PDA

View Full Version : need help building AMD

treemont
06-01-2003, 08:46 PM
hello :)

I'm "upgrading" my old pc (keeping just the soundcard, mouse, speekers, etc...)

I'm thinking to go with (from reading the forum) ;) :

Athlon XP 2700
ASUS A7N8X motherboard
ASUS GEFORCE-4 V9280 TI4200

still not sure what kind of RAM 2x512 or 1x1024... and from what brand

does it sound good or should i look in to pro video cards or dual cpu...?
I'm just starting in Max and will be learning Maya in school in a year or two.... I thinking not to go with too expensive stuff, since in couple of years i'll probably need a new upgrade :shrug: and will hopefully know much more about hardware :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for all the advices,,, and if someone is from Montreal by any chance, should i buy online or are there any good places to buy ;)

kex
06-01-2003, 10:30 PM
make shore ur using a nforce 2 mother board and either go with 2600+ or 2800+ i think they give u more bang for ur buck or a barton 2500+ is ment to be ace

Clondike7
06-01-2003, 10:55 PM
as was said, get an nForce2 motherboard, and a Barton Core processor (i have a +3000 333Mhz FSB), they have really gone down in price these last couple of days (i bought mine at $327 and now they at $260)

as for the RAM, go with 2 x 512mb Corsairs and put them in Dual Channel configuration for added speed boost.

treemont
06-01-2003, 11:21 PM
thanks kex and Clondike7 :)

made a quik look-up, yes ASUS A7N8X (http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm) has a nForce2 chipset if i understand it correctly... there are 2 models: deluxe has onboard sound... i'll keep my old creative platinum card and go for a regular version

I read a lot a good stuff about Corsairs, so i think i go with that :) not sure how to put them in Dual Channel configuration but that's probably later...

gonna look up the Barton Core processor now
:bounce:

Clondike7
06-01-2003, 11:25 PM
to put them in dual configuration it depends on the motherboard, all u have to do is put the RAM on either 1 & 2 slots or 2 & 3, some motherboards support 1 & 3 slots. Check it out, its not rocket science. :thumbsup:

DaForce
06-02-2003, 01:09 AM
Sounds like a great combo, very similiar to what i have actually :-)

The 2700 is a great little performer, true the bartons have a large L2 cache but it depends on what you are doing, because most of the time the bartons end up being slower than the XP's.

I would go for the 2700, as it performs better than the 2500 bartons.

elvis
06-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by treemont
made a quik look-up, yes ASUS A7N8X (http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm) has a nForce2 chipset if i understand it correctly... there are 2 models: deluxe has onboard sound... i'll keep my old creative platinum card and go for a regular version

the deslux also has onboard firewire and USB2.0. you can always disable the onboard sound if you still want teh other features.

treemont
06-02-2003, 02:08 AM
ok thx Clondike7 :thumbsup:

@ Daforce: yours looks all nice and running! :buttrock:
I still need to buy all the parts and put them together, i had SOOOO many troubles with my old 1G Thunderbird over the past 2 years hehe (overheating, changing fans...) that I'm sure i'll enjoy building this baby :beer:
as for what i'll be doing for now i'm modeling, rendering (max newbee level, not for long i hope ;)) a lot of photoshop as well... not much time for gaming...
where i am, the prices are: 2500 - 140$, 2700 - 230$, 2800 - 290$ and 3000 - 400$ (in canadian $)

@ elvis: thanx man you're probably right :thumbsup:

maybe someone can explain me what's the difference btw the two 128M models of the video card ASUS V9280 GeForce 4 Ti 4200-8X (http://usa.asus.com/vga/agpv9280/specification.htm) the STVD costs over 100$ more...

DaForce
06-02-2003, 03:05 AM
treemont:
'tis running very nicely :-)
Yeah go for the 2700, as there is very little speed difference between that and the 2800.

I think the difference between the 2 cards, is that the more expensive one, is actually faster. From what i could see the clock speeds are 500mhz and 600mhz respectively.

MadMax
06-02-2003, 06:31 PM
You should get the Deluxe.

A7N8X is going through some "model changes" with the up[grase to the Ultra 400 chipset.

The non deluxe boards as I understand it will not have dual channel memory capability.

Corsair has an "X" or Twin X memory modules, PC3200 that works great with this board.

The onboard sound is better than your creative soundcard.

The Firewire is quite useful.

kex
06-02-2003, 09:06 PM
yeah i though u ment thorough xp not barton it all depends on ur price range but i do know barton 2800+ 3000+ 3200+ all out perform each other in a way i believe the 2800+ has a faster processor speed yet has less cache than 3000+ and 3200+. they allso all out perform and get outperformed by a 3ghz p4 in diffrent programs and operations.

treemont
06-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks a lot for the additional info and your help guys :airguitar

@ MadMax: the sound is important to me as well, 'cause i do some recording and editing (just guitar and keyboard)...
I know the "live Platinum 5.1" is over 2 years old, but seems to work ok...
why do you think that onboard sound is bettet?

and i'm going for the deluxe now by the way :cool: it's only 25$ diff.

and also, could you or someone else explain the models of Corsair ... there quite a few and i'm not sure what's better; twin x... is it like 2 modules of 512 but there are twins? :shrug: i'm kinda lost but i'll try to check the website again :)

@ kex: thanks for the insights :thumbsup:
if i'll have some money left i'll get the 2800, but i also need to get a box and a harddrive... so probably not...

@ DaForce: do you think the speed difference is great btw the 2 cards?

YOu guy are helping me tonns!!! THANK YOU :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DaForce
06-03-2003, 08:32 AM
The onboard sound in the deluxe model is great, its almost on par with the Audigy 2. It would definitly be better than your Live 5.1.

There is no piont spending the extra money on the 2800 as the performance increase is not worth the price difference at the moment, just stick with the 2700 and if you feel the need for more power just overclock a little :-). But if you do plan on overclocking i would highly recommend using a better heatsink and fan, than the standard one. The SLK-800 and SmartFan 2 combo that im using works great.

The speed difference would be noticable but you can probably just overclock the cheaper one to atleast the same specs without a problem.

Glad I/We could help you :-)

Clondike7
06-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Hey

The onboard SoundStorm audio is definetly better than that Live 5.1 (i had one, this replaced it)

As for the Corsair Twin X. They are expensive. The thing that makes them special is that they are designed for Dual Channel performance, as they are completely identical modules. Dual Channel would also work with any other RAM modules, just that these are the best for the job :thumbsup:

3Dfx_Sage
06-04-2003, 02:50 AM
try a cheap Wildcat VP as it will give you all the nessesary pro 3d acceleration without the price of a Quadro or FireGL.

Mananetwork
06-18-2003, 05:18 AM
Got a question about the soundstorm.

-Does it only come on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe?

-If I was to buy the Asus A7V8X-X, would the sound on it be just as good?

-Can regular 333bus ram work on the dual channel nforce?

3Dfx_Sage
06-18-2003, 06:44 AM
soundstorm is a part of the nForce and nForce2 chipset, all boards have it (except one wierd off-brand board). regular DDR333 will work fine.

Mananetwork
06-18-2003, 08:16 AM
I know 333bus will work, but what I was asking was if they can double up like the 400bus and instead of generating 3.2gb/s, but do the 6.4gb/s

Dual-Channel DDR400 Support
The 128-bit TwinBank DDR Memory architecture doubles the DDR 400 (PC3200) bandwidth. System bottlenecks are eliminated with balanced architecture and peak bandwidth up to 6.4GB/s.

It doesn't really say if it can do it to lower frequencies like 266 or

And second thing. I'm goign through the asus webpage and the only one they label having soundstorm is the deluxe
The rest with nforce and via have regular 6channel audio

3Dfx_Sage
06-18-2003, 06:24 PM
indeed, it does appear that the on non-deluxe version Asus has spent more money to put a seperate audio DSP on it so that they could try and make more money from the "deluxe" version by including features that are native to the chipset and don't actually cost anything extra to use...... bastards.

anyhow... yes, 200/266/333/400 memory bus will all work in dual channel. However, you the nForce2 has been highly optimized for synchronous memory and cpu FSB speeds, so you will actually get a performance increase by simply running the memory at the same FSB speed as the cpu (ie if you have a 400fsb cpu then invest in some DDR400, if you have a 266fsb cpu then underclock your DDR333 to run at 266).

If you want an excellent article on nForce2 motherboards, including the A7N8X Deluxe, go to http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1759&p=7

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.