PDA

View Full Version : Which level on portfolio?

epatnor
01-11-2002, 12:09 PM
This question might seem pretty silly to most of you, but I need to ask it: When you apply for an education in 3D or animation, at what level does the portfolio need to be, to be acceptible for admission? I realize this is highly independent and may vary between courses and schools, but what can one consider being "minimum requirements"? I mean, do they really want to see mind blowing design, or just a proof that you probably know your way around a certain software, and of course, if you have some or any talent at all.

Any replies will be most appreciated!

So, in light of the above statement, what do you think about this:

http://www.cgvortal.com/upload/jeep.jpg

As you might have guessed, I'm looking to apply for some education in 3D and/or special effects design. And I have listings of hundreds of potential schools, but it is still hard to take the first steps!!! Please give me some guidance.

Thank you for reading this!

Regards,
Patrik Nordlund
www.cgvortal.com

Chewey
01-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Perhaps you should show some wrist/hand skills in traditional 2d art of some type, pencil, charcoal, paint.

Ultimately I'd think you'd be wise to find out each school's expectations and fine tune each application to suit the school you submit to.

Are you looking at schools outside of your home country?

epatnor
01-11-2002, 12:37 PM
C'mon, do I stand a chance in 3D or what? With a little training... :(

Also, check out my url for some more images. Tips on my website design is also appreciated.

And what do you think of the web site concept? I'm thinking of targeting users in Sweden only, instead of the illusions of grandure now present... :)

epatnor
01-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Chewey: Yes, I think I would prefer an education in the US or in Canada (VFS)... And yes, I have enrolled in a painting and drawing afternoon course, because you are quite right - the skills you mentined is the foundation of all design!!!

Staffan Norling
01-11-2002, 12:51 PM
Aw...Du känner inte till några universitet med 3d-utbildningar i sverige? Konstfack vore bra (och gratis), men man kommer knappast in där...

epatnor
01-11-2002, 01:18 PM
www.falundigital.se

www.kub.trollhattan.se/komvux/PU/3D/PU-3D.htm

1000 också jag kommer inte på några mer... Men jag återkommer om jag hittar mera, jag vet att det finns. Bl a på Nacka Strand i Sthlm, funderar själv på den.

Jo just det:

www.3d-graphic.com

Kolla den, verkar bra tycker jag.

Vad har du själv för bakgrund? Det vore roligt att höra vad andra i Sverige har för erfarenheter!

Mvh Patrik

Luiz Felippe VZ
01-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Well,

In my opinion, an Art School is not a decisive criteria to develop your skills as a 3D artist... To became a mind blowing 3D artist you need first to learn to observe the subtle details of nature and try to reproduce them as much as you can...
Here in Brazil, for instance, we have no Art School, and many people here learn 3D by the rougher way, many people here learn by themselves, and even in great brazilian production houses (like Vetor Zero (http://www.vetorzero.com) , where I work) even the most experienced animators don't have a graduation in Art... (my graduation BTW, for instance, is in Chemical Engineering... ehehe)

I know there are some really spectacular Art Schools in the US, Canada and Europe, and I also know we have a lot to learn there, but I don't think a formal education in Art Schools is a decisive question, whether you'll become a great 3D artist or not... It's up to your talent, to your wish to learn thoroughly a 3D software, and to your ability of observing...

best regards,

ambassador
01-11-2002, 01:55 PM
private schools dont care as long as you have money:D

i sugguest you learn more traditional, with anatomy, color theory, and figure drawing before going to a strictly 3d school.

epatnor
01-11-2002, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your reply Luiz,

but I think I'm one of those guys that need a little pushing to really become involved in a project. I know it's a sick thing, but I really believe that 3D and design is what I want to do in my life - and at the same time I have a hard time finding the time to realize this! My work takes up way too much of my resources, and this has been the case for the last ten years! This said, I really believe that I have the talent for it - a keen sense of colour and form, I can spot errors in animation and design without blinking, so I need help to channelize these qualities into something more meaningful than just comment on others work!!!

But which way can I go? Well, I think I have the answer myself, but I just wanted to post this to share my feelings and frustrations. I will take some classes in design and drawing, painting and so on. From there I will try to get back to my computer and do some work. And then - get my work on this forum and have you guys out there give me pointers! But it's true: understanding the surrounding environment is vital, really see things and understand them - that's one of the corner stones.

Thanks!

epatnor
01-11-2002, 02:06 PM
Hey ambassador - I guess you're right :D

I'll cash in my stock options as well :p then it's all systems go!

Staffan Norling
01-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Min bakgrund är ingenting att skryta med...Jag är självlärd (internetlärd). Jag har använd 3d-program sedan 95. 3d studio max sedan 98. Jag har ingen konstnärling utbilding. Jag går nu sista året på gymnasiet, naturvetenskaplig gren. Jag har gjort ett mindre arbete för naturhistoriska riksmuseet. Förutom det har jag gjort ett fåtal obetalda arbeten (jobba gratis är ett bra sett att få meriter. Ingen frågar ju om hur mycket man fick betalt när man listar upp sina arbetslivserarenheter på en anställningsintervju....)

Jag visste redan om graphic studio i nacka strand...Men det är tveksamt om man kommer in där. Om läser intagningspruceduren från hemsidan så verkar det som om konstnärlig utbildning och yrkeserfarenhet är det dom vill ha. Att komma in direkt efter en gymnasieutbilding med taskiga betyg verkar svårt...Jag har även funderat på att skaffa konstnärlig utbildning med hjälp av lösa kurser på sthlm's universitet, men jag vet inte om det funkar...

Dessutom vet jag inte om jag har så mycket att hämta på en sådan utbildning some den i nacka. Om man jämför mina modeller med utgångselevernas så är mina gansk mycket bättre...Om det beror på att jag har mer tid på mig eller att jag är bättre vet jag inte. Hursomhelst, den utbildingen kan kanske fylla igen några av dom hål jag har skaffat mig: character animation, f/x, Maya....och gud vet vad jag mer har missat. :)

arai
01-11-2002, 02:22 PM
just remember that a lot of these courses are going to end any kind of social life for the time you are enrolled. I graduated from vfs (great school) but it is $20,000 and if your an international student its in US dollars, ouch. Also be prepared to work your ass off. Some people expect that they can come in at 9 leave at 5 and there going to get a job at the end of it. There are usually only 1-2 really talented people per class, those people are often the ones that are at the school at 4 in the morning. For awhile there I was pulling 20 hour days, so make sure its what you want to do, and if you do then good luck. Also do a lot of research into the school you want to go to, e-mail students and alumni etc..

-arai-

epatnor
01-11-2002, 02:37 PM
arai - you're quite right! If I ever had the chance to get in at something like FS, or any other animation school - of course I would put in my hours! Like I said earlier - it's the life I'd like to live, so I would'nt mind sleeping at the school with the alarm clock telling me when to get up in the night to check on the rendering progress!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.