PDA

View Full Version : Linking Birth script particles

veldkoning
08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I hope you guys are able to help me out.
Right now I am working against a very tight deadline so your help would be much appreciated.
On this very moment I am using Alan's birth script which is used on his website for making a fragmented floor. In short: His particles are being generated from a Particle Birth script. After making fragments the script is used to animate the particles. But in his example the fragments (broken tiles) don't have animation on them. But how can you make the fragments animate (for example, linking to a dummy) before the deflector hits the particles?

PsychoSilence
08-14-2008, 11:21 PM
i guess you are referring to his first DVD´s procedural crack script. what it does is it is setting a morpher target value (cracked) to 100% upon deflector collision. i suppose you want to have animation before the collision event? would be nice to see a screenshot of what kinda effect you´re after...

cheers,
anselm

Wicked
08-15-2008, 11:07 AM
@ Psycho
Hmm, I think veldkoning is refering to this tutorial: http://www.allanmckay.com/tut/test.swf :shrug:?

I hope you guys are able to help me out.
[...]
But how can you make the fragments animate (for example, linking to a dummy) before the deflector hits the particles?

If I remember correctly,.. Allan used 2 scripts:
1 for making the fragments
1 for assigning particles to each fragment --> If you animate now the particles, the fragments will move along with the particles. I guess this is what you want? And you don't need a deflector to trigger the animation.

Or did I misunderstood what your trying to achieve? (And what are you trying to achieve?) :)

veldkoning
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes Wicked, that's the right tutorial!
haha...yes it's quit difficult to explain.
I will try to explain it again with my actual project.
I am animating a rocket which transforms into a carlight (bulb).
Right now I have 3 objects: Rocket (clean), rocket (fractured) and underneath a lightbulb.
the lightbulb has animation on it (x,y,z position) the animation is coming from a dummy (Link).
The particles are generated from the fractured rocket (see birth script allanmckay)
These particles are being shown by a display node (geometry).
By using the clean rocket with an opacity cut material and showing the particles underneath (rocket fractured) an Collision test event is sliding from the front to the back of the rocket to create a particle release. This works oke! But now the real problem.

Every object is linked to the dummy and has animation before the actual Collision starts, but when everything moves the particles won't follow the dummy and moves outside the outer Rocket (clean version)
I hope to get some solutions because my deadline is closing tomorrow.
Thks

Wicked
08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Any chance you could share the (stripped) max-file? (I only have max 8 and 9 here :hmm:)

veldkoning
08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Wicked,

I can't send you the original file but I will make a simple test setup to explain my problem.
Thks. Right now we will move the footage in Post because of my deadline.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.