PDA

View Full Version : boy i'm glad I had a free pass

muzbee3d
08-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Lots of the same old stuff, lots of reels and demos that were a 3d blur of the same stuff again. Maybe a few slight bright spots but nothing to change the the world of 3D, Nvida had there overgrown break out shoe box packed with hot running graphic cards. Didn't see anything amazing running on them. There was a tiny one man booth with a 4K rez 60 inch LCD screen from Japan that was awsome and only 60,000 dollars. We will see 4k's comming down in price and more in a few years.

But the writing is on the wall, 3d printing is for sure quickly comming down in price for equipment and services. I cant wait to get my 3d 500.00 printer in a few years to get my stuff off the 2d screen its trapped in.

The best time for me was seeing the ART and advanced Tech displays. Japan looks to be way ahead in that game.

Its a mans show, cracks me up about 100 males to 1 female.
Guess chicks dont dig siggy !

popflier
08-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I am a female here at SIGGRAPH and I felt totally outnumbered by men. Funny too because the university I just graduated from is about evenly split in ratio of men to women.

Course, I thought the entrance requirements to the Blur party were quite demeaning to women. Some pretty hard up boys...

gnarlycranium
08-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I am a female here at SIGGRAPH and I felt totally outnumbered by men. Funny too because the university I just graduated from is about evenly split in ratio of men to women.

Course, I thought the entrance requirements to the Blur party were quite demeaning to women. Some pretty hard up boys...Actually, the gender gap has been greatly improving. When I started attending siggraph six years ago, it was fully like 20 to 1. At the first couple if CGTalk meetings I was one of only 2 or 3 girls that showed up. This year there were at least a dozen. As for the blur party-- well, for one thing that's the FIRST time I've seen male dancers that were any good. Which is historic. So they want more women to show up-- yeah. Like you just said, it's a sausage party. They ARE sortof desperate. Is the ticket situation uncomfortable? Yeah, a little. It's not worth getting offended over-- after all, how should they try to encourage women to come? Just about anything would be sexist by sheer definition. Meh.

x-terna
08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Well I did see slightly more guys than girls, but it seemed that girls are starting to like it as much. Not to mention that i took my gf lol(we stayed on the WACOM stand for an hr lol.). but i think there were more Women Volunteers/representatives all around.

MaxBickley
08-15-2008, 05:51 PM

I don't know where you were but I saw plenty of lovely ladies at SIGGRAPH this year.

mayaartist
08-15-2008, 09:30 PM
There were were some hotties there this year. They do need to get more women interested in this industry. It reminds me of the Military.

SynapticGraphics
08-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Yes definatly lots of hunnies there this year...

Titus
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Actually, the gender gap has been greatly improving. When I started attending siggraph six years ago, it was fully like 20 to 1. At the first couple if CGTalk meetings I was one of only 2 or 3 girls that showed up. This year there were at least a dozen. As for the blur party-- well, for one thing that's the FIRST time I've seen male dancers that were any good. Which is historic. So they want more women to show up-- yeah. Like you just said, it's a sausage party. They ARE sortof desperate. Is the ticket situation uncomfortable? Yeah, a little. It's not worth getting offended over-- after all, how should they try to encourage women to come? Just about anything would be sexist by sheer definition. Meh.

I agree with you. This is my 11th SIG, and at 97 there were almost no girls attending. And parties with no girls but full of nerds are kind of boring, because we're boring.

gnarlycranium
08-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I agree with you. This is my 11th SIG, and at 97 there were almost no girls attending. And parties with no girls but full of nerds are kind of boring, because we're boring.Hah! Naw, you guys aren't boring. You just get all uptight and don't want to dance if you're just dancing with a bunch of other guys.

malducin
08-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Hah! Naw, you guys aren't boring. You just get all uptight and don't want to dance if you're just dancing with a bunch of other guys.

Well some girls are uptight as well. Last year in San Diego I tried to ask a anyone from a group of girls to dance at the Autodesk party (in the carrier) and they said no and decided to dance only among themeselves. And I did shave that day :-P

gnarlycranium
08-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Well some girls are uptight as well. Last year in San Diego I tried to ask a anyone from a group of girls to dance at the Autodesk party (in the carrier) and they said no and decided to dance only among themeselves. And I did shave that day :-PDude, not the point. I'm saying guys GET uptight when they're only hanging out with each other, they won't dance with each other they just stand there feeling awkward.

RobertoOrtiz
08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
(Hey Leah...
I am bak in DC san's luggage...)

Noce to see you around these parts...

Anyway about the topic...
I was just telling to gnarlycranium yesterday how different is the gender distribution at the conference now. I was blown away with the comparably high number of young women (god I sound like my dad) who are interested in going into the biz.

I have been coming to the conference for 12 years and trust me, if this years conference is an indication, things are looking way better for women in cg.

MasterZap
08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm saying guys GET uptight when they're only hanging out with each other, they won't dance with each other they just stand there feeling awkward.

Not all of them ;)

Anyhow, I totally agree, this siggie felt way less like the nerd Zone... It probably wasn't anywhere near 50/50, but it was mixed enough for me to not think much about it.

/Z

mummey
08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Yes definatly lots of hunnies there this year...

http://www.fivefourteen.net/motivational-posters/failure%2001.jpg

Seriously, what woman would treat you with any respect in this industry after a comment like that?

Edit: Sorry to make you the example of this thread, but I feel like it "needs to be done". One of the barriers of seeing more gender equality is largely social, where women are a bit reluctant to enter a field where they think there's not many women, and of the men, they think too many will be like this character here: http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/05/man-in-wheelchair-gropes-e3-booth.html

gnarlycranium
08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Not all of them Well, yes, there are a few out there who will throw down, heheh!

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.