!! Are you alone doing this or is it a project with more people involved...It's sooo awesome...

Thanks...i'll follow this one

sormann3d
06-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks!

I am working alone on the visuals. A friend of mine helps me with
the sound FX for the animations will create the
music for the animation ...

torbjorn
06-02-2003, 04:41 PM
May I ask how long it has taken so far to do all this? And how long do you ecpect it to take to complete everything?

I'm so fascinated over this style, this is similar to what I always wanted to do...

khaleghi
06-02-2003, 05:22 PM
wow it`s very nice baby.:applause: :bounce: :applause: :bounce:
:drool:

sormann3d
06-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by torbjorn
May I ask how long it has taken so far to do all this? And how long do you ecpect it to take to complete everything?

I'm so fascinated over this style, this is similar to what I always wanted to do...

Thank you...
I work since roughly 2 years on the whole project, but not
full time of course....
I hope I will be done in about 3 month with the shortfilm...

haslingerDesign
06-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Oh, i am out of words. Your work - the way you handle colors and textures - reminds me on eni oken.I am c o m p l e t e l y stunned.
Your style is great!

Greets&regegards

]gRe[

DAREONER
06-04-2003, 01:03 PM
whaooooo incredible work sorman, very very very gooood:eek: :eek: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Bruky
06-04-2003, 02:07 PM
:applause: :drool: :thumbsup:

Really nice work! Nice render 2.

orange_3D
06-04-2003, 04:38 PM
absolutely fantabulous :drool:

may i ask what sort of shaders you use? and do you use post filters to break up sharp edges of the 3D geometry?

still :drool:

sonny

tom.lowe
06-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Could you show a few textures for your backgrounds. I really like the look of you short has a look similat to Abe Games (don't know if anone has heard of Abe's Odysee etc.)

I would love to see the texture map for the repair dock which has a wonderful style.

keep up the good work

EighthDecay
06-04-2003, 07:15 PM
quite amazing.... :eek:

this film your making looks exciting, I'm sure with everyview of that scene you have awesome detail.

groovy stuff keep at it. :wip:

ivanphchu
06-05-2003, 01:26 AM
Amazing work! :eek: :eek: :eek:

skii
06-05-2003, 02:50 AM
the best 3d ive ever seen. period

Virtuoso
06-05-2003, 04:03 AM
Beautiful,and exciting.From concept/ideas to overall manipulation of the tools we have at our disposal.

I have followed your efforts now for some time,and admired your effort and talent very much.This kind of endeavor is very close to my heart as I have been working on my own private project based on my up-coming sci-fi/fantasy novels. I can only show all of what I have created this Fall due to an NDA.But plan to show some off-shoots of the World(Non-Book related) this Summer.

Tons of architecture,props,environments,characters,and transports all based on my novels,a full vast World. So as you can see it is especially exciting for me to see such an ambitious project,and even more impressive to see it done with such a flare,and in such a top rate manner.

I see sooooooo much,eye candy at every turn,wonderful,the theme is very original,fun and makes one want to see much more.I was wondering if you take certain intricate higher poly objects and render them seperate and map them on planes.It's something I find is essential in helping to create such vast set pieces.

Well I'll keep an eye out for more from your wonderful project,great,great, work in all aspects.

Ausgezeignete Arbeit

NZO
06-05-2003, 11:02 AM
Very very good job !!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Vladvrz
06-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Very nice work,and lots of it.By the way it was mention that render them seperate and map them on planes? What is plane?A box in background with picture of model on it?Whats this meaning?And how high is Bunny rabbit,30 meters? Thanks.
Really,nice work,equal to 20 characters.
:thumbsup: :)

Z-KO
06-05-2003, 12:32 PM
This is awesome! wonderful image :)really enjoy with your work!

veryferry
06-05-2003, 12:41 PM
please please please please please pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase make an animation where you are driving over the rollercoaster called rapid rabbit.
I would love that!

Very very good work you have there!
perfect in my eyes!

PascalR
06-05-2003, 01:34 PM
AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:
Keep up the good work:beer:

fotan
06-05-2003, 03:05 PM
:wip: :wip:
Very nice

Johnlittle
06-06-2003, 07:53 AM
Very nice.Painterly look is not my favorite,but still one impressive idea and well made piece of work.
Perhaps you could put at least one character in the scene close up to give scale,at least until you put your own characters in the scene.It is a little hard to tell what the sizes are.Welll very good work indeed.:applause: :)

victor throe
06-06-2003, 09:34 AM
im not going to read all the replys on this

i just want to say AWESOME!

i wish i could do that

Volcandro
06-06-2003, 09:39 AM
It's incredible !!! A lot of details and great feeling of the ambiance. Very professional job.

lildragon
06-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Do you ever quit!?!? :D man I always loved your style and lighting. You should one day write a tut on your texturing and lighting style, unless it's a secret ;)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

dazrenius
06-09-2003, 04:42 AM
This is very impressive man!!!:bounce: Ever think to animate this scene?

cgooi
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
awesome man, a very nice art piece

theartspark
06-09-2003, 01:19 PM
That looks pretty cool. I like the atmospheric effects that you have in this pic. Nice job!!

sormann3d
06-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! :)

to the questions:

Orange_3d: I use normal maya shaders, during rendering I use
anti aliasing of course, I used a big foggy spotlight and added some glow to some shaders.

Virtuoso: I built the whole scene in 3 different files because of
memory problems, Back, middle and front.
At first I rendered the background with alpha and mapped it on a big plane in the back, then I rendererd the millde layer and the last step was to add the front area.

Viadvrz: 30 meters comes pretty close I think, I added some little doors and stuff to inicate the size.

Jhon Little: I created a new version of the pic ,skyline by night, and added a little bear,character in the right corner:
http://www.sormann3d.com/portfolio/TPpicture/TPgallery/planet_night.jpg
I plan to add
more characters soon...

lildragon: Thanks for the award!

dazrenius: Yes I will do a animation, but t┤his will take me a while :)

sad
06-09-2003, 04:28 PM
great! the lighting is excellent! i'd suggest the use of higher aa to avoid the moiree on the rails.

Fede
06-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Ho my word that is one of the most fantastic scenes i've seen on this board, really love the whole atmosphere.

I hope some of your works will be in the EXPOSE.

Hope to see the movie soon.

later

reetika
06-09-2003, 08:57 PM
REALLY COOL WORK....LOOKS GREAT!

Kinematics
06-09-2003, 09:44 PM
its just magnificent sormaan. Ive been following this project for a very long time and i really absolutely love the style.

Was doing the night version of the skyline scene easy? I mean wouldnt that cause you to have to change all the shaders used to emit light. and rerender those background planes with lil specs of light?

sormann3d
06-09-2003, 10:32 PM
No it wasn't that easy...

I dont use GI so surfaces dont emmit lights... and I planned in
advance to create a night scene as well
Of course I had to rerender all backgound elements new but
it planned to do so so i just had to adjust some light sources
and increase the glow level.

Hey i am on vacation now so I have time for that ... :)

idvah
06-09-2003, 11:03 PM
I love it man, see I'd love to do this stuff once I'm done with 2d animation.

pZion
06-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Very sweet !!!
It reminds me about the computer game "Myst" .. :)

Mike Baker
06-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Wow. truly amazing work. I totally love your style and imagination! I am most impressed by your "stickativity" (if that's even a word). I struggle to stay motivated on a project for more than a few weeks and need to constantly kick myself up the rear.
Your time and effort input definately shows through here!
What more can I say!! :thumbsup:
*Requesting permission to use this on my desktop*

Mike.

Popsicle_g
06-10-2003, 01:05 AM
At planet formed completely by errosion (theme parks and all)!

JDShaffer
06-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Wow! The night shot with the little lights everywhere, REALLY set the whole picture off. I thought the day shot was great, but the night shot is just FANTASTIC! Feel like rendering a 1920x1200 version for my desktop?
*laugh*

Cheers, and keep up the EXCELLENT work!

Jds
http://homepage.mac.com/JeffreyDShaffer

sormann3d
06-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks !
I think I will render a bigger version, as soon its done, I will post it. :)

PANZER
06-10-2003, 09:50 AM
nice work!!. that is soooooooo amazing!. I wanna ride that thing!. do an animation of the ride!! :eek: :)

SketchPad
06-10-2003, 10:32 AM
What can I possibly say that hasn't been said about this image already?

It's so jaw-dropping amazing that it's like discovering a HUGE mountain of work and inspiration.
Everytime one think one has achieved something - and then discovers something like this....makes one realize
the LONG and hard road that lies behind that next mountain.

AAAAAAArggghhh.....You are truly ONE patient humanoid, or are you from this planet?

I'll go home now and rethink my life.

Cheers,
SketchPad

Braxton
06-10-2003, 02:34 PM
i am completly stunned! speechless...

that detail, the look... all made just run a shiver down my spline...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cheers
Brax

Intonater
09-17-2003, 03:30 PM
That is really a wonderful image!!!
:applause:

sormann3d
09-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks again!
I hope I will be able to post an update soon
Gimme just a few days ;) I am close to post something new about this scene

Virtuoso
09-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Ok just a few days.................If not I am coming looking for you all over Theme Planet and force an update from you.:p

I'll keep an eye out,in fact both eyes out for your next update.As you recall my interest is at a high level.Hope to see more soon.:cool: :beer:

mark_battista
09-18-2003, 04:04 PM
truly amazing, well done

Zero314
09-18-2003, 05:08 PM
that night shot is awesome, keep it up man

Kinematics
09-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Can't wait to see more sormann. Your work truly inspires me to work harder towards such quality of work...no...really :D. Oh and the tourist character is absolutely incredible! One look and i could tell he is one and i even giggled a lil.

Anyway gonna drop some questions dont i hope dont seem to dumb or asking the obvious.

How did you do those wooden rollercoaster supports? they look incredible but they sure seem like poly count hell. is there some other way you did it? I mean even if it was rendered alone and used as a background...it looks heavy.

And someone else has asked this i think but you think your gonna be showing off ur texture maps anytime soon and how u achieve that look? Do u really create uv-maps and textures for a big portion bit by bit slowly or do u use some technic ( if it aint a trade secret that is :D)

Anyway sormann as always...love all ur work and thankyou for sharing

:applause:

Pete Latrofa
09-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Great work!!!

sormann3d
09-19-2003, 12:45 AM
Thanks!
Kinematics: I build the rollrecoaster elements like a module system.
There are a lot of modules and even a low poly version of every modul , used for far away elements.
I simply rendered the big versions from all sides with an alpha and used this renderings as textures for the low poly elements.

sixthe45
09-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Wonderful :thumbsup:

mikepolizos
10-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Extraordinary image!
Well done!
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

scoogee
10-15-2003, 07:27 AM
By far, one of my favorite environments to lose myself in.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.