PDA

View Full Version : Help need, creating heat vapour fluid

cclarke
08-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Hi ya. Im doing a job that needs a football which animates around the globe(earth) which create a vapour, heat trail that also surrounds the ball. Like a slowmo bullet FX with lovely
heatwaves radiating from its shell(wanted?)
its a ball though.
Ive been looking at fluids and motion fields. Would this be a viable solution?
my weakness is expressions and the way to add a uniform field attribute to the MField.

Particles is the other option but to be honest I dont really know how to do this.
can anyone help??
Cher.
cc

DJ_
08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I would do it with fluids and motion field (with the ball as an emitter). But fluids have 82345327 (give or take) different parameters to tweak so if you're not samiliar with it, it's gonna take some time to get the wanted result.

Start off with the "turbulent fire" (or something) example from visor and work from there....

cclarke
08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks buddy.
I was always drawn to fluids. we have a decent renderfarm and boxx 64bit baby so
i can try and push it.
Like you say there's 82345327 different parameters. My biggest problem is expressions.
I dont know them that well.
have kept away from them except for real basic one with particle array attributes.
u know, rand(1,10) etc.
do u have any sugestions of a good site or book that explains the different meanings of code?
I dont even know what '$' means when i see it.
we had a bad year at 3d school. 6 tutors in 3 months.
not one of them was a expert in maya.

hkspowers
08-15-2008, 02:36 AM
Fluids could work, but that is making things much harder than they have to be. Simply turn your ball into a surface emitter and emit regular point based particles, add some turbulence, and lower the conserve slightly. render out a particle pass, it does not matter the color and then use the particles as a "displacement" layer in the compositor of your choice. This will give you the realistic heat mirage look you are going for.

Hope this helps,
James

cclarke
08-17-2008, 09:22 AM
thanks mate. this works well.
should have tryed it. Not so hot with dynamics.
ta.
cc

sFluids could work, but that is making things much harder than they have to be. Simply turn your ball into a surface emitter and emit regular point based particles, add some turbulence, and lower the conserve slightly. render out a particle pass, it does not matter the color and then use the particles as a "displacement" layer in the compositor of your choice. This will give you the realistic heat mirage look you are going for.

Hope this helps,
James

hkspowers
08-17-2008, 08:00 PM
No probs. Glad I could help.:D

cclarke
08-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey buddy. we only have after fx and combustion at work and the particles
didn't work the way I thought they would.
I might try adding some colour and see what happens.
any other ideas?
I have a nice movement with the particle so thats something.
ok thanks .
cc

phix314
08-26-2008, 02:13 AM
Post a screenshot and why its not working how youd like.

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2008, 02:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.