PDA

View Full Version : replace usb port and cable on WACOM??

RebeccaSx
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
My wacom's USB finally gave out, it's the wiring just past the end of the port. Does anyone know if it's even possible to get this replaced somewhere, or if it's better to get a new tablet?? The tablet still works awesome, when I can bend the wires in a way the lets the computer read that it's hooked up so I don't want to wave my goodbyes just yet but it is about 7-8yrs old :(

On anoher note photoshop CS2 keeps crashing my system after working in it for 15 min, anyone had som ilar issues, would that be software issues or maybe I need to ugrade my memory etc?? I'm working on a gateway laptop.

biliousfrog
08-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Have you contacted Wacom to see whether they can fix it?

Personally, I would imagine that it would be easiest to replace the entire cable rather than the plug as I haven't seen any DIY USB plugs. If you can open the tablet you will be able to see how the cable is connected inside, probably soldered directly to a board or perhaps via a plug. Find someone that deals with electronics and PCB's, such as a TV repair man, and ask them to connect a new cable. It might not be possible if the cable uses a Wacom specific connector inside but I doubt it.

Does anything kick in after 15 minutes of using Photoshop, such as backup software, auto saves, virus scans etc? Perhaps they're interfering with the scratch disk? Has this just started or have you recently installed some new software or updates? What OS are you using and what are the computer specs?

imashination
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
PErsonally, grab a screwdriver and open it up. You're 99% likely to find a standard usb cale with a standard plastic connector inside. If this is the case, go find any old mouse, joystick, something you dont mind butchering, and just swap the cables. You might need to change the plastic block on the end, but this should be a fairly easy DIY project.

evanfotis
08-16-2008, 07:19 PM
I just can't understand Wacom's logic of not having a standard USB connector in their intuos models, while they have one in bamboo series..

imashination
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
How is it not standard?

RebeccaSx
08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Well my warranty is over and the guy at the shop said there is no way to replace and if I open the wacon I can damage the sensitivity pad, so I just bought a bamboo, which is the same as the graphire.

You think somebody would have thought of that, putting in a removable usb cable like they have on the Bamboo. Obviously if artists are buying the product they can expect a lot of use and wear and tear. My old graphire got some good years out of i though, and the bamboo is quite the upgrade :-) so maybe it was a good thing. Still, it's frustrating, not everyone has the money to go ou and buy a new one, and when you depend on yours for income its a hard choice.

I don't know what's up with CS, I'm doing virus scans and eveything to see if that's the problem. I bought Photoshop and illustratot together online about a year ago and decided to reinstall it, so now I am having issues. The site I bought it from no longer exists so I can't go back and get tech support, which kind of worries me to contact Adobe incase this isn't a legit edition, even though I have the serial codes etc. It's frustrating. One thing that did help was removing my graphire, it appears to have been conflicting. I haven't had too many crashes with my bamboo

Szos
08-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the throw-away society that we live in today. Very few electronics are repairable, and those that are, chances are it costs more to fix than just to replace with a new unit (unless you fix it yourself).

It's rather sickening if you ask me.

However having said that, you did get 7-8 years out of it, so I would say it lived quite a long life for a +/-$100 electronic gadget. Realistically, I would say you'd be lucky if your new one lasts even 1/2 as long. My Graphire is about the same age as yours, but I admittedly do not use it all that much.

Concerning your PS problem, the fact that the site you bought it from is no longer around doesn't mean squat - if there are issues, you should be going back to Adobe anyways.
The simplest solution in my opinion is to reinstall it. There might be some kind of wasky plug-in/filter/driver problem that is messing it up... especially if you've installed 3rd-party add-ons to PS.

imashination
08-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Im still obviously missing something important. You dont want to open the wacom and try fixing the cable yourself because you might break it?.... its already broken! So instead youre going to throw it in the bin because youve gone and bought another one.

I still dont understand why you didnt take a screwdriver to it and try fixing it yourself.

RebeccaSx
08-17-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm not throwing it away I am keepin it but I'm not going to bother to try anything with it because I have the new one. When the time comes I need a wacom, I'll attempt it but I think the guy is right, I'm probably going to bust the sensitivity, and the wacom itself still works 100% it's just the cord. I have friends that are tech savvy, if they can do it they can have a crack but until then there is no use damaging it further than it is.

evanfotis
08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
...but I think the guy is right, I'm probably going to bust the sensitivity..

Imashination is right. The Wacom rep just sold you a new tablet with the fear of wrecking the sensitivity... You should have fixed it yourself.

But I mentioned "not standard" in my previous post in the sense of a standard external mini usb connector like most devices sport. What is the point of a cable coming from the innards of the tablet, forcing one to use screwdrivers and such just to replace it?
It reminds me of old monitors where the vga connector was "fused" to the monitor and the only thing one had was a tail/cable coming out of the mon.

RebeccaSx
08-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Hmm, i don't think its a bad thing i upgraded, just a pity, and the salesman didn't sell me anything I looked up deals online and found a bamboo on sale to buy because I needed one. My ex opened up the old one last night because he wants to use it for the wireless mouse for his gaming, he changed the cord and it doesn't even read now ( the usb connects now but the tablet itself won't work) so it was time for a change. the features on the bamboo save me alot of bending and reaching for the keyboard for shortcuts for adobe as I can save them on the tablet. Plus it's easier to replace the usb now because it detatches. I think it's easier for the companies to use the old wiring so when you open it up and get even more frustrated you'll be more desperate to go buy something that works, however Wacom has competition with other tablets on the market that can compare in quaity like the Genius so they've had to get smart and get around it.

I know why CS won't work, I have a trojan that has infected a whackload of its files, same now with my painter and some other applications. Good ol deviantart, some fool uploaded "stock images" in a zip thst contained the file and a bunch of dud resources, bastard. Why do people do that, it's so pointless. If they don't want to share with other artists they shoudn't be uploading fake files, it pisses me off.

godblessbotox
08-25-2008, 12:01 AM
i actually have the exact same problem. though mine still may have a few weeks of life left in it.

i have already opened up the tablet before to fix the constant squeaking between the two plastic halves.

the usb cable is connected by a 5-6 pin small plug. super easy to disconnect and replace... that is if you can find a replacement. wacoms official position is no sales of any parts, you have to send it back to repair, undisclosed time length of repair at undisclosed price.

i stumbled upon this site: http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/products/en/2_parts-for-intuos3-ptz-tablets.html

i sent them an email to see if they ship to the US, and am waiting on the response.
if that does not work out im just going to hack down the wire and reconnect it past the frayed inner wiring

Halford
08-25-2008, 02:55 PM
I got an intuos3, my dog loved to play with the hanging cable from my desk... I opened and repleced my self the cable...costed my 5 euros.....and a new toy for my dog to distract her from my tablet.....

Tablet still work fine with no issue.

Hal.

godblessbotox
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I got an intuos3, my dog loved to play with the hanging cable from my desk... I opened and repleced my self the cable...costed my 5 euros.....and a new toy for my dog to distract her from my tablet.....

lucky euro bastard! i got a responce from the link i provided. No shipping to the United States....

Halford
08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
lucky euro bastard! i got a responce from the link i provided. No shipping to the United States....

What's the price? is it resonable? if you want it I can send it to you if it's not too expensive.

Hal.

Szos
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
There is a place local to me (in the US) that has every imaginable cable, adapter, connector and stuff for electronic gadgets... it's like what Radio Shack used to be 10+ years ago - but 10x more stuff:

http://www.cablesandconnectors.com/

And this doesn't just go for replacing worn Wacom parts, but all weird PC/electronics related stuff that you guys might need. Their site does indeed suck, but chances are you would be able to find what you need.

16.50 Euros from that European site isn't too bad for Europeans, but that's like $25 USD and doesn't even include the price for shipping (that is, if they actually shipped to the US)... so you are already nearing the price of a brand new Wacom.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.