PDA

View Full Version : How to make this

po1s0n-x
08-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone.

I never tried to model this object, but always wanted to know how to do this:

http://www.kalunga.com.br/images/FotosdeProdutos/633871.gif

How can you make those little holes around the cilinder ?

I'm using autodesk maya 2008

Thanks for the help.

Spikecak
08-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi, if someone can post some tutorial here on this model, i will be glad, but for 3ds max, thanks

lordofuo
08-23-2008, 02:19 AM
i would use a cylinder and use a sub-object lattice.

then you can tweak it out till its like you want it. :)

i know thats not exactly what you wanna hear, but its the first thing that comes to mind when i see that..

NoshDir85
08-28-2008, 08:33 PM
I would model it as a flat plane and then bend it around 360 degrees and connect the edges.

po1s0n-x
08-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the help people... i'll try it out.

sprogis7
09-14-2008, 05:28 PM
i would create a curve that follows one of the lattice bars, extrude it, then duplicate special with X amount (however small you want the lattice holes to be) and rotate it 360 degrees then do the same going the other way....the only problem i see with this method is too many polys...worth a shot.

Giap
09-27-2008, 04:32 AM
As for me. I'm gonna apply the transparent map on it. That's the simplest way to make it.

CHRiTTeR
09-30-2008, 09:57 AM
i would use simple primitives for thz top and bottom parts (cilinder, torus and tube)
for the raster thing i'd use an array of tilted renderable splines :)

or if the object isnt an imortant part of the image i'd just opacity map it

po1s0n-x
10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Well i tried to use the plane and worked cool, but i wanted to know how to do that with an array as you said CHRiTTeR.

CHRiTTeR
10-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Well i tried to use the plane and worked cool, but i wanted to know how to do that with an array as you said CHRiTTeR.

I see you're using maya, being a max user myself i cant realy explain how to do it in maya..
But in max i'd model just a part of the grid in such a way i can copy/instance it in a circullar way around the centerpoint of the bin. The tool to do this in max is called 'array'. Maybe you should ask how to do this in the maya forums, im sure someone can help you there :)

NSF
10-22-2008, 05:15 AM
Make a cylinder that's the right diameter in 36 steps, delete the caps.
Move the object to 0,0,0. Highlight only on of these original sides, invert the selection, delete those 35 faces. Now model a hole in this piece, a diamond shaped hole. Then array this 'hole' once you are finished. Array it 35 times, using the rotation, with 10 degrees as the rotation amount.

There you have one ring of the bin.

Then copy this up, rotate it 5 degrees and line up and weld to the first ring.

Copy this piece up, weld and repeat.

The way I have described will make for holes which will look more like a grater but with some tweaking of the geometry you can get there easily.

Cannoth
10-27-2008, 08:44 PM
looks like a job perfect for houdini

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2008, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.