View Full Version : Did any one attend Joe Alter's speech regarding Shave and Hair cut with renderman?
08-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Did any one attend Joe Alter's speech regarding Shave and Hair cut with renderman?
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I watched his entire presentation. Honestly, it was more of a brief tutorial session on how to use Shave than anything else. I will tell you that the most informative part of it for me was that myself and a couple of classmates spoke to Joe Alter afterwards to ask him some questions. We had run into HUGE HUGE HUGE issues which haulted an entire productionere for 6 months. However, from the 5 minutes we had with Joe Alter afterwards we were able to get some information that doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the manuals or anywhere online. Least, we couldn't find it.
1) you can assign your own shader, but it has to be in the renderman path folder
2) you can find a list of MEL commands that work in Shave by clicking on the I icon in the Maya plugins menu.
3) One MEL command that can help to get rid of your globals and start again is to run shavePurge in your Maya scene.
4) The default shader does not have the ability to do occlusion. However, there are apparently examples on the renderman forum of shaders that users have posted that include occlusion. (as a student I dont have access to these forums) Joe Alter said the new version of the shaders will include occlusion from here on out.
5) If you even ONCE accidentally open a file not in the same version of shave that you are rendering from the file will become corrupt. You will need to run the shavePurge command before you can render.
We asked Joe to discuss renderpasses w/renderman and shave and to discuss having two shave objects in a scene that are colliding and trying to render them. We had problems with this, but Joe wouldn't discuss rendering or the collision issues.
That's about it.
08-16-2008, 05:37 AM
well.. thnx a lot...
i was hoping he would probably be showing off some new features at siggraph or atleast mention about some existing bug fixes....or something new for ppl that use mental ray...
like occlusion for mental ray...or improved dynamics...
.really wish there was more info on shave in the pdf thats on his website.....
08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
We had run into HUGE HUGE HUGE issues which haulted an entire productionere for 6 months.
Joe has an email address for these sort of things. You didn't have to hop on a plane to ask a question :curious:
08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.