PDA

View Full Version : siggraph diary sucks

aL_
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
seriously who writes the siggraph diary? ive never read a conference blog that has so little info on the actual confereance..

most of the post seems to be about the writer oversleeping and what she (im guessing renee is a womans name but i guess it could be either) had for lunch, nothing about whats seen at the show! she wrote that "Some of the sessions were humorous, others carried a serious wow factor, and all were informative" ..well.. gee.. ..thanks for the info... would have been interesting to have some info in What Was Actually Said/Shown!

and the pictures? most of them are of random people that the interviewr seemed to hook up with! the few pictures that actually have anything to do with things beeing on display are not annotaded at all and arent even mentioned in the posts...

this is seriously embarassing.. if you where going to send someone to cover a convention, at least pick someone remotly interested in the subject.. (if she is, she hides it pretty well)

major fail on the siggraph diary..
just my 2c

RobW720
08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
i dont know, if i shelled out all that money to go i would write about what i wanted to write about.

you could always go out and do your own blog of whatever you like :D

mayaartist
08-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I just plain don't care altogether.:shrug:

aL_
08-14-2008, 07:05 PM
i dont know, if i shelled out all that money to go i would write about what i wanted to write about.
you could always go out and do your own blog of whatever you like :D

but its a siggraph diary! i assume cgsoc sent this person out as a reporter..
id agree with you (sort of, why would you go to siggraph if youre not interested in the stuff beeing presented?) if this was just a regular visitor writing about whatever but its not..
on the front page it says its about "breaking news and dedicated event diaries" but thats not the case at all.. i thought cgsoc was like a serious publication.. not maintained by a bunch of people who considers siggraph a free vacation

if cg soc, sent her there (again its the CGSoc siggraph diary) it should be about siggraph.. if i where her boss id be pissed of. compate this to the coverage of the gaming shows.. this is just embarassing.

i would have loved to go to siggraph but i cant because im to far away and have a job.. but you can bet your buttocks that i would write a more informative blog than that..

CGOrange
08-18-2008, 07:45 PM
i agree..... pretty lame, but better than nothing. Last year someone released 3 or 4 short videos of siggraph which were pretty amazing. I wonder if they will do that again?

Kieguy
08-19-2008, 12:37 AM
i agree..... pretty lame, but better than nothing. Last year someone released 3 or 4 short videos of siggraph which were pretty amazing. I wonder if they will do that again?

I know...where is the video coverage? There's a Videos section in the sidebar of the Diary...but nothing there.

I sadly have to agree about the diary...could be better coverage this year.

Titus
08-19-2008, 01:54 AM
seriously who writes the siggraph diary?

They usually have some volunteers in charge of these things, so no surprise.

MrPositive
08-19-2008, 04:46 AM
I concur, the videos from last year were fantastic. I'm sure it takes them a while to get those up, especially considering, like someone else mentioned, they were probably volunteers. Be patient.

Sphere♥
08-20-2008, 05:04 AM
I agree. The diary was a complete waste of my time, just personal fluff, no real Siggraph coverage. I kept checking it wondering when Siggraph news would start to appear... grrr.

I don't understand why CGSociety feature it on their front page like it's their main Siggraph feed? What is this, MySpace? No offence to the blogger, just seems misplaced.

Hitchcock
08-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Honestly, I find the content of this topic obsurd. So what if you do not like it, I would personally say keep it to yourself, do not come on here, the one site the can connect you to all the people in the industry or at least a lot of them. Your potentially burning bridges before you know they exist. You need to have some patience and tack about coming on here and wailing on someone for a diary. As going to siggraph this year, I can honestly say there was alot to go to, and if the person doing it was a volunteer for cgsociety, then they are doing it out of the kindness of there heart. Try to go easy on them. Maybe a better way was to suggest changes for future siggraph diaries , so that the ones to follow have a better understanding of what you would like in there. Ok I will get off my soap box now.

Andrew-Plumer
08-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Stay on your Soap boxes. We have thick skins and we are listening. We know we will never please all of the people all of the time but that doesn't mean we will stop trying. So keep your comments and suggestions coming.

Hitchcock
08-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Stay on your Soap boxes. We have thick skins and we are listening. We know we will never please all of the people all of the time but that doesn't mean we will stop trying. So keep your comments and suggestions coming.

Would you guys be willing to make either a section for suggestions or for a small section for siggraph suggestions for people that are curious about other things.

I leave you on one of my life motto's

"Its easy to complain, difficult and challenging to complement."

cresshead
08-23-2008, 04:01 PM
i thought the siggraph diary was awful..it gave me no news and no decent vids or piks..

this year we had thankfully autodesk with their live internet booth and whilst the demo's repeated after day one they were the only thing available on the net which is quite terrible in this day and age of live net broadcats, podcasts etc...

where was the walk around the show vid and a news segment...either on cgtalk or the other vendors...

in the news section was some good threads but that was about it for cgtalk

autodesk>> kicked everyone's butt bigtime with their daily broadcast and the monday show was different and really cool.
newtek's lightwave>>no live broadcast this year [they ususally do]
xsi..a few vids up before siggraph started
houdini...nothing
vue>>nothing
messiah>>nothing
cinema4d>> press release and some soundless tiny vids...
gnomon>> nowt...
digital tutors>>nothing

autodesk live steram and the cgtalk forum news threads popping upsaved the day.

other than that it was a disaster for linking the siggraph show back out to the net and the rest of the world.

DDS
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
i thought the siggraph diary was awful..it gave me no news and no decent vids or piks..

this year we had thankfully autodesk with their live internet booth and whilst the demo's repeated after day one they were the only thing available on the net which is quite terrible in this day and age of live net broadcats, podcasts etc...

where was the walk around the show vid and a news segment...either on cgtalk or the other vendors...

in the news section was some good threads but that was about it for cgtalk

autodesk>> kicked everyone's butt bigtime with their daily broadcast and the monday show was different and really cool.
newtek's lightwave>>no live broadcast this year [they ususally do]
xsi..a few vids up before siggraph started
houdini...nothing
vue>>nothing
messiah>>nothing
cinema4d>> press release and some soundless tiny vids...
gnomon>> nowt...
digital tutors>>nothing

autodesk live steram and the cgtalk forum news threads popping upsaved the day.

other than that it was a disaster for linking the siggraph show back out to the net and the rest of the world.

I agree with most of the above. It's as simple/cheap as 1 junior with a MiniDV Cam walking around and askign questions. Sounds stupid but you know, that's better than what we got.

RobertoOrtiz
08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Well I hope this helps,
I am in the process of editing and posting (6 hour worth of raw SIGGRAPH videos)

So if you have a request for a topic you wish covred in a video, ask for it, and I might just have it.
ANd BTW I am sorry for the delay in their posting but I am also working on a big comission piece , have to take care fmy fll time job, and had to prepare for 2 job interviews last week.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.